Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions LCI Main Screen Brightness...

04-11-2024, 12:56 PM   #1
RT1250Ryder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI M340i

LCI Main Screen Brightness...

I know I may be in the minority here but I'm actually a fan of the curved screen on the LCI G20s......except at night. I'm wondering if there is a way to code a setting to dim the main screen but keep the backlighting for controls (window buttons, steering wheel switches, center console, etc.) at full brightness. When I use the wheel to dim the dash to where it is comfortable at night, the lighting for the controls is almost nonexistent. I have the infotainment turned down to it's lowest setting for night driving and if I could turn the dash down to about half brightness, it would be perfect. I can't be the only one that hates a bright light shining back at me while driving at night.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:00 PM   #2
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hellooo!

You mentioned that you dimmed the brightness via the wheel controller near the headlight switches - did you also try changing the brightness in the control display ?

All apps --> Displays --> Control Display --> Brightness at night (I believe?)
- You'll have to adjust it at night; you won't notice anything during the day lol

Lastly, not to down play it or anything, but you can also turn off the control display as another alternative

iDrive controls --> Option --> Turn off control display
To turn the control display back on, just press any button and it'll come back on

If you have the Head - Up Display (HUD) - you can configure it so that your media choices, navigation directions, speed and other stuff can pop up there and via the instrument cluster, further reducing having to look at the control display.

Also, this may not be relevant at all to this situation, but you can dim the Ambient Lighting for night driving - the setting can be found in the Ambient Lighting settings. I'm not sure if it affects the backlight for the controls, but it does take the fun out of the ambient lighting at night, as it makes it very dark/dim. Again, not sure if the ambient lighting has any affect, but it is worth mentioning lol

That said, hopefully I am understanding your concern and so I hope that this helps!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, but keep us posted!

Cameron (2021 BMW 330i - named him: "Hrag")

Last edited by Cam330i; 04-11-2024 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
zlatko132.50
      04-11-2024, 03:11 PM   #3
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Doesn't the little scroll wheel at the light controls to the left of the steering column work?

I'm personally all maxed out on brightness, across the board, and could use some more, honestly, even at night
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 03:17 PM   #4
RT1250Ryder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 LCI M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hellooo!

You mentioned that you dimmed the brightness via the wheel controller near the headlight switches - did you also try changing the brightness in the control display ?

All apps --> Displays --> Control Display --> Brightness at night (I believe?)
- You'll have to adjust it at night; you won't notice anything during the day lol
Thanks for the reply. I have the infotainment screen at its lowest brightness setting at night but that does not affect the driver's dash screen. I keep the ambient lighting at max and was hoping there was a way to only reduce the dash screen. Not the end of the world. Still love the car either way.
Appreciate 0