Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Why couldn’t BMW offer different grill options?

03-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
A true test to this option idea is to make the smaller grille slightly more expensive and see how many buyers are willing to pay for it!
This reinforces my view that BMW realizes that smaller is more tasteful so it uses the smaller regular grill on the 8 series but is forcing the Edsel grill on the rest of the lineup. Maybe the new 2 series will have a regular kidney grill...that would be great.

If everyone started referring to the new BMW grills as Edsel grills, maybe BMW will abandon this design.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:38 PM   #24
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

They do, chrome vs black hehe
      03-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #25
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

I looked for OEM quality grille with satin chrome finish (frame)....would match all the rest of satin chrome (grill center, window trim, roof rails, rocker panel trim, etc). Could only find painted version available. Same as X3 M40i grill. I don't know why they used the chrome frame.
Couldn't find.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #26
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I didn't like the big grill either when I first saw it. I predict it will be the least offensive part of the car and will age classically. The Lexus rear end, however ��
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #27
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

The sad part is when sales tank b/c of the ugly grills, BMW will blame COVD

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #28
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
The sad part is when sales tank b/c of the ugly grills, BMW will blame COVD
I have been a BMW person, and all other things being approximately equal, I would like to stay a BMW person. But if they stick with these Edsel grills, I will be looking at others (MB, etc.).

I doubt they will be able to blame COVD as the new cars with the Edsel grills won't be out while the pandemic is running.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #29
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Does anyone remember when Mercedes Benz offered two options for the grill on the C Class? Customers could choose between Luxury (traditional slats and tri-star hood ornament) or Sport (oversized tri-star in the middle of the grille).

Could BMW similarly offer the oversized double kidney grille as an option instead of putting it on every new model? Right now customers can choose between Luxury and M Sport which alters the appearance of the entire front end almost completely. But, at least to date, the grill has been the same across the two trim lines.

I know this topic of large grille has been posted ad nauseum but wouldn't it be nice to give consumers a choice?
Not really. The Benz grill still encompasses the same area. The aftermarket might come up with a solution which reduces the size of the grill but it's probably going to require an application of automotive paint to the area which has been filled in.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      03-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #30
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
This reinforces my view that BMW realizes that smaller is more tasteful so it uses the smaller regular grill on the 8 series but is forcing the Edsel grill on the rest of the lineup. Maybe the new 2 series will have a regular kidney grill...that would be great.

If everyone started referring to the new BMW grills as Edsel grills, maybe BMW will abandon this design.
You could be right Steve. The better looking grille on the more expensive M8 and M8 gran coupe. The distasteful griile on the cheaper M3 and M4. Maybe something normal on the 2 series since that doesn't sell much anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #31
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Not really. The Benz grill still encompasses the same area. The aftermarket might come up with a solution which reduces the size of the grill but it's probably going to require an application of automotive paint to the area which has been filled in.
The Benz grille is not nearly as disturbing as the double kidney grille on the X7 and they still give you a choice. Where is the choice for BMW?

Perhaps the ratio between double kidney grille to headlights is too high which makes it look weird. The X5 has a large double kidney grille too but it doesn't look bad.

Last edited by GenXer; 03-14-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      03-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #32
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

The grille choice would be a great idea which is probably why it won't happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #33
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is not just size. It is shape as well. Hence the hideous Edsel grills. The MB grill may be as large in surface area but it doesn't look hideous like the Edsel grills.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #34
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Like a couple people already mentioned, it would have to be exactly the same shape so it could snap right into the same front end without the need to redesign any of the parts around it. Which means it would be highly unlikely that they could make the dual coffins of the G8x look ok.

It really will be ok. BMW isn’t really anything special anymore compared to the driving experience of its competitors, so we’ve got options. Vote with your wallet if you don’t like the grilles...that’s the only way you’ll be able to get them to stop doing this shit
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #35
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Like a couple people already mentioned, it would have to be exactly the same shape so it could snap right into the same front end without the need to redesign any of the parts around it. Which means it would be highly unlikely that they could make the dual coffins of the G8x look ok.

It really will be ok. BMW isn’t really anything special anymore compared to the driving experience of its competitors, so we’ve got options. Vote with your wallet if you don’t like the grilles...that’s the only way you’ll be able to get them to stop doing this shit
Unfortunately I feel that BMW will just blame buyers switching to SUVs if the G8x sales numbers disappoint rather than people being disgusted with the new grill design.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #36
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Why couldn't BMW offer different grill options?
Why can't BMW offer different grill options?

Answer: they can.

