home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-04-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
DennisLiu9797
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(in transit)

Drivetrain Malfunction on 6MT

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with my 2023 G80 M3 6MT and I was wondering if anyone has encountered something similar before. Last weekend, while driving spiritedly and shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd gear, I suddenly lost power and got an error message that read "Drivetrain malfunction" However, as I pulled over and tried to restart the vehicle, the error message disappeared.

I suspect that the message was due to an overheating clutch caused by my holding the clutch at the engaging point for too long and hitting the accelerator too hard. Has anyone else had this issue or know what might have caused it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I dont know anything about this warning. But if the computer can tell when you are smoking the clutch, that's awesome.
      04-04-2023, 10:37 PM   #3
myounz
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Do you have any modifications? I’m not sure for the 2023 G80 but I know I’ve had this error on my stage2 F90 and from my understanding a modified BMW will throw that occasionally. I was told it’s nothing wrong and I never had issues, it would just go away. Honestly I’ve seen it on a couple stock BMWs as well but hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.
      04-05-2023, 08:14 AM   #4
DennisLiu9797
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(in transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myounz View Post
Do you have any modifications? I’m not sure for the 2023 G80 but I know I’ve had this error on my stage2 F90 and from my understanding a modified BMW will throw that occasionally. I was told it’s nothing wrong and I never had issues, it would just go away. Honestly I’ve seen it on a couple stock BMWs as well but hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.
Thank you so much for your response.
It is completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

I had a drivetrain malfunction error when first installing JB4 because one of the wires in the JB4 harness wasn't fully seated. I think I also heard of this error reported related to a bad ground connection with JB4/Fuel-It ethanol sensor install.

So seems that it can definitely be produced due to some sort of bad electrical connection. Surprising to hear of it on a fully stock car, but with so much complex electronics in the cars these days, plenty electrical interfaces that could possibly have some sort of bad connection, maybe? Or just a glitch? Galactic cosmic ray?
Appreciate 0