Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Is the 2020 m340 really better than the 2021-2023 version of the m340? What do I get?

05-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #1
335owner123
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is the 2020 m340 really better than the 2021-2023 version of the m340? What do I get?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a used m340 and I read on the forums that I should get a 2020 because the exhaust in the 2021, 2022, and 2023 model year is not as good since it has a hybrid system. Is this true?

1. In your experience what is the best model year for the m340 and what packages/features are considered "must haves" in your opinion?

2. Is the hybrid sound that bad or can it be fixed somehow?

3. Is there anything new in the 2021 - 2023 model years that the 2020 does not have?

Thank you in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it and sorry if I left any information out. If I did just ask and I will answer it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 05:01 PM   #2
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Its all subjective.

2020 - These dont have hybrid and can be bench unlocked for tune.
2021- 2025 - These have the mild hybrid system and a locked DME you need to send overseas for tunes.

Watch out for covid year cars as some lost some options due to supply shortage. Do more research then nessasary before just pulling the trigger. If you dont you will be missing things you didnt know existed.

Good luck
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 07:19 AM   #3
335owner123
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you for replying. Which packages in your opinion are must haves?

Is there anywhere where I can see the packages available for the model. Is the hybrid system bad? What is the major con about them if you do not want to tune the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJungatron View Post
Its all subjective.

2020 - These dont have hybrid and can be bench unlocked for tune.
2021- 2025 - These have the mild hybrid system and a locked DME you need to send overseas for tunes.

Watch out for covid year cars as some lost some options due to supply shortage. Do more research then nessasary before just pulling the trigger. If you dont you will be missing things you didnt know existed.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 07:58 AM   #4
chrismia
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Adaptive suspension is considered by many to be a must have. I was on the fence about it until I rented a non-adaptive one for the weekend via Turo. It was fine around town but was a little more unsettled than I'd like on the highway, especially on some of the more sunbeaten highways in SoFla where I live. I ended up buying a 2021 last week that had adaptive.

For me at least, HK audio was a must-have.

If you get cold weather then the Premium Package adds heated steering and heated seats in addition to HUD. If you value active safety features then the Driving Assistance Package brings park distance control, active blind spot detection, lane departure warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 09:20 AM   #5
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Adaptive suspension is the big one. It makes a huge difference in ride quality and comfort. Yes, this is a sport sedan, but trust me… you don’t always want it to ride firm.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 10:05 AM   #6
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

The stock exhaust note does sound better because it has the burbles and DCT sounding upshifts. As for the hybrid system, it does get better MPG but best to test drive one because the regen braking does change the driving characteristics a bit. 2020 also doesn't require the DME to be sent overseas for unlock.

1. I personally only shopped for 2020 models because I had the intention of tuning and did not want to have to ship the DME overseas. The unlock also costs significantly more compared to a regular bench unlock that the 2020s need.

For me, the must have features are: adaptive suspension, driver assist pro, parking assist plus, harmon kardon, and laser lights.

2. They don't sound "bad", just lack burbles. This can be fixed with a engine and transmission tune.

3. Mild hybrid system, digital key (with phone), red caliper option, id8 (2023+), extended shadowline package... are the main ones I can think of
Appreciate 2
ekinnee15.00
Halfb8d95.50
      05-16-2024, 05:30 AM   #7
panki_86
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post

3. Mild hybrid system, digital key (with phone), red caliper option, id8 (2023+), extended shadowline package... are the main ones I can think of
2020 models have option extended shadowline package, but they didn't have option for M seats, carbon roof, shadowline lights,...

Mild hybrids start from July 2020. Easiest way to recognize them is start/stop off button on centre console. If car have it is produced before July 2020 and is not mild hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 07:54 AM   #8
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Depends on what you're after. I wouldn't trade my 22 for a 20. I've got an MPE and there's no shortage of burbles and crackles in sport mode, so I'm perfectly happy there. Once the warranty expires I'll do some bolt-ons, but I have no intention of going crazy with mods so the DME thing is irrelevant to me.

If those things matter to you, especially the DME unlock, then go for an earlier model.

