Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 2 bad UK dealer experiences Not Happy

07-08-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

2 bad UK dealer experiences Not Happy

First car ordered dealer told me he had a build slot to deliver in August then said it was an admin mistake and the car would actually be delivered in November or possibly into 2022 so cancelled the order then by luck found a ready built car in stock with the right spec so placed an order to have it within a week I received a call from that dealer today

We are really sorry Sir but we have a problem we have accidentally registered your new M340D G21 as a demonstrator so we cannot deliver your car by 08/07/21 as per your vehicle order.
We are currently in contact with DVLA to try reverse the process so you are the first registered keeper!!!!

So I asked is this is the reason I have been been ignored and given the run around regarding delivery for the last week?
Errrrr yes sir sorry!!!

I explained last week that I was selling my current vehicle and needed to have the car this week, they assured me there was no problem and I would have the car by the 8th July, and now they are telling me it could take a few weeks to sort the problem out if it actually can be sorted.

It gets worse because I applied for some finance on the car although I could buy it outright, just thought with the finance rate being good I would take advantage and pay the depreciation off on the drip.
So if the logbook turns up with me as second owner I can’t get the 2.9%APR finance rate as it is then classed as a used car and not new!!!

I spoke to the dealer manager today and told him I don’t have a car but need one by Monday as I have work commitments next week, also booked two days off this week to pick up my new car which was a total waste of time.

The dealer has said they will try to supply me a loan car until it’s sorted as it could take 2 to 4 weeks to sort the mess out, but I'm also thinking a bit more discount for the stress and inconvenience of it all or if the logbook turns up with a previous keeper do I make them a silly offer to buy it outright?

What would you guys do ? I really want the car may just have to wait a bit longer, or do I put them on the spot and tell them I want to cancel my order unless they re negotiate the deal for the inconvenience.

Don't really want to name the dealer at the moment in case this ends up in my favour who would have thought buying a new car could be so stressful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by njw1967; 07-08-2021 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

If you like the car and are happy with the financials, I would be happy to wait so long as:

* I have a BMW loan car for the period (insurance paid by them)
* Compensation in the form of a free service (for your car) when its due for the hassle?

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #3
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
If you like the car and are happy with the financials, I would be happy to wait so long as:

* I have a BMW loan car for the period (insurance paid by them)
* Compensation in the form of a free service (for your car) when its due for the hassle?
I would rather they re negotiate a further discount on the vehicle as the dealership is not local to me.

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw1967 View Post
First car ordered dealer told me he had a build slot to deliver in August then said it was an admin mistake and the car would actually be delivered in November or possibly into 2022 so cancelled the order then by luck found a ready built car in stock with the right spec so placed an order to have it within a week I received a call from that dealer today

We are really sorry Sir but we have a problem we have accidentally registered your new M340D G21 as a demonstrator so we cannot deliver your car by 08/07/21 as per your vehicle order.
We are currently in contact with DVLA to try reverse the process so you are the first registered keeper!!!!

So I asked is this is the reason I have been been ignored and given the run around regarding delivery for the last week?
Errrrr yes sir sorry!!!

I explained last week that I was selling my current vehicle and needed to have the car this week, they assured me there was no problem and I would have the car by the 8th July, and now they are telling me it could take a few weeks to sort the problem out if it actually can be sorted.

It gets worse because I applied for some finance on the car although I could buy it outright, just thought with the finance rate being good I would take advantage and pay the depreciation off on the drip.
So if the logbook turns up with me as second owner I can’t get the 2.9%APR finance rate as it is then classed as a used car and not new!!!

I spoke to the dealer manager today and told him I don’t have a car but need one by Monday as I have work commitments next week, also booked two days off this week to pick up my new car which was a total waste of time.

The dealer has said they will try to supply me a loan car until it’s sorted as it could take 2 to 4 weeks to sort the mess out, but I'm also thinking a bit more discount for the stress and inconvenience of it all or if the logbook turns up with a previous keeper do I make them a silly offer to buy it outright?

What would you guys do ? I really want the car may just have to wait a bit longer, or do I put them on the spot and tell them I want to cancel my order unless they re negotiate the deal for the inconvenience.

