Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i MPE (M Performance Exhaust) installed + sound clips

01-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #155
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
this shouldn't take more than 30 mins to install at any reputable muffler shop. The hangers are exactly the same and the valve is plug and play. The two forward pipes are likely clamped or could be welded - either way wouldn't take more than 10 mins for that. The rear section falls into place once the new muffler is on it's hangers and you really don't have to worry about rear tip alignment because there are none :-)

All in all 30 mins +/- 10 mins

**EDIT**
Just went back and looked at the picture - it's clamped on in the front so no reason this install would take more than 30 mins
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #156
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
this shouldn't take more than 30 mins to install at any reputable muffler shop. The hangers are exactly the same and the valve is plug and play. The two forward pipes are likely clamped or could be welded - either way wouldn't take more than 10 mins for that. The rear section falls into place once the new muffler is on it's hangers and you really don't have to worry about rear tip alignment because there are none :-)

All in all 30 mins +/- 10 mins

**EDIT**
Just went back and looked at the picture - it's clamped on in the front so no reason this install would take more than 30 mins
Thanks RTPenland!

With that said, is there any warranty concern if I go to muffler shop for install instead of using BMw?
The mppsk comes with bmws tune. From this forum I have learned that many people get different exhausts and their own tunes. But in purchasing the mppsk you get the tune which as far as I know, BMW needs to perform in house. I signed forms when I picked up the car that had the tune serial number. I am guessing this was registered in my record for my car. Presumably so that if other software updates are done, they can make sure my mppsk tune is still there. For me I wanted everything BMW approved so that I had my warranty in place. My car is a DD and one that I use to take my kids all over the south to soccer tournaments. Anyway this is just my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #157
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
The mppsk comes with bmws tune. From this forum I have learned that many people get different exhausts and their own tunes. But in purchasing the mppsk you get the tune which as far as I know, BMW needs to perform in house. I signed forms when I picked up the car that had the tune serial number. I am guessing this was registered in my record for my car. Presumably so that if other software updates are done, they can make sure my mppsk tune is still there. For me I wanted everything BMW approved so that I had my warranty in place. My car is a DD and one that I use to take my kids all over the south to soccer tournaments. Anyway this is just my understanding.
There is not an MPPSK (M Performance Power and Sound Kit) presently available for the M340 - however that was and is an option for the F30 340. The topic at hand here is regarding the MPE (M Performance Exhaust) which is midpipes (which don't matter because the M340 already has no resonators) and a valved replacement muffler only - a factory flash is not part of the MPE.

ps- there is also an MPE for the F30 340 along with the MPPSK that you mentioned

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #158
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
There is not an MPPSK (M Performance Power and Sound Kit) presently available for the M340 - however that was and is an option for the F30 340. The topic at hand here is regarding the MPE (M Performance Exhaust) which is midpipes (which don't matter because the M340 already has no resonators) and a valved replacement muffler only - a factory flash is not part of the MPE.

ps- there is also an MPE for the F30 340 along with the MPPSK that you mentioned

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I was on several threads and I guess got carried away. I guess I was thinking this was the mppsk thread (or maybe just a little brain fart or both). I have a F30 thus why I was interested and eventually got the MPPSK. Im glad you responded as you answered the question I had that I had not yet asked about the differences in exhaust of the F30 340 vs the m340. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #159
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I was on several threads and I guess got carried away. I guess I was thinking this was the mppsk thread (or maybe just a little brain fart or both). I have a F30 thus why I was interested and eventually got the MPPSK. Im glad you responded as you answered the question I had that I had not yet asked about the differences in exhaust of the F30 340 vs the m340. Cheers.
No problem God knows I've done the same :-)

Here's a visual for you and I'm sure others are interested as well. First is the 340 exhaust and then the M340 exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #160
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
No problem God knows I've done the same :-)

Here's a visual for you and I'm sure others are interested as well. First is the 340 exhaust and then the M340 exhaust.
Thanks Chenry, Is there a legend handy that shows what each # represents for us who are less familiar?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #161
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Chenry, Is there a legend handy that shows what each # represents for us who are less familiar?
sure these diagrams are from realoem.com...go there if you want to drill deeper and click through things :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #162
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

And this IMHO is why I agree the MPE shouldn't take more than 30 mins to install
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 01-24-2020 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: missed a hanger in my diagram
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #163
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is this exhaust system considered cat back or axle back? My MPE on my 335 was axle back but this one appears to have more piping
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #164
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info. I certainly now understand exactly what they did to my car and what they are doing to the m340. I learned something. So is it correct that although the hardware for the F30 and G20 itself, although slightly different because of the differences in the car, is roughly the same in overall function. That is, the exhaust adds valves and provides better sound. In contrast, however, in the 340 mppsk there is an added tune that in general is included when you buy an m340. I realize there is a difference in HP, but similar torque between an 340 w/ mppsk and a m340 w/ mpe. Is that roughly correct? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #165
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is this exhaust system considered cat back or axle back? My MPE on my 335 was axle back but this one appears to have more piping
It doesn't really matter.
Technically the Catalytic Converter is in the downpipe right after the turbocharger. So this is not really "Cat-Back". There is a stock section of pipe from the converter back to the joint where the MPE attaches. "Cat-Back" would refer to every pipe after the converter....