I don't have adaptive suspension, and while I'm sure it's superior and more comfortable, the base suspension is hardly the spine-jarring experience this forum has a tendency to make it out as. It's fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:20 AM   #9
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panki_86 View Post
2020 models have option extended shadowline package, but they didn't have option for M seats, carbon roof, shadowline lights,...

Mild hybrids start from July 2020. Easiest way to recognize them is start/stop off button on centre console. If car have it is produced before July 2020 and is not mild hybrid.
OP is in the US. None of the 2020 model years received the mild hybrid system or extended shadowline package. M seats and carbon roof were never available for the 21-23 m340i either but I believe carbon roof was available in the Canadian models.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 11:05 AM   #10
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold - e90 335

Garage List
To me, the look, the larger screen, idrive updates, etc are more important than burbles. If the budget allows, going newer would be a no brainer to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #11
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

There's a whole thread with all the features that have been removed over the years.
There is no more cubby by your left knee anymore
No more auto-start/stop unless the added that back
Still missing/blank buttons, which is weird
No HD built in to store music on
No cargo nets in the back truck
No ability to tune/mod
Exhaust has been muted more over the years

If I remember any more I'll had them
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 11:50 AM   #12
M340I///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
Depends on what you're after. I wouldn't trade my 22 for a 20. I've got an MPE and there's no shortage of burbles and crackles in sport mode, so I'm perfectly happy there. Once the warranty expires I'll do some bolt-ons, but I have no intention of going crazy with mods so the DME thing is irrelevant to me.

If those things matter to you, especially the DME unlock, then go for an earlier model.

I don't have adaptive suspension, and while I'm sure it's superior and more comfortable, the base suspension is hardly the spine-jarring experience this forum has a tendency to make it out as. It's fine.
I can vouch for this , I have the 2021 with adaptive M suspension ( I had the car built with it), track package pretty much fully loaded , minus acc. zero issues with chip shortages most of the chip shortages actually stated with the end of 2020 production and carried over to the 2021 but not many were affected.

After 2022 builds a lot of options have been deleted from the 2023-2024 models.

I have the MPE installed the burbles and crackles in sport mode and sport plus are there and mine pops loud and the more you break in the vehicles exhaust the louder it gets but it is an Amazing exhaust note there is no other comparison.

I don’t think BMW deleted the burbles and crackles on the 2021 I think they silenced it with Silencers in the muffler because they are there once you switch out the exhaust.

I would never trade it for a 2020 regardless of the DME being locked , there are a few 2021 locked ecu making 648whp

See source picture attached.

Dave at burger Motorsports/ and Jess at pure turbo are helping me build the same set up. So it’s not necessary to go with a 2020 for flash reasons.

You’ll notice in this forum many of the complaints are made from 2020 owners.

While we do have the mid-hybrid system engine it didn’t affect any performance. It enhances performance.

BMW's The 48-volt mild hybrid system in the 2021- 2023 BMW M340i improves fuel economy, accelerates faster, and reduces turbo lag. The system recovers kinetic energy when the vehicle brakes and stores it in a 48-volt battery. This energy then powers the electrical system and supports the engine. The system has two modes: generator mode, which converts mechanical power into electrical power, and engine mode, which supplies mechanical power to the engine. The 48-volt system offers several advantages, including: Automatic engine start/stop, Less emissions, 20% quicker start, and Less disruptive vibrations and sounds.
The system also provides extra power to the wheels, which helps to reduce fuel consumption and lessen the strain on the engine
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
335aw95.00
      05-17-2024, 03:12 AM   #13
Lee J. Cook
Rep
Drives: 1995 Nissan Sentra

Some information about this was found on the Internet.

1. Best Model Year and Must-Have Packages/Features:
2020 Model Year:

Exhaust Sound: The 2020 model is often preferred by enthusiasts because it doesn't have the mild hybrid system introduced in 2021, which can slightly alter the exhaust note. The sound is more traditional and aggressive, which many prefer.
Reliability: Being the first model year of the G20 M340i, it has a proven track record and good reliability.
Must-Have Packages/Features:

Track Handling Package: Includes M Sport brakes and Adaptive M Suspension, which significantly improve handling and performance.
Premium Package: Adds features like heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and a head-up display, enhancing comfort and convenience.
Driving Assistance Package: Offers additional safety features such as blind-spot detection, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.
Harman Kardon Sound System: A great audio upgrade for music lovers.

