Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2019 BMW 3 Series vs Audi A4 vs Mercedes C-Class

03-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #45
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Great video, thanks for sharing OP.

My wife drives a 2018 S4, and the "step up" interior is beautiful in her car. The G20 interior is definitely an upgrade from the F3X, but I am also with the reviewer who said the gauge cluster in the G20 is a little too futuristic looking.

Here's our car for reference:
beautiful interior man! cant go wrong with an S4! whats the deal over there with the specs though? do you not get the flat bottomed steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #46
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post

beautiful interior man! cant go wrong with an S4! whats the deal over there with the specs though? do you not get the flat bottomed steering wheel?

Thank you I certainly enjoy commuting, running errands, and generally being stuck in traffic far more in her S4 vs my F80.

Our car has the cold weather package (heated steering wheel and heated rear seats). Unfortunately, one of the downsides of opting for this package is you lose the cool flat bottom steering wheel. This is also true of the higher end cars (S/RS 7, S/RS 5, R8, etc...). If you want a heated wheel, it's always round.

I've thought many times about swapping to the flat-bottom steering wheel, but I can't deny how much I enjoy the heated wheel. I'd miss it a lot. Incidentally, this is the same reason I wouldn't change the wheel in my F80 to an M Performance version.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #47
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Thank you I certainly enjoy commuting, running errands, and generally being stuck in traffic far more in her S4 vs my F80.

Our car has the cold weather package (heated steering wheel and heated rear seats). Unfortunately, one of the downsides of opting for this package is you lose the cool flat bottom steering wheel. This is also true of the higher end cars (S/RS 7, S/RS 5, R8, etc...). If you want a heated wheel, it's always round.

I've thought many times about swapping to the flat-bottom steering wheel, but I can't deny how much I enjoy the heated wheel. I'd miss it a lot. Incidentally, this is the same reason I wouldn't change the wheel in my F80 to an M Performance version.
I drove AMG 63S with flat bottom steering wheel and it felt weird. Looks good but turning it around felt silly. I'm sure it is easy to get used to non-all-round wheel but in these sports-wanna-be-cars, I don't think anyone can even take advantage of the flat bottom wheel. So don't sweat it.

Out of the cars on the market today, the best steering wheels are in Alfa QV and 911. Wait a min did Alfa have flat bottom too? Don't remember but it felt perfect and not weird if did have it flat there...
      03-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #48
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

E90 M sport steering wheel was good, F30 M sport wheel feels cheap and too big. Hopefully G20 is better.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      03-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #49
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

absolutely re S4>F80 for daily use. I cant handle dual clutches and sydneys traffic is now on par with new yorks so im happy to drive either an automatic or a manual - no in between. I hated the SMG with a passion too (but loved the rest of it)
also just finished an order for an x3 and was torn between losing out on sports seats for ventilated ones. i picked function over form like you but it would be nice if they would just offer both, but alas first world problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I drove AMG 63S with flat bottom steering wheel and it felt weird. Looks good but turning it around felt silly. I'm sure it is easy to get used to non-all-round wheel but in these sports-wanna-be-cars, I don't think anyone can even take advantage of the flat bottom wheel. So don't sweat it.

Out of the cars on the market today, the best steering wheels are in Alfa QV and 911. Wait a min did Alfa have flat bottom too? Don't remember but it felt perfect and not weird if did have it flat there...
yeah i dont think theyre for anything other than aesthetics. we have the Golf R wheel and it looks really nice but gives you nothing functionality-wise. I was under the impression it made getting in an out of a car with a roll cage easier and that was it. you get used to it though so its not an issue day to day

Last edited by Sherweeeny; 03-11-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #50
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
What I'm most concerned about was the one review that noted the M340 got the steering rack from the F30 unlike the 330 which got the updated and improved rack. It would suck if they made all those other improvements and missed out on the updated rack.
Where did you hear that the M340i didn't get a new steering rack?

From BMWBlog.com:

"However, it did give me a chance to sample the new M340i's variable steering rack. So the new variable-ratio steering rack is lock-dependent, rather than speed dependent. So the spacing on the steering rack's teeth progressively become more aggressive. That means the more steering lock you add, the faster the ratio gets. The old F30's variable steering setup was different, as its teeth spacing was the same throughout the rack but the actual electric power steering would change based on the car's speed. Or at least that's how my simple brain understands the way a BMW engineer explained it to me.

