Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Scheduled charging

02-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
stanfonj
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

Scheduled charging

I get my 330e next week. I have a question about the charging and how it can be scheduled to make use of off-peak electricity prices. Is it done from the BMW App, or is it down to the particular charger's app? My local installation company is suggesting a Sync EV unit and I can't readily see if that allows scheduling.
Cheers,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfonj View Post
I get my 330e next week. I have a question about the charging and how it can be scheduled to make use of off-peak electricity prices. Is it done from the BMW App, or is it down to the particular charger's app? My local installation company is suggesting a Sync EV unit and I can't readily see if that allows scheduling.
Cheers,
Nick
If you have a smart meter, and on a TOU tarif, then it is my understanding that you can do either. (if the charging station company app supports it)
Personally, I think I would let the car/myBMW app do it.

This is one of the videos in my "welcome pack" for my car.

ps. would be interested in your experiences with SyncEV if you go down that route as that is a front runner for me if I dont get on with the granny charger. When I last spoke to SyncEV, scheduling was something they were planning but didnt yet have the back-office capabiity to support it. Apparently its ready to go in the app, but not switched on yet.

Last edited by willougs; 02-10-2021 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
stanfonj
Private
Rep

Brilliant. Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:24 AM   #4
Dai.14
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe

I use the BMW app. My thinking is if I use the app for my charger, the option is to charge off peak only which in my mind would mean that I will not be able to pre-condition the car in the mornings(which I love!)...........I may be wrong though
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:43 AM   #5
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Just schedule pre heat in your app for anytime it will work
There shouldnt be an issue at all what tariff you are on for your domestic supply?
      02-11-2021, 02:57 AM   #6
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
There shouldnt be an issue at all what tariff you are on for your domestic supply?
Not an issue, just OP mentioned they wanted to charge at off-peak electricity prices. Think that would need a smart meter and a ToU tariff.
      02-11-2021, 04:22 AM   #7
stanfonj
Private
Rep

My original query was just about scheduling charging during the cheaper hours. In my case this will be 00:30 to 04:30. But the issue of pre-condition is an interesting one.
Will I be able to charge during the night (cheap rate) and then still set the pre-conditioning in the morning (albeit with the normal kwh rate) all on the BMW app?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 04:30 AM   #8
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Sure, no problem as these are separate settings. Only thing will be the pre-conditioning will use battery power so you'll lose mileage. On the other hand I have scheduled charging every day to overlap with pre-conditioning and I have the impression it's still taking power from the battery despite the station being strong enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #9
stanfonj
Private
Rep

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Just use the my BMW app easy to schedule charging and never let me down, as others have said you can overlap charging and pre conditioning for those cold mornings, you will lose electric miles but have a warm BMW )

I only use a 3 pin plug charger and get circa 27 miles without precondition the car takes around 5 hours if needs a full charge

Last edited by cliveywolves; 02-13-2021 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: T
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #11
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
Just use the my BMW app easy to schedule charging and never let me down, as others have said you can overlap charging and pre conditioning for those cold mornings, you will lose electric miles but have a warm BMW )

I only use a 3 pin plug charger and get circa 27 miles without precondition the car takes around 5 hours if needs a full charge
If you have charger plugged in for precondition, you won't lose any miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post

Aaahh I didn’t know that thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
In practice I still notice i'm losing miles when preconditioning, even when plugged in.
And the station is powerful enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdb View Post
In practice I still notice i'm losing miles when preconditioning, even when plugged in.
And the station is powerful enough.
Actually you will lose miles as I discovered after my Podpoint installation in 2019.

The 7kw charging is not enough to charge and pre heat/cool without drawing power from the car
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post

On my July 20 build 330e, when pre-conditioning starts and the car is still plugged in from an overnight charge, the green light changes to white rather than flashing blue.

That's with the vehicle connected to a mains supply using the UK 3 pin plug charger, and to be honest, I think the same happens even when connected on a 7kW charger at the office with a Type 2 blue cable 🤔

I have unlocked and locked the car again to try and force it to charge and pre-condition at the same time, but it won't 🤷🏻*♂️

My 2016 F30 330e did exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #16
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

That's what I thought. To be fair, once we're march-april don't think I'll be pre-conditioning so much, just turning heated steering wheel on as I do this al year round, so most part of the year not a big issue, but silly they can't fix that as in winter range is already short enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #17
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought. To be fair, once we're march-april don't think I'll be pre-conditioning so much, just turning heated steering wheel on as I do this al year round, so most part of the year not a big issue, but silly they can't fix that as in winter range is already short enough.
Mine is showing 19 miles for 100% charge which ain't bad for overnight charging in -5 conditions.

No heated steering wheel this time, after never using it in the F30 (probably the Yorkshireman coming through in me) 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #18
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

I can get up to 28 miles currently with the cold temperatures but it drops to 23, even when it's plugged in during preconditioning. Though have to say, actual range is a little shorter as it drops as you start and turn some heating etc on
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #19
ADIUK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30e M Sport 2020

Garage List
On mine I've played around with the departure time setting.
Generally I set departure for 20 minutes before my actual leave time.

The car is fully charged from the night before and still plugged into the wallbox.
If I set it it for 08.00 it starts climatisation at 07.40.
At 08.00 it is still drawing 3.7kW but if I wait till 08.20 it switches off and the car is fully charged and warm inside.

It appears that delaying the departure allows the wallbox to top up what was used by the battery for climatisation especially with sub-zero temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 01:15 AM   #20
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIUK View Post
On mine I've played around with the departure time setting.
Generally I set departure for 20 minutes before my actual leave time.

The car is fully charged from the night before and still plugged into the wallbox.
If I set it it for 08.00 it starts climatisation at 07.40.
At 08.00 it is still drawing 3.7kW but if I wait till 08.20 it switches off and the car is fully charged and warm inside.

It appears that delaying the departure allows the wallbox to top up what was used by the battery for climatisation especially with sub-zero temperatures.
Will give that a go 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #21
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can get up to 28 miles currently with the cold temperatures but it drops to 23, even when it's plugged in during preconditioning. Though have to say, actual range is a little shorter as it drops as you start and turn some heating etc on
Today's charge looks a little bit more like the miles I expect, without pre-conditioning 👍🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #22
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

higher temperatures and followed the tip of setting the climatisation a little earlier and had a great 31 miles this morning
Attached Images

Appreciate 0