Don't really want to name the dealer at the moment in case this ends up in my favour who would have thought buying a new car could be so stressful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
What an atrocious state of affairs. The first dealer for the new build sounds like the issue I had initially, massively oversold their quota and underdelivered on their promises.
The second dealer shows disgraceful business ethics which sadly appears to be becoming the norm with so many companies.
You say you really want the car and could actually pay cash for it so here's a thought.....
....If the DVLA cannot change the first registered keeper details and you become the second keeper then the car is effectively a used car or at the very least a 'Pre registered" vehicle (that popular practice dealers used to do on a massive scale up until a few years ago just to make their new vehicle registration look impressive).
So if that's the case then negotiating a further discount in the price, for a cash purchase, is an entirely reasonable approach in my mind.
Put it another way how much saving on the new car price can one reasonably expect to make buying a used / pre-registered car?
How much discount would they give off the car if they were offering a demonstrator for retail sale?
Worth a try?
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
What an atrocious state of affairs. The first dealer for the new build sounds like the issue I had initially, massively oversold their quota and underdelivered on their promises.
The second dealer shows disgraceful business ethics which sadly appears to be becoming the norm with so many companies.
You say you really want the car and could actually pay cash for it so here's a thought.....
....If the DVLA cannot change the first registered keeper details and you become the second keeper then the car is effectively a used car or at the very least a 'Pre registered" vehicle (that popular practice dealers used to do on a massive scale up until a few years ago just to make their new vehicle registration look impressive).
So if that's the case then negotiating a further discount in the price, for a cash purchase, is an entirely reasonable approach in my mind.
Put it another way how much saving on the new car price can one reasonably expect to make buying a used / pre-registered car?
How much discount would they give off the car if they were offering a demonstrator for retail sale?
Worth a try?
Hi and thanks for the reply, the current new car deal is reflecting approximately 12.5% discount off the MRSP of £62300 on the road price, it is a very hi spec car, the new car deal is currently working out on the road at £54500, however it is likely to take at least two weeks to sort this out so if the V5C arrives in my name no previous owners I was going to try for another £1000 off for having to wait and if it arrives with two owners I was going to suggest 20% off the MSRP as per most demonstrator cars that are offered.

Other consideration is if I'm the second owner my insurance does not cover me for new for old replacement in the first year

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi and thanks for the reply, the current new car deal is reflecting approximately 12.5% discount off the MRSP of £62300 on the road price, it is a very hi spec car, the new car deal is currently working out on the road at £54500, however it is likely to take at least two weeks to sort this out so if the V5C arrives in my name no previous owners I was going to try for another £1000 off for having to wait and if it arrives with two owners I was going to suggest 20% off the MSRP as per most demonstrator cars that are offered.

Other consideration is if I'm the second owner my insurance does not cover me for new for old replacement in the first year

Regards Neil
Certainly worth trying that out with the dealer, why not, you've got nothing to lose?... and everything to gain!
If you are the second owner then 20% off retail equates to a deal where you put in a straight fifty grand and call it a deal...I'd be happy with that in your position!
As for the insurance then you'd still be able to get GAP insurance I would think as they usually allow you a few months or so from first registration to take out a policy. The one I intend going with allows three months from first registration. You could always make enquiries and see if they would consider regarding you as the first owner in the extraordinary circumstances, let's be right the first 'owner' will never have driven it!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Regards Neil
The 20% is probably what the 'dealer margin' is for a new car anyway so your suggestion, I think, is entirely reasonable!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

Quote:
The 20% is probably what the 'dealer margin' is for a new car anyway so your suggestion, I think, is entirely reasonable!
12.5% is only an average new car discount on this spec car and you do need to push very hard! I have just collected a similarly spec car with a very close match on RRP and paid quite a bit less than your deal. I’m not crowing just providing evidence that you should take bmnut’s advice and push very hard. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about the registration providing you intend keeping the car for 3 plus years. I would love to advise you to walk away but your position is challenging. Just make sure they know that you are not doing them any favours. My worry is that they know that they can sell their demo any day of the week for a very good price with the current shortage of similar cars. Ultimately you need to get them down to what they can sell that car for as a demo! 👌👍 best of luck!
Appreciate 2
njw1967619.50
bmnut813.50
      07-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #9
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFats View Post
Quote:
12.5% is only an average new car discount on this spec car and you do need to push very hard! I have just collected a similarly spec car with a very close match on RRP and paid quite a bit less than your deal. I’m not crowing just providing evidence that you should take bmnut’s advice and push very hard. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about the registration providing you intend keeping the car for 3 plus years. I would love to advise you to walk away but your position is challenging. Just make sure they know that you are not doing them any favours. My worry is that they know that they can sell their demo any day of the week for a very good price with the current shortage of similar cars. Ultimately you need to get them down to what they can sell that car for as a demo! 👌👍 best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFats View Post
Quote:
12.5% is only an average new car discount on this spec car and you do need to push very hard! I have just collected a similarly spec car with a very close match on RRP and paid quite a bit less than your deal. I'm not crowing just providing evidence that you should take bmnut's advice and push very hard. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the registration providing you intend keeping the car for 3 plus years. I would love to advise you to walk away but your position is challenging. Just make sure they know that you are not doing them any favours. My worry is that they know that they can sell their demo any day of the week for a very good price with the current shortage of similar cars. Ultimately you need to get them down to what they can sell that car for as a demo! 👌👍 best of luck!
Thanks for the reply
They've been back to me this evening with a price to buy it as a demo for £51600
Told them I would think about it but was really thinking more like £50k
Just as a matter of interest what discount did you get mate and was it a brand new car not a demo although I know to all intents and porpoises this car is brand new