The end result is that the new M340i's steering is far more progressive and confidence-inspiring. While pushing it hard on track, I never felt nervous that the steering wasn't going to do exactly as I asked. It was intuitive and accurate, always feeling dependable. I felt like I could lean on the front end and that I could trust it, which really inspired confidence. Sure, it's light on actual steering feel but no one should complain about that because the steering weight is spot-on and the accuracy and response are both excellent. It feels like the 3 Series is back."
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #51
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
What I'm most concerned about was the one review that noted the M340 got the steering rack from the F30 unlike the 330 which got the updated and improved rack. It would suck if they made all those other improvements and missed out on the updated rack.

From BMWBlog.com:

"However, it did give me a chance to sample the new M340i's variable steering rack. So the new variable-ratio steering rack is lock-dependent, rather than speed dependent. So the spacing on the steering rack's teeth progressively become more aggressive. That means the more steering lock you add, the faster the ratio gets. The old F30's variable steering setup was different, as its teeth spacing was the same throughout the rack but the actual electric power steering would change based on the car's speed. Or at least that's how my simple brain understands the way a BMW engineer explained it to me.

The end result is that the new M340i's steering is far more progressive and confidence-inspiring. While pushing it hard on track, I never felt nervous that the steering wasn't going to do exactly as I asked. It was intuitive and accurate, always feeling dependable. I felt like I could lean on the front end and that I could trust it, which really inspired confidence. Sure, it's light on actual steering feel but no one should complain about that because the steering weight is spot-on and the accuracy and response are both excellent. It feels like the 3 Series is back."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...ve-track-test/

In the paragraph that starts "The long straight six...."
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #52
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:

Could be the difference between THP steering vs standard
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #53
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From BMWBlog.com:

Oh boy... Two different reviews that contradict each other. So which is it BMW? Does the 340i have a new steering system just like the 330i or is it the same as the last generation 3-series?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #54
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Directly from BMW....

"Standard Variable Sport steering: More direct, precise and agile

With its variable ratio, Variable Sport steering is able to adjust to changes steering angle, making it as adept at keeping the new BMW 3 Series Sedan effortlessly in a straight line as at maximizing cornering agility or turning and maneuvering comfort. In its latest form, the Variable Sport Steering is more direct in its responses, even when only a slight steering input is applied. Cornering is precise and responsive, while the wheel angles required for parking maneuvers are achieved with less steering wheel input required."

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #55
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Directly from BMW....

"Standard Variable Sport steering: More direct, precise and agile

With its variable ratio, Variable Sport steering is able to adjust to changes steering angle, making it as adept at keeping the new BMW 3 Series Sedan effortlessly in a straight line as at maximizing cornering agility or turning and maneuvering comfort. In its latest form, the Variable Sport Steering is more direct in its responses, even when only a slight steering input is applied. Cornering is precise and responsive, while the wheel angles required for parking maneuvers are achieved with less steering wheel input required."

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US
Couldn't both be true? Meaning they took the rack from the F30 and changed the variable ratio and label it new and improved (I'm sure it is). But that doesn't mean the 330 version doesn't have a unique steering system that is what the reviewers are all giving positive reviews.

My point is that much of the positive stuff we've heard so far in terms of improved steering has been from the 330i. I haven't seen BMW say that the systems are the same on the 330 and M340 (unless I missed it). They seem to separate the 2 descriptions.

Similar to the new suspension on the 330 that has been getting positive reviews and then I read that the M340 has the adaptive which may be better or just be a re-tuned version of what the F30 had.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #56
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Same R&T source but different article where it is mentioned again:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...eries-details/
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #57
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
3 for the win. The F30 never grabbed me and that’s why I am still in my E90 with 170,000 wonderful miles. My E’s interior is starting to look a little dated so I welcome the update styling even much better than the F. The exterior styling of my E still holds up well with the 2009 LCI update aging quite well. The G20 will be my next car and I have only sat in so far. I am curious if the Audi and the Merc had go flats?
Appreciate 0