Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Screen too dim while parking

12-16-2023, 11:03 PM   #1
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Screen too dim while parking

Hi All,

Having an issue where my screen is super dim when I pull into my garage, to the point where I can’t see the image in the backup camera well enough to park. I’ve tried the built in setting for screen brightness in idrive and that didn’t seem to help.

Normally I come home in the evenings and the screen is just too dim.

Today, pulled in the afternoon and screen was really bright at first. Thought, hey! It’s fixed! Because I could actually see for a second, then it dimmed down automatically once I got 50% of the way in the garage. Dang.

Is this adjustable at all, to just have screen to to max brightness while PDC / cameras are activated?

Two potential causes:
- Car has pretty dark tint (came that way from dealer, not my choice)
- I believe front windshield was replaced at some point because when it rains I get a “automatic headlight and wiper system malfunction” warning in the dash.

Am I just missing a setting in idrive or bimmercode? Or do I need to replace the rain/light sensor? (Can this be done without pulling the windshield?)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 04:28 AM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Fix for dimming with tinted windows:
Headunit
3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN
DIM_CURVE_X2 -> 0x00, 0x00
Instrument cluster
3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration
DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE -> aktiv
3005 FuBi_Parameter
DIM_DTN -> 0x5F or 0x7F
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #3
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Just want to add, in case OP missed it, that the thumbwheel at the headlight controls also regulates the brightness of the camera display (in addition to the brightness setting in iDrive). (At least how it works in my 2021)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:32 PM   #4
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The coding work is on my to-do for this weekend. Tonight I tried the thumb wheel on the headlight control again just to make sure I’m not crazy, and it seems to adjust all interior lighting and displays EXCEPT the main screen where the backup cam is. With the cameras on but driving forward into the garage (ie without reverse tail lights on), the camera display is so dark you almost can’t tell it’s even on.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Sound like something is wrong. Perhaps linked to the “automatic headlight and wiper system malfunction” warning you get.
In my 2021 (iDrive 7) the thumbwheel affects brightness also in the camera view.
(I have the thumbwheel close to max and the iDrive brightness 2 steps down from max.)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 07:50 PM   #6
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Made the above coding changes and that seemed to fix it, THANK YOU! At least I can manually adjust brightness up as needed using the wheel on the dash worst case. Will be interesting to see if I still get the warning about the rain and light sensor next time it rains…
Appreciate 0