Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2020 M340i Exhaust Sound Ruined By 03/2021.50

07-14-2021, 09:26 PM   #89
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
I was thinking this exact same thing as I'm in Canada. Given all the different posts here one is to assume that indeed they are doing this for all countries/regions.
I'm from Canada too, and I'm not aware of any regulations that prevent us from having burbles or pops, I know downtown Toronto and London can ticket you for excessive noise or no muffler, but thats about it. I feel bad for the guys in Europe, and I under its cheaper for bmw to produce one universal update, but I still think it would have to be slightly different if they have.to factor in the opf.
Whale oil beef hooked! (Little bit of Canadian east coast humour) Say it a few times and you'll get it for the non Canadian folks lol

Yeah I totally agree. But from people I've spoken to where I live and have updated there has been a significant loss of pops and burbs after the 07/2020 update on 2020 m340i's. That sort of leads me to believe that BMW is doing this for all regions. I pray nothing goes bat shit crazy on my car where I have no choice but to update at the dealership level.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #90
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

I think I did that update, cause I remember thinking it seemed a bit quieter on the warm startup pops and burbles I'm general, I'm holding off on the March 2021 update now. I get my oil done at an independent with liquid molly every 7000 to 8000kms, so with the exception of the passenger mirror being replaced under warranty, I dont really go to the dealer. If I did go in, I'd be telling them not to update or I wouldn't be back.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:38 AM   #91
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALotOfKirbys View Post
Damn luckily I turned my auto update off and went to for service this week and asked the SA to opt out on updates to the car. I don't think I would update till there is a recall on my car that involves software issues.
Somewhat late to this thread, but sharing everyone's concerns. While we in the UK don't get quite as raucous exhaust notes as you guys in US and Canada have done on the 2020 builds, I still want to preserve the richness of what I do have on my 40i!

So, a quick (but evidently crucial!) question: what's the process for switching off/deactivating auto-updates? On my idrive, if I go to general car settings, it just shows me the current software number/version and an option for 'search for new updates' (which I obviously will be careful not to press). But is there another route through to disabling the auto-download facility for the remote software updates? Thanks.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #92
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
I have finally got some sort of response from BMW U.K. having written directly to Graham Grieve (Managing Director). The problem is that my main concern has still not been addressed i.e. the lack of any warning to owners that the software update was about to fundamentally change the character of the car and, worse, retrospectively! I have thus asked BMW to comment further especially as vehicular legislation is not normally applied retrospectively. However, the response I have had so far is as follows:-

“I’m pleased to advise I’ve received some details about your BMW 3 Series software update. Jamie Young, service advisor at BMW North Oxford has had his senior technician look into this. Jamie has informed me the software update was performed so that your car meets regulations for vehicles built for the EU, GB, NI and Switzerland countries and regions.

I’ve provided some of the text relating to the update below to assist you, but would advise its intended for our technicians and similarly qualified staff who may recognise what this means better.

The current edition of UNECE regulation R51.03 examines "noise-elevating situations". In the context of the BMW philosophy of complying with regulations according to their meaning, all BMW vehicles are guaranteed not to exceed the aforementioned noise limits indicated by "noise-elevating situations". This leads to a reduction in "noise-elevating situations" corresponding to the engine load.”

I suppose, if nothing else, this does finally prove that the software update DID reduce exhaust noise on pre-2021 models!

This is the latest response I have had from BMW U.K. which still doesn’t answer the issue about latest regulations being (outrageously) applied retrospectively. It does, at last, make reference to my other complaint regarding how owners were not warned in the accompanying notes that the car’s original specification was about to be changed….

“ Good afternoon Stephen

Thanks for your recent email about your BMW 3 Series software update, I’m sorry for my delay in responding and apologise for any frustration caused by this.

After competing my latest investigations, I’ve been given further information about the software update and was advised of the following:

The EU / ECE exterior noise legislation stipulates that the driving noise of passenger cars should be gradually reduced by 2026. For BMW M vehicles as of production 07/2019 onwards, BMW is already adapting the noise levels, thereby making a contribution to greater quality of life.

However BMW are confident the Motorsport range of vehicles will continue to display the sporty and emotional sound typical for the BMW M brand.

On your point of how the software was applied, I can only apologise and advise we carry out updates to ensure the vehicles are kept legal, safe and at their best operationally.

In light of your feelings on how the software was applied, and in your view without appropriate information, I’ve passed this on to our products department for review and consideration.

I hope this information helps, and explains the reasons why this was applied to your BMW 3 Series.

Once again I’m sorry for your disappointment over this, and should there be anything else, please get in touch.