2. Hybrid Sound:
Hybrid Sound Concerns:

The mild hybrid system introduced in the 2021 model year does slightly change the exhaust note, making it less aggressive.
Fixes: There are aftermarket exhaust systems available that can restore or enhance the exhaust sound to your liking. Brands like Remus, Akrapovič, and Dinan offer options that many owners find satisfying.

3. New Features in 2021 - 2023 Models:
Mild Hybrid System:

Introduced to improve fuel efficiency and provide a smoother start/stop function.
Offers a slight boost in performance due to the electric assist.
Technology Updates:

Enhanced iDrive system with more features and a larger screen in later models.
Improved driver assistance features and software updates.
Minor Design Tweaks:

Subtle changes in interior materials and trim options.
Possible updates to exterior colors and wheel designs.
Conclusion:
If the exhaust sound is a significant factor for you, the 2020 M340i is a great choice. It has the aggressive exhaust note that many enthusiasts love and all the essential features you might need. However, the 2021-2023 models offer some technological advancements and efficiency improvements with the mild hybrid system. If you go for a newer model and the sound isn't to your liking, an aftermarket exhaust system can be a good solution.

I hope this helps!
      05-17-2024, 10:12 PM   #14
M340I///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee J. Cook View Post
Some information about this was found on the Internet.

1. Best Model Year and Must-Have Packages/Features:
2020 Model Year:

Exhaust Sound: The 2020 model is often preferred by enthusiasts because it doesn't have the mild hybrid system introduced in 2021, which can slightly alter the exhaust note. The sound is more traditional and aggressive, which many prefer.
Reliability: Being the first model year of the G20 M340i, it has a proven track record and good reliability.
Must-Have Packages/Features:

Track Handling Package: Includes M Sport brakes and Adaptive M Suspension, which significantly improve handling and performance.
Premium Package: Adds features like heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and a head-up display, enhancing comfort and convenience.
Driving Assistance Package: Offers additional safety features such as blind-spot detection, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.
Harman Kardon Sound System: A great audio upgrade for music lovers.

2. Hybrid Sound:
Hybrid Sound Concerns:

The mild hybrid system introduced in the 2021 model year does slightly change the exhaust note, making it less aggressive.
Fixes: There are aftermarket exhaust systems available that can restore or enhance the exhaust sound to your liking. Brands like Remus, Akrapovič, and Dinan offer options that many owners find satisfying.

3. New Features in 2021 - 2023 Models:
Mild Hybrid System:

Introduced to improve fuel efficiency and provide a smoother start/stop function.
Offers a slight boost in performance due to the electric assist.
Technology Updates:

Enhanced [...]
Good stuff
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2024, 12:31 AM   #15
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340I///M View Post
I can vouch for this , I have the 2021 with adaptive M suspension ( I had the car built with it), track package pretty much fully loaded , minus acc. zero issues with chip shortages most of the chip shortages actually stated with the end of 2020 production and carried over to the 2021 but not many were affected.

After 2022 builds a lot of options have been deleted from the 2023-2024 models.

I have the MPE installed the burbles and crackles in sport mode and sport plus are there and mine pops loud and the more you break in the vehicles exhaust the louder it gets but it is an Amazing exhaust note there is no other comparison.

I don’t think BMW deleted the burbles and crackles on the 2021 I think they silenced it with Silencers in the muffler because they are there once you switch out the exhaust.

I would never trade it for a 2020 regardless of the DME being locked , there are a few 2021 locked ecu making 648whp

See source picture attached.

Dave at burger Motorsports/ and Jess at pure turbo are helping me build the same set up. So it’s not necessary to go with a 2020 for flash reasons.

You’ll notice in this forum many of the complaints are made from 2020 owners.

While we do have the mid-hybrid system engine it didn’t affect any performance. It enhances performance.

