Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW building cars without touch screens!!

11-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #89
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
When I ordered my 330i back in February it turned out to have the "Advanced" (ha!) Hi-Fi deleted and I didn't even know that until I got in it. Even the HK is pretty crap so as you might imagine, the base-system is shit beyond belief. Not that I was particularly bothered as I usually just listen to Talksport in the car so it doesn't matter to me but just the other day I thought I'd try some music but gave up. Every other manufacturer can manage it but BMW audio has always been utter toss.
Agree its not the best system, neither the worse but for me it's not it has to HK it's about how much is removed from what is an expensive purchase before you have to say enough is enough on what I ordered and expected. I purchased this car because I want that engine and was/am prepared to take some hit in this climate but how much
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #90
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Wouldn't say the HK is crap at all. Once ran in and set up correctly the quality is very good.
Compare it to the B&O in an Audi. Or even the Bose in an Audi.
B&O in Audis is ~£1500-£2k though, and on some models even more as part of the Comfort & Sound pack.

Admittedly, the HK in my G20 was shite until I had the Amp replaced due to the bass cutting issue, but after that it was much better. On my G15 it's excellent, albeit it standard fit equipment. Certainly wouldn't be paying £4K plus for B&W!

Best I've heard is Burmester in Mercedes though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #91
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Quote:
Compare it to the B&O in an Audi. Or even the Bose in an Audi.
Odd that you can't get the Bowers and Wilkins system in anything below a 5 series?! Wonder if it is down to size?
      11-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #92
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Don't know about the B&W. I had the B&O as part of the Comfort and Sound pack but the pack wasn't a £1500 pack then. Perhaps it is now.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:20 AM   #93
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Don't know about the B&W. I had the B&O as part of the Comfort and Sound pack but the pack wasn't a £1500 pack then. Perhaps it is now.
Yeah it's pricey - just had a look too, and looks like it isn't even available any more on the A4/6. It's £3,500 on the E-tron though…wow
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #94
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead76 View Post
Tried using just the idrive knob and isn't as intuitive in android auto, HK is certainly a deal breaker for me, my dealer maintains though that he has orders that have been affected but my order is not, taking that with a pinch of salt even though I believe he believes it's the case, I have ordered every package and just hoping this possibly means I need, gesture, touchscreen, clutching at straws I know
HK is (still) unaffected on M340i/d orders that have it as part of the tech pack. It is removed if its a standalone option and not available at all on the other engines. That's what I was told when I placed my order. Apparently you also still get enhanced bluetooth under the same conditions.
At what stage does the HK get deleted? I have ordered it separately and when I checked last week nothing has been deleted yet. This was before the information about the touch screens came to light. I was toying with the idea of picking the tech pack anyway so if this will guarantee HK then I might need to amend my order. I will send my dealer an email
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #95
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
At what stage does the HK get deleted? I have ordered it separately and when I checked last week nothing has been deleted yet. This was before the information about the touch screens came to light. I was toying with the idea of picking the tech pack anyway so if this will guarantee HK then I might need to amend my order. I will send my dealer an email
I did not know either but have ordered the Tech Plus Pack.

My latest order has....

493 Additional Storage Compartment & 418 Extended Storage Contents (Is any of that the cubbyhole?)
688 Harman/Kardon Surround Sound Audio
System
5DN Parking Assistant Plus
6U8 Gesture Control

And what has been deleted, so far.

48Z Deletion lumbar support/width adjustment passenger
side
Z6W Deletion of Wireless Charging
32Z Digital Key Deletion

Last edited by gashead76; 11-12-2021 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:50 AM   #96
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
Quote:
Tried using just the idrive knob and isn't as intuitive in android auto, HK is certainly a deal breaker for me, my dealer maintains though that he has orders that have been affected but my order is not, taking that with a pinch of salt even though I believe he believes it's the case, I have ordered every package and just hoping this possibly means I need, gesture, touchscreen, clutching at straws I know
HK is (still) unaffected on M340i/d orders that have it as part of the tech pack. It is removed if its a standalone option and not available at all on the other engines. That's what I was told when I placed my order. Apparently you also still get enhanced bluetooth under the same conditions.
I have no idea and I don't think it's consistent either which is what the biggest problem is really. They need to be more transparent about the process and find a way to standardise comms to the customer.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #97
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

The fact is, it's 2021 not 2011 and also a £50k+ car. To remove something as fundamental as a touch screen on an infotainment system is a big change in my view.