Kind regards

Simon

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Simon Jebb
Senior Customer Service Consultant
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0)370 5050 160
Email: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
Web: http://www.bmw.co.uk
Thanks for your sterling efforts on extracting a response from BM UK. It's absurd: yet more nannyish legislation to phase out sounds that are dwarfed by the average bus or articulated truck anyway--which far outnumber luxury saloons like the 40i on our roads. Maybe by 2046 we'll all be driving around in silent, homogenous e-mobiles; but by in 2026 I still want to hear an unadulterated ICE. But your point stands: they should have been transparent with customers about all of this, and it's scandalous that they have slipped this alteration in, slight of hand, via an update.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:32 AM   #93
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Really thought I disabled automatic downloads for updates, but here we are. I got a notification for 3/2021.50 on my car. It's already downloaded on my phone, however hasn't been transferred to the car. Too late to cancel for me?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #94
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Every time I turn off my car, it prompts me to do the update, and I just ignore it. If it starts, u can cancel it, u need to leave ur phone in the car for the download to finish, so there should be no reason why the update finishes without ur knowledge.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #95
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dope, thanks! Waiting on the Dinan exhaust to come in and would rather not neuter the sound before I get a chance to upgrade it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #96
G20SLAM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Okay so I have a 2021 BMW M340 and I can completely agree that the pops and bangs are not what they were on the 2020. WE ALL KNOW THIS LOL. But, one thing I saw on here is people were questioning if this is because of emissions regulations and what not... I don't believe so because I also work for BMW and I can testify that the 2021 Z4 M40i and X3 M40i still crackle and pop like we are a custom to. I've spoken with BMW in regard to any software updates on this issue and doesn't seem like the m340i will ever have pops and bangs again.. so sad. It has something to do with the new 48v system, hopefully someone can bring out a tune to get past this...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #97
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So then there using the same tune and update for 2020 and the 2021 hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #98
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20SLAM View Post
Okay so I have a 2021 BMW M340 and I can completely agree that the pops and bangs are not what they were on the 2020. WE ALL KNOW THIS LOL. But, one thing I saw on here is people were questioning if this is because of emissions regulations and what not... I don't believe so because I also work for BMW and I can testify that the 2021 Z4 M40i and X3 M40i still crackle and pop like we are a custom to. I've spoken with BMW in regard to any software updates on this issue and doesn't seem like the m340i will ever have pops and bangs again.. so sad. It has something to do with the new 48v system, hopefully someone can bring out a tune to get past this...
Interesting. I wonder why the updates would be causing the 2020 to get quieter each time if the reason for the 2021 being quieter is due to the mild hybrid? Not sure I'm believing that's the reason why... Other people on the forum have been told directly by BMW engineers that it's due to noise ordinances in certain parts of the world.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #99
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41589/...nsible-revving

Perhaps this kind of thing is what causes issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #100
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
Interesting. I wonder why the updates would be causing the 2020 to get quieter each time if the reason for the 2021 being quieter is due to the mild hybrid? Not sure I'm believing that's the reason why... Other people on the forum have been told directly by BMW engineers that it's due to noise ordinances in certain parts of the world.
I'm pretty certain that there's a sound and/or emissions ordinance thing in EU that's prompted this response from BMW. And BMW is just keeping the cars around the globe in line. I believe something similar happened with the F-series where the exhaust on the 2016 F30 340i (B58 debut) was much more vibrant than the LCI F30 340i, which had some software revisions up from the previous pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #101
camilowsky
Rep

Can someone confirm that 03/2020.50 is making MY2020 quieter? I got update downloaded and not yet installed. I am located in NY and done no mods to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #102
G20SLAM
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post

Well like I noted, I work directly for BMW and haven't heard of anything in regards to noise ordinance because at my dealership/dealerships nationwide they are receiving z4 M40's and the thing was an absolute beast popping and crackling like hell straight from the manufacturer. So if this was the case, then why would BMW still be producing and shipping cars that are loud and popping? Only cars with the new 48v hybrid (21 m340, 21 m440) are no longer popping/ crackling. In my own personal 21 m340 I can get it to pop at 3000 rpm in sport + but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #103
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not sure if it's been said on here, but you can disable the whole Remote Upgrade function in the Data Privacy menu.

Car > Settings > General Settings > Data Privacy > Select "Individual selections > uncheck Remote Software Upgrade.

Now if you go to the Remote Software Upgrade section, it says the function isn't active.

I'm staying on 11/2020.50 until the cows come home.
Attached Images

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #104
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

How can the hybrid cause that issue when the engine comes on all that shouldn't matter. You still have the same inline 6 motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #105
G20SLAM
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
How can the hybrid cause that issue when the engine comes on all that shouldn't matter. You still have the same inline 6 motor.
Because it is cutting the gas supply earlier allowing less fuel to be injected into the exhaust. Ultimately resulting in smaller, more quite crackles and pops. They may have altered the design of the exhaust flow as well. Not 100% on this but I'm in these cars every day and the m40's without the hybrid engine are popping and crackling loud like we are/were used too
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #106
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What if u disable the start/stop feature?
My understanding was that it was the main purpose of the hybrid motor. Does sport+ eliminate the use of the hybrid or just prevent the start/stop from coming on?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #107
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Not sure if it's been said on here, but you can disable the whole Remote Upgrade function in the Data Privacy menu.

Car > Settings > General Settings > Data Privacy > Select "Individual selections > uncheck Remote Software Upgrade.

Now if you go to the Remote Software Upgrade section, it says the function isn't active.

Best advice
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #108
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

I have a 2020 M340i with AWE touring exhaust. I did the update by accident and I'm really upset about it, it's completely changed the character of the car. I've observed:
  • Cold start seems to be same volume as before
  • Warm start is noticeably quieter
  • Exhaust burbles are more muted than before (even with AWE exhaust they are wimpy and hollow sounding)
  • Upshift bangs are more muted than before (not even really a bang anymore)
  • Sport+ has earlier shift points

I had just gotten the car to a point car where it was sounding great. Excessive amounts of loud burbles after you get on the throttle a bit and good upshift sounds. I beat the crap out of the car last night after the 03/2021 update to see if I could coax any noises out of it and I was incredibly disappointed. I was hoping the car would change character over time after the update but I've observed the above consistently for my last 5 rides.

I guess my only hope is another update that reverts this change, not sure how likely that is. I'll complain to the relevant BMW channels and see if I can get any answers. I really don't want to start messing with the car's DME but I'm seriously considering bootmod3 just so I can change the characteristics of the exhaust rather than...whatever it's doing now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 08:37 PM   #109
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21.M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post

Best advice
But 2021? What we do
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #110
Narek_M4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

Car is updated to 3/2021.67 worst thing. Lost everytin on my 2020. STRONG ADVISE DONT UPDATE YOUR CAR.
Appreciate 0