There is a section of mid pipe included and that is in front of the rear axle. So this is not really "Axle Back" either.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #166
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Quote:
It doesn't really matter.
Technically the Catalytic Converter is in the downpipe right after the turbocharger. So this is not really "Cat-Back". There is a stock section of pipe from the converter back to the joint where the MPE attaches. "Cat-Back" would refer to every pipe after the converter....

There is a section of mid pipe included and that is in front of the rear axle. So this is not really "Axle Back" either.
Interesting. I was more or less just curious
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #167
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I certainly now understand exactly what they did to my car and what they are doing to the m340. I learned something. So is it correct that although the hardware for the F30 and G20 itself, although slightly different because of the differences in the car, is roughly the same in overall function. That is, the exhaust adds valves and provides better sound. In contrast, however, in the 340 mppsk there is an added tune that in general is included when you buy an m340. I realize there is a difference in HP, but similar torque between an 340 w/ mppsk and a m340 w/ mpe. Is that roughly correct? Thanks.
I know we are getting off topic here (apologies OP).

In addition to the dual exhaust (well dual for some of the way) without resonators that has already been covered in this thread. There are some fairly meaningful mechanical updates with the B58TU engine (found in the M340) compared to the first gen (call it what you will) B58 in the 340. Here they are illustrated.

Hope this helps :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #168
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I knew there were differences, but not the "where and why". Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #169
skw
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone here who had the F30 MPPSK now have the m340 M-Performance exhaust? How do the sound levels compare? I've listened to Jason's videos and still not sure. I turned in my 340i w/ MPPSK yesterday but not picking up my M340i until April so I have time.
Appreciate 1
jstnstr926.50
      02-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #170
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXdrivefun View Post
Can anyone else verify if the sound is different from the regular M340i exhaust vs M-Performance exhaust in sport/Sport+ mode, from within the cabin as well?

Or is it just for outsiders/bystanders as you drive around town...
MPE definitely improves sound over stock in every drive mode. It's most prominent in sport individual and sport + where the pops and burbles really come to life. But regardless of the pops, just accelerating in general sounds deeper/louder and I love hearing the mean bark upon shifting on acceleration from a stop in S+. You will hear a notable difference both in the cabin and outside with MPE in S+ and Sport Individual. Cold starts are also super loud.

Also one thing no one appears to have mentioned yet but could just be me is that I felt a slight increase in sensitivity/throttle response at very low rpm range. Not sure if there's any data to support this but just throwing that out there in case others have noticed this as well/
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #171
aamir_m340i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
MPE definitely improves sound over stock in every drive mode. It's most prominent in sport individual and sport + where the pops and burbles really come to life. But regardless of the pops, just accelerating in general sounds deeper/louder and I love hearing the mean bark upon shifting on acceleration from a stop in S+. You will hear a notable difference both in the cabin and outside with MPE in S+ and Sport Individual. Cold starts are also super loud.

Also one thing no one appears to have mentioned yet but could just be me is that I felt a slight increase in sensitivity/throttle response at very low rpm range. Not sure if there's any data to support this but just throwing that out there in case others have noticed this as well/
That sounds good - have you got any videos you could upload for us to highlight some of those differences? Thanks
Appreciate 1
Gdiddy23906.50
      02-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #172
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason340Msport View Post
Quote:
I think a lot of us are still waiting for some videos here! Even cold start and some revs w exhaust flaps open/shut would be appreciated. The few ones available are really short and don't have good audio.
Sorry been busy with year end sales. I'll post some as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
Good to see the wording on the muffler. Now if a client advisor will have a clue about ordering it on a new car...
What problem are you having? It's a port installed accessory so its easy to add to a vehicle
What are the chances you feel like posting more videos/sound clips?

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #173
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep

Cell phone audio does not accurately depict the sound that comes from this exhaust. If anyone in LA area with quality audio/video equipment that wants to help record MPE sound to share with others here, Hit me up.
Appreciate 1
jstnstr926.50
      02-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #174
Pawlowski95
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330xi

Additional M340 M Performance Exhaust Videos

Does any one have additional videos to share? My Dravit grey m340 just left the factory and trying to decide if I should add the m performance exhaust as a port add on?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #175
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Yes add it. the problem is without a before and after, everyone's video is relative.. It's hard to say but if you want a pleasant sounding exhaust that goes from normal in comfort mode to an absolute beast in sport+ this is for you. I've heard muffler deleted m340's that sound very similar to MPE!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #176
Errorflyn
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M340I Xdrive Touring

Hi!
Have just picked up my M340I x drive touring. The car is fantastic in every way except the sound, it sound basically nothing. Hardly any difference between eco and sport plus mode. Anyone else experience this🤷*♂️ Regards Erik
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50