The 1 series I had on rental in Spain last month had a touchscreen. Why haven't BMW made the decision to limit the spec change to cheaper models either across the entire range or just the G20/G21's? It's a big mistake.

Mine's not going into build until early 2022 so if it carries on at this rate, I'll be cancelling my order.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #98
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
...And what has been deleted, so far.

48Z Deletion lumbar support/width adjustment passenger
side
Z6W Deletion of Wireless Charging
32Z Digital Key Deletion
My order doesnt show the digital key deletion. Did you order the Comfort Plus Pack?

At the end of the day, if it's not delivered to the original spec you will have the right to cancel or refuse delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #99
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When I ordered my 330i back in February it turned out to have the "Advanced" (ha!) Hi-Fi deleted and I didn't even know that until I got in it. Even the HK is pretty crap so as you might imagine, the base-system is shit beyond belief. Not that I was particularly bothered as I usually just listen to Talksport in the car so it doesn't matter to me but just the other day I thought I'd try some music but gave up. Every other manufacturer can manage it but BMW audio has always been utter toss.
Got my first BMW in 1996. There you couldn't accuse BMW audio of being crap, as the car didn't actually come with a radio as standard. I think that they did put some paper coned speakers in which were utter dross.

As it is I tend only to listen to the radio (spoken) rather than music, that was until I got this car with its crap DAB reception. Now listen to far more music and am more than happy with HK.
      11-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #100
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpazz View Post
My order doesnt show the digital key deletion. Did you order the Comfort Plus Pack?

At the end of the day, if it's not delivered to the original spec you will have the right to cancel or refuse delivery.
M340! G21

My packs

Tech Plus
Comfort
Vis Pack
Shadowline

and few individual extras

I know, dealer even said that my order should not change and I have touchscreen and in an email so I can easily refuse, completely at odds with whats being reported?

What did you order out of interest and when, what has been deleted?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #101
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The ridiculous thing about all this is that if they were upfront and let people know before the order goes into build anybody who cancels might do so before the car is made and shipped.
This would free up slots for those who might want to stay with the order and free up parts/chips.

I am in a position where it would be difficult now for me not to accept the order but like others will not be happy with these inevitable omissions.
I can reluctantly live without touchscreen but would have preferred reverse assist as have used it on my current M135i.

If I loose HUD and/or HK i will be annoyed though as I keep being told it should be OK and I don't want a step down in tech car from my current with bits I enjoy missing. This would be enough to make me consider cancelling.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring

Last edited by P-ToK72; 11-12-2021 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #102
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
The ridiculous thing about all this is that if they were upfront and let people know before the order goes into build anybody who cancels might do so before the car is made and shipped.
This would free up slots for those who might want to stay with the order and free up parts/chips.

I am in a position where it would be difficult now for me not to accept the order but like others will not be happy with these inevitable omissions.
I can reluctantly live without touchscreen but would have preferred reverse assist as have used it on my current M135i.

If I loose HUD and/or HK i will be annoyed though as I keep being told it should be OK and I don't want a step down in tech car from my current with bits I enjoy missing. This would be enough to make me consider cancelling.

I emailed my dealership today and was told "I was about to call you about this", yeah right BS
Likely built into BMW’s plan that they believe once you’re shiny new car is infront of you at the dealers you will not cancel despite deletions you may or may not know about.

Sorry Mr blogs, I was under the impression you were aware that the car doesn’t now come with lights
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #103
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This would free up slots for those who might want to stay with the order

I emailed my dealership today and was told "I was about to call you about this", yeah right BS
I would rather know now, possibly do know and my dealer is correct, leaving to the last minute certainly doesn't help me or what I want as a customer.

