Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Tracker? Immobiliser? Both? Neither?

02-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #1
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition G81 Touring

Tracker? Immobiliser? Both? Neither?

What's the consensus around here for the above? I'm surprised how easy the 340 was to insure without any of these other than factory alarm etc.

Part of me thinks do I really want the car back after it was stolen?? So no Tracker then... I have gap insurance so should I care?

And immobiliser is very intrusive into the car's electrics. You are stuck if it ever goes wrong. And dealer wont be able to help?? Scares me to death. Ghost was recommended to me.

I chose the 340 over an RS4 mainly because it is much more subtle (and a whole lot cheaper) so maybe not as attractive to the scrotes as an RS would be?

What are the thoughts around here?

regards
Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil98 View Post
What's the consensus around here for the above? I'm surprised how easy the 340 was to insure without any of these other than factory alarm etc.

Part of me thinks do I really want the car back after it was stolen?? So no Tracker then... I have gap insurance so should I care?

And immobiliser is very intrusive into the car's electrics. You are stuck if it ever goes wrong. And dealer wont be able to help?? Scares me to death. Ghost was recommended to me.

I chose the 340 over an RS4 mainly because it is much more subtle (and a whole lot cheaper) so maybe not as attractive to the scrotes as an RS would be?

What are the thoughts around here?

regards
Neil
I don't intend to get either. I wouldn't really want the car back if it was stolen. Realise its possible I would regardless, but would rather it was gone and move on to a replacement.
Maybe a different story with a M340, but kinda hoping the 330e is not high up on the scumbags shopping list.

That's why I also don't intend to add anything it to make it stand out. Keep it as low key as possible.

Luckily a couple of neighbours have more inviting cars than me.
      02-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I posted my thoughts on the other thread but I agree with willougs - I shan’t get either.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Doesn’t the Connected App mean that a tracker is virtually redundant?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Possibly SG but an experienced thief taking to export or break would know how to remove the sim or disconnect the combox. A proper tracker would be hidden.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Leaving the 330e plugged in all the time will throw them, even if you handed over the key 🤔

The wife still forgets to unplug it and wonders why it won't start 🙈 and we had an F30 330e for 4 years before the G20 turned up.

I've had 3 cars stolen in my 30 years of owning vehicles. When they want it and are willing to go to any length, then IMHO private owners probably just need a good honest (regarding non standard mods) insurance policy and GAP insurance for the next car 🤷🏻*♂️

Unfortunately, things could be worse than getting an opportunity to order something new 2 years into the 4 year company car lease 🤔
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

I had a tracker on my E46 M3, it was found within 2 hrs of me reporting it missing, was a mess when I got it back, more from the forensics than the thieves.

Now got a Ghost Immobiliser, I have no intentions of them getting it off the drive.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0