Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Who pays the bill !

03-09-2024, 08:30 PM   #23
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
I usually just pick up the check so I don’t have to think about it. Pretty cheap serenity.
Appreciate 2
nazali1309.50
UncleWede18019.00
      03-09-2024, 08:41 PM   #24
Nighthawks
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Kinda interesting topic came up and was wondering what the collective thought

Scenario

*Birthday party*, people are invited to a restaurant. What should happen?
below are some options, feel free to add more

Organizer/inviter choices
1> Don't worry about the bill, we'll just wing it, when the bring the check around
2> Assume people will pay only there part of the bill
3> The birthday "person" pays the bill period
4> Organizer sends an email to the invited saying that
a> Regardless of what is ordered the bill and tip will be divided equally among all
b> Regardless of what is ordered the bill and tip will be divided equally among all, except the drinks bill, the organizer will pay for the drinks

Have at it !
4a, and the celebrant pays nothing.
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      03-09-2024, 09:18 PM   #25
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Then again, my view is birthdays should be celebrated until the age of 10, then again starting at age 80 so maybe I’m not the right person to ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 03:13 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

At work, I try real hard to make sure the celebrant doesn't pay. Genreally, the bill comes and we divide by (participants -1), then split.

If you come to MY family birthday dinner, I'm picking up the tab. I might let you throw in a tip.

On my wife's side, it's becoming so difficult because there are so many people. We filled a dozen seats on Friday night, and bill came out to ~$800. I had a salad and water, but kicked in $200 for wife/I, since I made the birthday boy drink a 3rd martini
      03-13-2024, 10:29 PM   #27
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
At work, I try real hard to make sure the celebrant doesn't pay. Genreally, the bill comes and we divide by (participants -1), then split.

If you come to MY family birthday dinner, I'm picking up the tab. I might let you throw in a tip.

On my wife's side, it's becoming so difficult because there are so many people. We filled a dozen seats on Friday night, and bill came out to ~$800. I had a salad and water, but kicked in $200 for wife/I, since I made the birthday boy drink a 3rd martini
#baller

Hope you at least had a nice filet Mignon or something lol
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:38 PM   #28
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
These days with computers most restaurants can do separate checks and that’s the method I prefer most. Birthday boy or girl doesn’t pay. If others want to pitch in that’s fine. If not I’ll get it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-14-2024, 10:46 PM   #29
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

my birthday is coming up in April, was planning on taking the fam out, I'm really trying to be frugal, I'm not broke yet, I am totally messed up on Sashimi !
There's a a good (jap) buffet place all you can eat $40 adults, b'day boy/girl half price

I'm going to neck down so much sashimi I'll have gout for a friggin year !

My plan is to pay for it, (I don't have any of my family here) its the OH's family, my plan is to let the server know to ONLY give me the cheque at the end.

If therer half way decent, they'll just come baring gifts, but if its the gifts they give us for christmas, aka, SOMETHING for the house, or something me and the other half can share, like a crystal goldfish bowl. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guestimating about $320, me 20, dd 20, rest of the adults 40 each
I think soft drinks are free, but also these guy's dont drink. unless there getting cocktails (virgin) not incldued

So actually lets say max $400

I'm going to throw up on the amount of raw fish I'm going to eat

Least this way, I can budget, at Keg or milestones, you'll pay $40 for an entree alone right,

Last edited by nazali; 03-14-2024 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:54 AM   #30
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
If we are talking family; Mom/Dad (in-law), Grandma/Dad never pays the bill. It's split evenly among all the kids birthday or not. Also dose not matter if your sister/brother has more kids it's split evenly.

But the oldest pays the whole bill and cash or venmo - or the oldest just covers everything.

You also need new friends - Most of mines is spot on if the bill is like 1-300$ they will cover this bill and ill get the next. Anything more then we will split 50/50 or venmo the other 1/2. If cash is on hand i'll cover the tip. (not including outsiders)

In my work environment I always pick up the tab; unless we are with the owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:12 PM   #31
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Nowadays I just drink by myself, so no need to split anything, lol.

During social gatherings, I'll keep my presence to a minimum and offer to cover my incurred expenses to the host and just double it for the guest of honor before popping smoke to mask my departure.

I used to enjoy social events... now I'm glad when I have a legitimate excuse not to attend. Working on developing the skills to just lie about fake plans so I don't have to show up without offending anyone.

Talk about getting old. I would tell you to get off my lawn, but I'm in Brooklyn, so...
Esteban43739.00
vreihen1615271.00
nazali1309.50
      03-16-2024, 12:32 PM   #32
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
It depends on the situation. If I am organizing and say I’m having a birthday party for me, or someone else, I’m footing the bill. Party is key word here. If it’s “Let’s go out for John’s birthday”, the bill should be split.

That being said, you need to know the crowd. I have no problem paying for what I order, or splitting equally. But I’m not an asshole. If I want a bottle of wine when I’m with a group who will be splitting the bill, I ask the waiter to put the wine on a separate check. You may have people that can’t afford to split equally because of what people order. It should be said upfront how the bill will be handled so no surprises and can decide whether or not to attend if they aren’t comfortable with arrangements.

If I know the bill will be split evenly, I won’t order the lobster dish I normally do at said restaurant. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same mindset.

EDIT - adding when I say split, the attendees should cover the meal of the person being celebrated.
This captures it well. “Party” with invitation, etc implies you are hosting an event and treating the guests to a meal. But “hey it’s my bday let’s go grab some dinner” does not imply you are on the hook.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615271.00
RickFLM410974.50
cmyx6go15761.00