Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Base sound enhancement with tweeters, the cheapest way?

02-15-2024, 08:25 AM   #1
dankec
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d touring g21

Base sound enhancement with tweeters, the cheapest way?

Hello everyone,

I have a base sound system in my G20 (idrive 7) and I'm not very demanding when it comes to sound quality, but I only feel that the high tones are a bit lacking.

What is the cheapest (and easiest) way to add two tweeters to the system (only without replacing or adding an amplifier), where to place them (I see that there is a possibility of installing them in the doors and the front pillar) and is it necessary to buy any special wiring for that?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:50 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

OEM tweeters plug into existing OEM mids, just get the OEM mounting grills for tweeters at your local dealer or eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankec View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a base sound system in my G20 (idrive 7) and I'm not very demanding when it comes to sound quality, but I only feel that the high tones are a bit lacking.

What is the cheapest (and easiest) way to add two tweeters to the system (only without replacing or adding an amplifier), where to place them (I see that there is a possibility of installing them in the doors and the front pillar) and is it necessary to buy any special wiring for that?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 08:56 AM   #3
vapoxhr
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyota gli 2021

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a base sound system in my G20 (idrive 7) and I'm not very demanding when it comes to sound quality, but I only feel that the high tones are a bit lacking. rent a car dubai

Why not go for the extra bass woofers instead.

Last edited by vapoxhr; 03-01-2024 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:53 AM   #4
CaleCro
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 ///M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Pozdrav

Cheapest way...you can search on local market (njuskalo) to find tweeters and install them in locations where they should be, but even then it wont be as much... Try to install H/K system, buy it complete used from local dealers..

Or third option go check oem integrations from, STEG, Focal, Musway....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #5
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I'm in the same situation I believe. Not sure how to tell what level of audio I have but I do not have the door tweeters. What would be a good path for upgrading to add highs and subs? Looking for plug and play on a budget. I've seen the brava audio upgrades and they are way out of my price range.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 01:40 PM   #6
Dr.Apex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 8 gran coupe G16 & 330E G2

Sorry to say but just adding tweeters, and or changing mids or woofers won't give a better sound quality for the Base Audio with Idrive 7 or higher.

The biggest issue in this setup is the RAM module which comes with the base audio system, and as that module does a lot more than just tweaking the sound, you are unable to have a system without it.

Due to the lack of tweeters the RAM module is programmed in a way to try to compensate that, and up till now, I have found now way to code that out.

So by adding tweeters, the sound becomes horribly flat with way to much high tones.

As there is no amp in the system, changing woofers does not do any good, as the idrive output is way too low to provide some decent bass.

I have been through this process, added tweeters front and rear, changed the mids, added a center speaker and tweeter and changed the woofers.

Without any amp the sound is still horrible, and without any amp you will not get any signal on the center speaker wiring (you will have to add yourself as there is none installed in the car).

I added a 7.1 channel DSP amp to the system which provided the opportunity to manually amend every channels output throughout it's frequencies, but still... the amp has a very hard time to compensate the absolute terrible sound the RAM module sends out.

I personally tried to change the RAM module to an original Harman Kardon one. Finally I had really good sound, immediately showing what the speakers are capable of, but unfortunately that RAM module provided some other issues.

At first it blew my amp, and when going around the amp the RAM module was not recognized by the car and DAB and some other system sounds did not work anymore.

Honestly, I thing there is no cheap solution to upgrade Base audio and doing so is a hell lot of work.

1. You would need a way to add tweeters to the doors. Aliexpress provides some stuff for that.
2. You cannot connect a tweeter to the original Mids.
3. Aftermarket subs do not fit "plug and play" in the Base audio woofers frames. These frames need to be heavily modified or replaced.
4. Guiding the center speaker line through the interior makes you need to demolish half of it.
5. If you would like to use an original RAM unit you will have to find the right pins in the original boom connector for the center speaker (I can tell you which ones these are).
6. If you use an original upgraded RAM unit you will probably have to find a way to code it into your car correctly.
7. If you add an amplifier you will have to find a place to add the amplifier.
8. If you use an aftermarket amplifier you will have to find a way to get rid of the horrible Base Audio RAM unit sound.

I am working on it for quite a while now, but am still not close to satisfies with the result.

In addition, if you are looking to program the B&W sound profiles into your Base audio system, or any kind of surround sound you will remain disappointed, as it is not supported by the RAM module. B&w sound profiles have no effect, just as surround sound adjustments. From the B&W equalized only the highest (treble) and lowest (bass) adjustments amend something.

I bought this car with the understanding that I would have plenty options to upgrade the audio, but if I would have known how much of a nightmare this is, I would have definitely not done the concession on the audio part of the options.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #7
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Thank you Dr. Apex. That is a lot of information. Very helpful in understanding the base audio system. Looks like I should have made sure my m340i had the HK system along with a few other features I am missing.
Appreciate 0