Has your dealer confirmed touchscreen is deleted?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #104
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would rather know now, possibly do know and my dealer is correct, leaving to the last minute certainly doesn't help me or what I want as a customer.

Has your dealer confirmed touchscreen is deleted?
Pretty much, he mentioned it on an email and I am due to speak with him later this afternoon around 5PM when I finish work.
He has mentioned Touchscreen and Reverse Assist and the £500 being a reimbursement but it appeared to be after the car had been collected / finance signed etc so doesnt appear to be removeable from the finance / deposit.

I will speak with him later and report back what is says. Can't see him wanting to say much about the HK/HUD at this stage.
My build is at "scheduled stage" and scheduled week (subject to change) is wc 06 December so plenty of time for things to change still.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #105
MarcoPM
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

So I've also had the call from my dealer last week mentioning that I won't be getting the touch screen but I ordered the car on 18th September (week 37). Is there anything I can do??? I've got another bmw with touchscreen and use it a lot with apply CarPlay because the Idrive wheel doesn't work too well with CarPlay. Any advice on how or what I can say to them to make sure that they include touch screen within my purchase. The person I spoke to already mentioned that I can withdraw at any time which I don't want to do so I can't really bluff them. They've given me a 12% discount on the car so I know I've got a fairly good deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #106
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much, he mentioned it on an email and I am due to speak with him later this afternoon around 5PM when I finish work.
He has mentioned Touchscreen and Reverse Assist and the £500 being a reimbursement but it appeared to be after the car had been collected / finance signed etc so doesnt appear to be removeable from the finance / deposit.

I will speak with him later and report back what is says. Can't see him wanting to say much about the HK/HUD at this stage.
My build is at "scheduled stage" and scheduled week (subject to change) is wc 06 December so plenty of time for things to change still.
Build W/c 52 here, good to know what has been deleted from your build, other than possibly packages affecting builds my dealer must have it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #107
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPM View Post
So I've also had the call from my dealer last week mentioning that I won't be getting the touch screen but I ordered the car on 18th September (week 37). Is there anything I can do??? I've got another bmw with touchscreen and use it a lot with apply CarPlay because the Idrive wheel doesn't work too well with CarPlay. Any advice on how or what I can say to them to make sure that they include touch screen within my purchase. The person I spoke to already mentioned that I can withdraw at any time which I don't want to do so I can't really bluff them. They've given me a 12% discount on the car so I know I've got a fairly good deal.
Your options are the locate a landed car that meets your needs and that has a touchscreen. Or, buy something else. Or, learn to be OK with no touchscreen. Do not count on them or anyone easily being able to retrofit a touchscreen later. It should be a do-able retrofit, but won't be sanctioned and will certainly be costly.
      11-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #108
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Unsure you can do anything other than except it or refuse the car, andriod auto the same, works with a Touchscreen far more intuitively to me than the wheel.

If only they said it could be retrospectively changed if you forgo the cash incentive, that looks like it isn't possible too, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #109
MarcoPM
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Your options are the locate a landed car that meets your needs and that has a touchscreen. Or, buy something else. Or, learn to be OK with no touchscreen. Do not count on them or anyone easily being able to retrofit a touchscreen later. It should be a do-able retrofit, but won't be sanctioned and will certainly be costly.
Yeah I get where you're coming from. As the chap mentioned from week 43 is when the cut off was for the no touchscreen option but mine was ordered week 37 I would've hoped they would just put the touchscreen in. I did ask when he informed me if it would be possible to add the ability of touchscreen after and he did say no which makes sense. I have called other bmw dealers and out of 5 dealers they only had like 2-3 cars which wasn't the spec I wanted. Do you think that I could fight my corner and say that I ordered the car before the 43rd week so I should be eligible?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #110
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you think that I could fight my corner and say that I ordered the car before the 43rd week so I should be eligible?
Some of us ordered in June and look as if we are getting the calls.
Appreciate 0