Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) rear diffuser with rain light

07-29-2023, 03:31 PM   #1
Frunzik340
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

rear diffuser with rain light

Anyone know how the wiring is supposed to be connected for the rain light to the tail light like what color goes to what wire
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 11:32 PM   #2
NickMyers
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Lightbulb How to wire up rain light (3rd brake light) for G20 330i/M340i

Hey Frunzik,

This summer I did a rain light install on my '19 G20 330i. I uploaded a youtube tutorial on the entire process. The wiring instructions are in the video.

If you want the short and sweet, the diffuser has 3 wires on it. Yellow, Red, and Black.

The yellow wire will give you a constant connection to the brake light. Meaning it will be on all the time whenever your car is running. This is the wiring configuration I am currently running, but will probably be changing soon...

As far as I'm concerned, using the Red wire from the diffuser will only activate it when you are using your brakes, AKA the intended purpose of the light.

From the tail light, you have to take it out, unplug it and access the wire harness attached to the car. You can see a detailed example on my YouTube.

From the tail light side of things, you only are tampering with the brown wire and the purple/white wire.

The black wire on the diffuser is the ground, which goes to the brown cord on the tail light. Subsequently, you then wire either the Red or Yellow wire (depending on your lighting preference) to the Purple/White wire from the light hardness.

Plug everything back in and you are good to go.
Appreciate 1
cc009132.50
      10-26-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
cc009
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i X drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMyers View Post
Hey Frunzik,

This summer I did a rain light install on my '19 G20 330i. I uploaded a youtube tutorial on the entire process. The wiring instructions are in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZU...nnel=NickMyers

If you want the short and sweet, the diffuser has 3 wires on it. Yellow, Red, and Black.

The yellow wire will give you a constant connection to the brake light. Meaning it will be on all the time whenever your car is running. This is the wiring configuration I am currently running, but will probably be changing soon...

As far as I'm concerned, using the Red wire from the diffuser will only activate it when you are using your brakes, AKA the intended purpose of the light.

From the tail light, you have to take it out, unplug it and access the wire harness attached to the car. You can see a detailed example on my YouTube.

From the tail light side of things, you only are tampering with the brown wire and the purple/white wire.

The black wire on the diffuser is the ground, which goes to the brown cord on the tail light. Subsequently, you then wire either the Red or Yellow wire (depending on your lighting preference) to the Purple/White wire from the light hardness.

Plug everything back in and you are good to go.
Awesome information!! I’ve been seeing that rear diffuser for sale lately and I couldn’t tell if it was the correct model because of those added side fin pieces. What exactly are those being held up by? As I swapped diffusers a while back and never noticed any clips over there on the sides. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0