BMW's The 48-volt mild hybrid system in the 2021- 2023 BMW M340i improves fuel economy, accelerates faster, and reduces turbo lag. The system recovers kinetic energy when the vehicle brakes and stores it in a 48-volt battery. This energy then powers the electrical system and supports the engine. The system has two modes: generator mode, which converts mechanical power into electrical power, and engine mode, which supplies mechanical power to the engine. The 48-volt system offers several advantages, including: Automatic engine start/stop, Less emissions, 20% quicker start, and Less disruptive vibrations and sounds.
The system also provides extra power to the wheels, which helps to reduce fuel consumption and lessen the strain on the engine
Man- please make sure you post a review when you’re done building your car. I saw the post by Terry on the B58 pages regarding this new break through.
I don’t plan on going this route since my build is done, but I’m just so curious exactly how all of this will work given that the DME is locked.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 03:50 AM   #16
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335owner123 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a used m340 and I read on the forums that I should get a 2020 because the exhaust in the 2021, 2022, and 2023 model year is not as good since it has a hybrid system. Is this true?

1. In your experience what is the best model year for the m340 and what packages/features are considered "must haves" in your opinion?

2. Is the hybrid sound that bad or can it be fixed somehow?

3. Is there anything new in the 2021 - 2023 model years that the 2020 does not have?

Thank you in advance for all your help. I really appreciate it and sorry if I left any information out. If I did just ask and I will answer it.
Hello and welcome to the BMW Fam - Bam!

I agree with what most have already said, but I wanted to mention a few things:

1.Harman Kardon Surround Sound System (688) is a MUST for me!!!!
2.Parking Assistance Package - especially if you get those Black Wheels
3. Ambient Lighting (4UR) is OPTIONAL on 2020 330i AND M340i models, so pay very close attention to MY2020 or you'll literally be put in the dark! lol

*WARNING - 2022 Models and some LATE 2021 models!*

- please keep in mind that the parts/supply shortage hit the 3 series very hard, and although the M340i wasn't as bad as the 330i's, it still got kind of ugly. While there is already a list of removed features/options for the 2022 G20's, I'll just mention a few:
- Harman Kardon Surround Sound System
- Wireless Charging (you ain't missing out if get an M340i without this)
- Lumbar Support (incl. Driver and Passenger and Width Adjustment)

I say this to you so that you can be extra vigilant, and while this is mainly for 2022 models, the part/chip shortage began with the late MY2021's and a lot of late 2021's and 2022's will be coming back soon via Lease Return!

Keep us posted!

best,
Cameron - (2021 BMW 330i named: "Hrag")
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:24 AM   #17
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
The stock exhaust note does sound better because it has the burbles and DCT sounding upshifts. As for the hybrid system, it does get better MPG but best to test drive one because the regen braking does change the driving characteristics a bit. 2020 also doesn't require the DME to be sent overseas for unlock.

1. I personally only shopped for 2020 models because I had the intention of tuning and did not want to have to ship the DME overseas. The unlock also costs significantly more compared to a regular bench unlock that the 2020s need.

For me, the must have features are: adaptive suspension, driver assist pro, parking assist plus, harmon kardon, and laser lights.

2. They don't sound "bad", just lack burbles. This can be fixed with a engine and transmission tune.

G20/G21 MHT cars do not have regenerative braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 01:09 PM   #18
M340I///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD1981 View Post
Man- please make sure you post a review when you’re done building your car. I saw the post by Terry on the B58 pages regarding this new break through.
I don’t plan on going this route since my build is done, but I’m just so curious exactly how all of this will work given that the DME is locked.
Will do, I’m going to record the entire process. Gather information on exactly how things come together.
Should be getting the hybrid turbo late June as there currently out of stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 08:49 PM   #19
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post

G20/G21 MHT cars do not have regenerative braking.
Correct they do not have regen braking found in ev cars. The system does shut off the engine when coasting to a stop and people have said this gives the sensation of the brakes being “grabby” and harder to get use to stopping smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:13 AM   #20
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

You have to prioritize some of these changes based on what you thing is important.
For example -
2020 non-hybrid has pops and burbles that make it sound faster, and it impresses more guys at Coffee and Cars. DME is not factory locked, so performance mods are easier if you want to spend the money. However, once you tweak the DME you will now be one of those guys who are worried every time they go to the dealer, because they are afraid the dealer will find the mod and invalidate the warranty.
2021 and later have the mild hybrid system, which adds horsepower (under certain conditions) and actually makes the car a little faster. You can tweak the sound by replacing the exhaust.
Appreciate 0