Additional question: Why doesn't BMW offer different grill options?

One answer among many: the business case isn't attractive enough to BMW.

Further information: Mercedes today offers multiple grills, depending on model. An example on the C-Class (W205) platform:

- C300 (base): 2-slat grill
- AMG C43: 1-slat diamond grill
- AMG C63s: Panamericana grill

Grill variants are also offered on the current E-Class W213 platform:

- E350 (base): 2-slat grill or luxury grill
- AMG E53: 1-slat diamond grill
- AMG E63s: 2-slat (sort of) quasi-Panamericana grill
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      03-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #37
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I'm pretty sure people will like the grille enough it will be a non-issue for them. Even people on here will eventually get used to it.

When the GT-R first came out, I was a Nissan owner and thought "no way in hell people will want a car with grille that looks like a college athlete in the middle of spitting out his mouth guard"

But then people lost their shit over that car (in 2008.) I thought "Surely someone will come along and fix this!"

But you have to search pretty hard to even find an example of a bumper that fixes the problem. Abflug seems to be the only ones, offering a couple of options.

But i've never seen a car IRL equipped with one of these "grille fixes." I think it's just not worth the trouble to most people. I suspect the same will be true for the new M cars. Old school enthusiasts won't love it, but they'll get used to it and it wont be worth the money to switch. In the meantime, a bunch of new buyers will be like "that looks tough as hell" and buy the car because of the ugly grille.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      03-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #38
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I'm pretty sure people will like the grille enough it will be a non-issue for them. Even people on here will eventually get used to it.

When the GT-R first came out, I was a Nissan owner and thought "no way in hell people will want a car with grille that looks like a college athlete in the middle of spitting out his mouth guard"

But then people lost their shit over that car (in 2008.) I thought "Surely someone will come along and fix this!"

But you have to search pretty hard to even find an example of a bumper that fixes the problem. Abflug seems to be the only ones, offering a couple of options.

But i've never seen a car IRL equipped with one of these "grille fixes." I think it's just not worth the trouble to most people. I suspect the same will be true for the new M cars. Old school enthusiasts won't love it, but they'll get used to it and it wont be worth the money to switch. In the meantime, a bunch of new buyers will be like "that looks tough as hell" and buy the car because of the ugly grille.
Lol. I realize that I’m proving your point for you, but those modifications look like they completely fix the looks of the ugly-ass R35. But i had no idea they existed.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #39
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Just wish Bmw went back to simplicity. I’m not a fan of current models. Either too many curves/lines, and huge grills. The 8 series looks like a Mustang, and the 3 looks like a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #40
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Agree, not too hard to fill the giant kidney areas with different types of grilles but really difficult to make the holes smaller as an option.
      03-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #41
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Just wish Bmw went back to simplicity. I’m not a fan of current models. Either too many curves/lines, and huge grills. The 8 series looks like a Mustang, and the 3 looks like a Lexus.
I think the 8 series looks great. The Mustang is a good looking car in the eyes of most North Americans and sharing some lines with it is not exactly a bad thing. Automakers can't win as "simplicity" would be considered bland and tame by many and it's usually the minority that is the most vocal against new styles. Sales at the end of the day will always be the true test of how well styling has been received. BMW had a pretty good year last year so it seems to me that plenty of buyers seem to be totally fine with the new grilles. I think for the most part the current lineup looks good and I'm on the fence with the upcoming M3/M4 buck tooth style kidney grilles but until I see them in person I'm not going to jump to any conclusions as I feel as posted above in regards to the GTR that over time people warm up to bold styles.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #42
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
I always wanted to know how a m sport black e90 would look like with a chrome or aluminum finish grill.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #43
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I think the 8 series looks great. The Mustang is a good looking car in the eyes of most North Americans and sharing some lines with it is not exactly a bad thing. Automakers can't win as "simplicity" would be considered bland and tame by many and it's usually the minority that is the most vocal against new styles. Sales at the end of the day will always be the true test of how well styling has been received. BMW had a pretty good year last year so it seems to me that plenty of buyers seem to be totally fine with the new grilles. I think for the most part the current lineup looks good and I'm on the fence with the upcoming M3/M4 buck tooth style kidney grilles but until I see them in person I'm not going to jump to any conclusions as I feel as posted above in regards to the GTR that over time people warm up to bold styles.
Good luck. If edsel grills continue, I am gone!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #44
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Good luck. If edsel grills continue, I am gone!
I think you have made that abundantly clear in this thread already. I'm not too concerned if you stay or go quite frankly.
Appreciate 0