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply
They've been back to me this evening with a price to buy it as a demo for £51600
Just as a matter of interest what discount did you get mate and was it a brand new car not a demo although I know to all intents and porpoises this car is brand new

Regards Neil
Hi Neil, I have left you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #11
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply

Regards Neil
Yes it was brand new car factory order with my own spec!
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #12
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I’m waiting on delivery of a brand new to spec M340i Touring and managed 15.5% discount.

It was pretty much to the penny what forces bmw are offering.

Along with the 2.9% apr it’s quite reasonable.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #13
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmots View Post
I’m waiting on delivery of a brand new to spec M340i Touring and managed 15.5% discount.

It was pretty much to the penny what forces bmw are offering.

Along with the 2.9% apr it’s quite reasonable.
Which closely matches my deal.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-09-2021, 03:44 AM   #14
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Update
Now they are suggesting I take the car as a Demo on their insurance until the logbook appears then pay for the car,

negotiations are currently around the 18% discount figure although I left them with my thoughts of 20% so I'm expecting them to come back with some common ground between those figures.

They claim to have sent the logbook to DVLA via snail mail with a covering headed letter stating a clerical error was made and it should have been registered to myself the sales manager said if the log book turns up with me as the first keeper the deal still stands and then I've had a major result, if it turns with me as the second keeper I think its still not a bad deal My M4 F82 was pre registered zero miles car and it didn't affect its resale value.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 03:51 AM   #15
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update
Now they are suggesting I take the car as a Demo on their insurance until the logbook appears then pay for the car,

negotiations are currently around the 18% discount figure although I left them with my thoughts of 20% so I'm expecting them to come back with some common ground between those figures.

They claim to have sent the logbook to DVLA via snail mail with a covering headed letter stating a clerical error was made and it should have been registered to myself the sales manager said if the log book turns up with me as the first keeper the deal still stands and then I've had a major result, if it turns with me as the second keeper I think its still not a bad deal My M4 F82 was pre registered zero miles car and it didn't affect its resale value.
They do all their registrations electronically but in this case were probably required to send a hard copy letter. I believe that you are on the right track and at the end, it is the car you want!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:56 AM   #16
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Update

You should stick to your guns on the 20%. Point out to them that BMW are prepared to sell you that car with a 22% dealer contribution vs RRP - see https://www.bmwgroupsupplier.co.uk/p...op-290861-5706
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #17
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

If they won't give me 2.9% as its 'used', I wouldn't take it. If you're paying cash you probably don't care. As long as they sort out the paperwork. Its either that or you start again with a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
You should stick to your guns on the 20%. Point out to them that BMW are prepared to sell you that car with a 22% dealer contribution vs RRP - see https://www.bmwgroupsupplier.co.uk/p...op-290861-5706
Great link, great offer. But at 5.9% not 2.9%, is that due to the pretty much zero deposit?

https://www.bmwgroupsupplier.co.uk/p...op-290860-5707
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #18
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21-M340i View Post

Great link, great offer. But at 5.9% not 2.9%, is that due to the pretty much zero deposit?
That scheme will give you the same discount for cash too so I think my point to the OP still stands.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #19
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
That scheme will give you the same discount for cash too so I think my point to the OP still stands.
I was just interested for myself! Seems to be locked down though, I've had an email back from Park Lane who a) don't seem to know anything about the deal, asking me for figures and B) Asking who I work for to determine elligibility.

Great reference point to show other dealers, tho.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #20
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Annual mileage of 8000? Crikey. Seems very low. Dont think I'd be spending that sort of dough on a car and not using it
      07-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #21
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Annual mileage of 8000? Crikey. Seems very low. Dont think I'd be spending that sort of dough on a car and not using it
#London commuter (train) life

You can up it for not much more.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #22
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Does any one have the list of companies who they are partnered with ?

cant find it on the website ?

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0