Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Immobiliser or tracker

03-18-2024, 03:55 PM   #23
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Pretty unlikely, I reckon. These attacks only work realtime, not ‘scan the key and use it later’. They are ‘relay’ attacks. So they’d need to have one end of the setup very close to where you happened to park in the massive car park, and another very close to where you happened to walk. Yes, there’s a chance it might all line up, but I think the chances are low. You’re more likely to be pick pocketed for the key (or key in a Faraday pouch!)

However… in motorway car parks do make sure that your car locks as you walk away. Some scrotes use jammers, so that car doesn’t lock. They can’t steal the vehicle but they can have the contents. Again, a Faraday pouch won’t help.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 04:05 PM   #24
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition G81 Touring

Ended up booking an install for Smartrac S5 with remote immobiliser eg they kill the car remotely if it gets stolen thus avoiding any nasty confrontations at the house. The install is reasonable though the subscription is a bit heavy but for this car it feels the right thing to do.

I just can’t do the big yellow steering lock I know it’s a visual deterrent but it’s so ugly.
N
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 04:06 PM   #25
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition G81 Touring

And I don’t have (or want) comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:53 AM   #26
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Pretty unlikely, I reckon. These attacks only work realtime, not ‘scan the key and use it later’. They are ‘relay’ attacks. So they’d need to have one end of the setup very close to where you happened to park in the massive car park, and another very close to where you happened to walk. Yes, there’s a chance it might all line up, but I think the chances are low. You’re more likely to be pick pocketed for the key (or key in a Faraday pouch!)

However… in motorway car parks do make sure that your car locks as you walk away. Some scrotes use jammers, so that car doesn’t lock. They can’t steal the vehicle but they can have the contents. Again, a Faraday pouch won’t help.
Unfortunately this does happen and it is as you say real time. Lock car as your stood there, stuck key in pouch and make sure it’s still locked before you walk away.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:33 AM   #27
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
Unfortunately this does happen
Interesting. I googled Relay theft in car park. I found lots of advice, but no examples of this happening. Perhaps you can point us to this happening (especially if it’s not a Land Rover, as they have a totally insecure keyless locking system).
Appreciate 1
330Stevie299.50
      03-19-2024, 12:42 PM   #28
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Interesting. I googled Relay theft in car park. I found lots of advice, but no examples of this happening. Perhaps you can point us to this happening (especially if it’s not a Land Rover, as they have a totally insecure keyless locking system).
My mate of mine called elvis who works in a chip shop told me!!
Appreciate 1