2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Incoming calls

02-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition G81 Touring

Incoming calls

So I've decided to disable and switch off Carplay. It's a nice gimmick and handy for WhatsApp messages but I prefer the BMW maps and Spotify integration (which is excellent by the way). Carplay is just too unstable.

My problem now is that incoming calls play the dialtone on the handset and not via the dash/speakers. Consequently I'm missing calls. When I do notice the handset flashing, I can answer the call on the steering wheel and the voices do come via the speakers/mic. It's just the ringtone that wont.

Any ideas? I have tried every combination. I suspect the issue is on the iPhone rather than in the iDrive but I've tried deleting connections and re-pairing etc. but to no avail.

Starting to irritate me now!

regards
Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Strange, I also prefer everything about the iDrive rather Android Auto in my case and I also don't get any ringtone in the car, I've just noticed them pop up on screen. I don't get many calls so it's not something I've looked into to be honest.
Surely it must be a simple setting somewhere.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Strange, I also prefer everything about the iDrive rather Android Auto in my case and I also don't get any ringtone in the car, I've just noticed them pop up on screen. I don't get many calls so it's not something I've looked into to be honest.
Surely it must be a simple setting somewhere.
Don't think I even get a pop up on screen. I used to with the carplay integration though and like I say its all working in the background I can make calls and receive them but only if I notice the handset flashing.

N
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil98 View Post
So I've decided to disable and switch off Carplay. It's a nice gimmick and handy for WhatsApp messages but I prefer the BMW maps and Spotify integration (which is excellent by the way). Carplay is just too unstable.

My problem now is that incoming calls play the dialtone on the handset and not via the dash/speakers. Consequently I'm missing calls. When I do notice the handset flashing, I can answer the call on the steering wheel and the voices do come via the speakers/mic. It's just the ringtone that wont.

Any ideas? I have tried every combination. I suspect the issue is on the iPhone rather than in the iDrive but I've tried deleting connections and re-pairing etc. but to no avail.

Starting to irritate me now!

regards
Neil
Try this on your iPhone -

Settings>Accessibility>Touch>Call Audio Routing

Select Bluetooth Headset.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Have you changed the connection mode in your car? You can not be in CarPlay, but it still has the connection mode to your phone as CarPlay rather than iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
47yellow
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD, Mercedes C class

I have the same issue with my phone and iDrive. The incoming call comes up on the Rev counter but does not mute my music/radio/Spotify. I did notice that using the guest profile my phone still connects but I get the call coming up on the iDrive and mutes my audio.

I've been through all the settings but cannot work it out! Would love to find the answer in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:

Try this, and deactivate Use Device Ringtone
Attached Images

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #8
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
Quote:

Try this, and deactivate Use Device Ringtone
Thanks for all the suggestions and it's encouraging to hear others have this problem too. Cos I really think I've tried everything to get this working. Just spent 90 mins sitting in the car trying solve it. Had to give up :

Out of interest do any of you have this working? Incoming calls lighting up the dash and ringing through the speakers / interrupting your music??

Reluctantly may have to switch CarPlay back on
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #9
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

But can’t you have CarPlay set up so the phone works but not actually have CarPlay “running”, as it were?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:06 AM   #10
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

:[/QUOTE]
Out of interest do any of you have this working? Incoming calls lighting up the dash and ringing through the speakers / interrupting your music??
:[/QUOTE]
Mine works fine, but I am running a guest profile, I don't have Car Play on, AA is irrelevant as I am iPhone and the BMW Connected app tells me to login 🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:20 AM   #11
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Same here, but I'm using my personal profile.

I used to have the same issue with a different software version, but with the current one and after deactivating that option, as in the screenshot above, I've got it to work properly, independent of whether I'm using AA or not.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
Same here, but I'm using my personal profile.

I used to have the same issue with a different software version, but with the current one and after deactivating that option, as in the screenshot above, I've got it to work properly, independent of whether I'm using AA or not.
Ok I just tried the other key and guest profile and it did work. So maybe I need to delete my profile and start again.
Appreciate 0