Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Minor side bulge on run flat tire

04-15-2023, 10:02 PM   #1
Galex999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e Alpine White

Minor side bulge on run flat tire

I hit a pothole during city driving. Not that hard but hard enough to feel it. One front tire shows slight bulge on the side wall, luckily no wheel damage. The tire has only 2,800 miles on it.

First question: Do I have to replace it right away? I mostly drive in city traffic for commute. Very rarely on highway speed, and no plan to do long distance trip with this car. The tire and car feels fine so far. I can monitor tire pressure regularly. Even if the tire fails, what harm will it do? I mean, it's a run flat tire which should provide adequate drivability even after losing all pressure, right?

Second question: If I must replace it right away, can I replace the damaged tire only? I understand it's always recommended to replace both front tires together for even tire diameter, but my car is only few months old with only 2,800 miles. I hope I can only replace one tire.

Man, I hate these run flat tires!

Last edited by Galex999; 04-17-2023 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 10:48 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
You can replace just that one tire and you should replace it sooner rather than later. There is a pretty fair likelihood you can get the tire manufacturer’s road hazard warranty to cover it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-15-2023, 11:35 PM   #3
Portimao Blues
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive Sedan

I had sidewall bubbles on two of my run-flat tires as a result of hitting pot holes on two separate occasions. As tturedraider stated above, they should be replaced ASAP and you can just replace the effected tire (as I did both times). Unfortunately, on both instances, I had too many miles, so they were not covered by road hazard insurance.
2021 M340i xDrive Sedan | Portimao Blue Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather | Maple Matte Finish Wood Trim | 19-Inch 792M Wheels | Red Brake Calipers | Premium Package | Driving Assistance Package | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman/Kardon Surround Sound | Painted Rear Spoiler (Z50)
2014 335i xDrive Sedan | M-Sport | Estoril Blue Metallic | Venetian Beige Leather (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I got a sidewall bulge on one of my Pirellis P7 runflats during a long road trip and could not find a tire store with the correct size and speed rating in stock. It was Saturday morning and the earliest they could get a tire from the warehouse was Monday afternoon. I drove home a total of about 1800 miles and had no issues with the faulty tire. I could feel something like a minor imbalance or thump at certain speeds, but it still rode and handled fine.

Go online to check the road hazard warranty for your specific brand of tire. It’s not the same for every brand BMW uses, so you might get lucky and have free replacement.

Replacing one tire is not an issue with your low miles, but make sure they get it exactly right. My xDrive 2021 M340i has H speed rating tires, and everything that was in stock for an immediate replacement were V rated Pirellis. Nobody at the dealer could give me a definite answer about whether there was really any issue with mixing speed ratings. I also didn’t want to end up with mismatched tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 04:36 AM   #5
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex999 View Post
I hit a pothole during city driving. Not that hard but hard enough to feel it. One front tire shows slight bulge on the side wall, luckily no wheel damage. The tire has only 2,800 miles on it.

First question: Do I have to replace it right away? I mostly drive in city traffic for commute. Very rarely on highway speed, and no plan to do long distance trip with this car. The tire and car feels fine so far. I can monitor tire pressure regularly. Even if the tire fails, what harm will it do? I mean, it's a run flat tire which should provide adequate drivability even after losing all pressure, right?

Second question: If I must replace it right away, can I replace the damaged tire only? I understand it's always recommended to replace both front tires together for even tire diameter, but my car is only few months old with only 2,800 miles. I hope I can only replace one tire.

Man, I hate these run flat tires!
I would not be driving anywhere with a bulge in the sidewall of a FRONT tyre. If it blows then the consequences could be very severe. On my car I couldn't swap it to the rear, but if yours is a square set-up, then you could do that. With so few miles I'd have thought you'd be OK to put one new tyre on, and if it were me I'd be doing that as soon as possible. Again, I'd have it on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #6
SaltyPickle
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Xdrive

Had the same thing happen to me. Bought a new tire and had to replace the strut as well because it was bent from the pothole. So, a pothole cost me $2500.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1921178
Appreciate 0