Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 - Upgrading to MGU

08-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #1
omar28
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

G20 - Upgrading to MGU

I got a 2021 BMW G20 in Morocco. It came without GPS and thus no Apple Car.

I've seen that my car would need to upgrade to an MGU unit along with changing the screen and the buttons(see picture below):

Does anyone know if this is ever possible? And how would this be coded?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
Melosium
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G20 318d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar28 View Post
I got a 2021 BMW G20 in Morocco. It came without GPS and thus no Apple Car.

I've seen that my car would need to upgrade to an MGU unit along with changing the screen and the buttons(see picture below):

Does anyone know if this is ever possible? And how would this be coded?

Thanks
Hi Omar, I'm from Morocco and in the exact same situation as you. I own a 2021 G20 with iDrive 7 (MGU basic with no Nav), also purchased in Morocco.
I've been looking for a solution for few weeks now, but it's quite tricky to make it work. And if someone think i'm wrong, please correct me, I'm very new to all that...

It seems that we need to replace the headunit with a one that includes navigation and WiFi capabilities (for that you need to remove many parts from the trim in order to access the headunit, i have instructions if needed), then replace the iDrive controller with the one that have MAP/NAV button, then replace the roof antenna with a WiFi capable one (Here you need to make sure that when you glue it back, it's well sealed and waterproof).
I don't think that the touch display or cluster/cockpit need to be replaced, since I saw few G20's in Morocco with navigation and small 8.8" display combined with LiveCockpit Plus (5.1" display + Analog dials) or LiveCockpit Pro (Fully digital).
But the most difficult part as I understood from different threads, is that some coding is required to activate/link the new replaced parts.

All this assuming that you currently have a basic MGU unit with no Nav (iDrive 7).
Because some G20s are equipped with NBT-Evo (iDrive 6) headunits and for such case, it's more complicated to retrofit an MGU since you also need to custom-make the connectors/harness for the wiring. It seems that the connectors are quite different between MGU and NBT-Evo.

All that said, it's a quite complex process, and almost impossible without the support of a skilled individual who can assist us with good coding knowledge for iDrive 7.

I'm close to giving up and rather purchase a chinese CarPlay standalone unit, like Roadtop or Carpuride to add on top of the dashboard. It's not the best solution but at least I will not take the risk to tamper with the car's electronics.

Keep me posted if you find any better solution. Ykoun khir khouya
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
Jalal
Registered
Rep
Drives: G 20 BMW

Hi Melosium,

I also have a moroccan G20 with the basic MGU H unit and ID 7 . I thought, from the research i've made, that it needs a wifi antenna + some coding (without founding a trustworthy nor a skillful person to do it).

Could you please share with me what you've found so far about this topic?

Did someone found a solution?

Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #4
Melosium
Morocco
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalal View Post
Hi Melosium,

I also have a moroccan G20 with the basic MGU H unit and ID 7 . I thought, from the research i've made, that it needs a wifi antenna + some coding (without founding a trustworthy nor a skillful person to do it).

Could you please share with me what you've found so far about this topic?

Did someone found a solution?

Thank you !
Hi Jalal,

With the help of nice member here in the forum, he got me in contact with Russian coders that were able to unlock both Android Auto and CarPlay with remote coding session, even when the unit is not equipped with Connected Drive or Navigation and the iDrive menu is not showing WiFi settings.

I got in touch with them and they confirmed they can do the same for my G20 via remote session, you need a Windows Laptop (with Ethernet port or adapter) and ENET cable.
Now I'm waiting for the cable to be delivered and I will schedule the session with them. I will keep you posted about the outcome.

If you want to discuss further, leave me your contact details on DM.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:03 PM   #5
omar28
Registered
Rep

Hi Melosium
I have replied to your PM. Very interested!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:19 AM   #6
jb2005
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello,

I can activate both Apple Carplay and Android Auto on your headunits. I can provide more detailed in private.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:37 AM   #7
Jalal
Registered
Rep

Hello every one,

Thanks to melosium, i can confirm that jb2005 has activated carplay/android auto for me!.
Fyi, i've a g20 without wifi antena. He's the only one that could do it and i can tell you that i've asked many well known coders that couldn't do it!
Very clever guy and very professional!

Jalal
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #8
Magicauto
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melosium View Post
Hi Jalal,

With the help of nice member here in the forum, he got me in contact with Russian coders that were able to unlock both Android Auto and CarPlay with remote coding session, even when the unit is not equipped with Connected Drive or Navigation and the iDrive menu is not showing WiFi settings.

I got in touch with them and they confirmed they can do the same for my G20 via remote session, you need a Windows Laptop (with Ethernet port or adapter) and ENET cable.
Now I'm waiting for the cable to be delivered and I will schedule the session with them. I will keep you posted about the outcome.

If you want to discuss further, leave me your contact details on DM.
Hello
Marcin here, from Poland.
Dou you resolve problem with CarPlay/AndroidAuto install on MGU Unit without WiFi port?
If you have any info, I will be greatful.
BR
Marcin
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #9
Melosium
Morocco
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicauto View Post
Hello
Marcin here, from Poland.
Dou you resolve problem with CarPlay/AndroidAuto install on MGU Unit without WiFi port?
If you have any info, I will be greatful.
BR
Marcin
Get in touch with jb2005 , he can support you achieve the same. Very knowledgeable guy!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 11:42 PM   #10
H_L_
Rep
Drives: 320D G20

@jb2005 PM sent but cant reply with VI because my account is not activated yet 😔😔
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 03:44 AM   #11
Jalal
Registered
Rep

Hello every one,

My dealer have made an update on my g20's idrive due to a recall which led to the loss of android auto / car play that was coded in the past. Thanks again to jb2005 and his clever service, i could get it back again on my 3 series (mgu h without wifi antena) and it was for free this time !!

Very nice and professional guy!

Last edited by Jalal; 01-03-2024 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0