Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK No Phone Data on Carplay

01-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

No Phone Data on Carplay

Hi,

My iPhone 12 (I wiped the car to add this from scratch) has suddenly started to have no data when using Carplay.

I can see what is happening. The phone is connecting to the car's wifi and trying to use that for internet. the giveaway is the wifi symbol on the Carplay main screen. When it works properly I see 3G/4G instead and all is fine. I have never used/tried the cars hotspot for internet.

I have disabled internet in the cars settings but it is ignoring it sometimes. I tried a reboot also. If I turn off wifi completely in the car and turn it back on again it works for a bit then goes back to using wifi randomly. I need the wifi on for wireless Carplay to work though.

I received July OTA update ok. Any ideas geniuses????
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
Hi,

My iPhone 12 (I wiped the car to add this from scratch) has suddenly started to have no data when using Carplay.

I can see what is happening. The phone is connecting to the car's wifi and trying to use that for internet. the giveaway is the wifi symbol on the Carplay main screen. When it works properly I see 3G/4G instead and all is fine. I have never used/tried the cars hotspot for internet.

I have disabled internet in the cars settings but it is ignoring it sometimes. I tried a reboot also. If I turn off wifi completely in the car and turn it back on again it works for a bit then goes back to using wifi randomly. I need the wifi on for wireless Carplay to work though.

I received July OTA update ok. Any ideas geniuses????
I had this exact problem and it was driving me absolutely nuts! I hope this fixes it for you too. Do exactly what you’ve done before (I expect), delete the phone from the car and the car on the iPhone under bluetooth and Wi-fi.

The key bit that fixed it for me, I changed the name of the iPhone under General - About - Name. I think before it was “Steve’s iPhone XS Max” and I changed it to “Steve iPhone XS”. I then went through the pairing of a new phone and bingo, it worked!

Not sure if just changing the name was the main thing, as it had been working with the longer name with apostrophe before.

Good luck, hope it works!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Steve. I saw what may have been your post or a similar one elsewhere. It was working before though and my phone name is fairly short. It is driving me nuts. It works fine then suddenly my phone connects to the cars wifi hotspot for internet and all data connectivity is lost. If I turn wifi off and on in the cars settings it works again for a random time, seconds to minutes then does it again! So frustrating. Will try changing name and wiping it yet again thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem- no data when using car play. I have tried changing the phones name but to no avail. Let me know if you find a solution?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e m sport

I had to change the phones settings on my iDdrive to "not share the internet access" - so the phone still could use the WiFi connection but it didn't treat that connection as internet access.

Is this the problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperistops View Post
I had to change the phones settings on my iDdrive to "not share the internet access" - so the phone still could use the WiFi connection but it didn't treat that connection as internet access.

Is this the problem?
I selected Internet off in the iDrive mobile phone settings? I was told this fixes it but it hasn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

It's not internet off, it's the sharing setting

Thread here may help

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1623752
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I selected Internet off in the iDrive mobile phone settings? I was told this fixes it but it hasn't for me.
I had the Internet option disabled since my BMW free trial data plan ran out.

The reason I knew mine was something to do with my pairing was that when my daughter was in the car, she takes over the CarPlay with her Apple Music, so I knew it was something with my iPhone as hers was behaving normally.

I just thought of an additional step I forgot to mention. When deleting the pairing must do step 2 below as well:
1) Delete all the connections to that iPhone in the iDrive mobile connections
2) On the iPhone, go to Settings - General - CarPlay - BMWxxxxx (for your car) and select “Forget This Car”
3) On the iPhone, delete the car from Bluetooth and Wi-fi connections
4) Make sure Internet option is disabled on iDrive in the car
5) Go through the new phone pairing process again
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #9
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's not internet off, it's the sharing setting

Thread here may help

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1623752
I only have an internet option, nothing for internet sharing? I am going to wipe the phone from the car and from carplay on the phone and try again having modified the phone name slightly also, but I am away from the car for a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:50 AM   #10
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I could be wrong but clear your car details off your phone and phone details off the car so you're starting from scratch. Then just go into the CarPlay settings on your phone, don't bother with Bluetooth in the car, and connect that way. I seem to think that's how I did it and it works perfectly. So don't pair your phone to the car apart from CarPlay. Fingers crossed.....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 03:53 AM   #11
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
I could be wrong but clear your car details off your phone and phone details off the car so you're starting from scratch. Then just go into the CarPlay settings on your phone, don't bother with Bluetooth in the car, and connect that way. I seem to think that's how I did it and it works perfectly. So don't pair your phone to the car apart from CarPlay. Fingers crossed.....
Thanks for the tips. Will it still work for phone calls ok out of CarPlay without Bluetooth? I assume it will use the wifi network for it. I will be able to try tomorrow in my car thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #12
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Try connecting with the Bluetooth but when it asks for WiFi say no.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Try connecting with the Bluetooth but when it asks for WiFi say no.
Do you not need WiFifor wireless CarPlay to work?

Not easy this is it!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like your phone is trying to use your car as the source of data rather than your phone network. Have you tried the full remove phone from car and forget bmw on your Bluetooth and WiFi on your phone
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 08:26 AM   #15
stanfonj
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

Might this help?
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, confirms I have been doing it right!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, confirms I have been doing it right!!!
I think the problem is with the phone not clearing out the connection properly. Have you tried another iphone?

The series of steps I posted previously sorted it for me and I'd gone through several unsuccessful rounds of trying to re-pair it.

Nuclear option could be the Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

Problem with this is if you have a lot of wifi networks configured, you have to reconnect / enter the password again.

Did you try the 5 steps i posted before?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 06:03 AM   #18
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
I think the problem is with the phone not clearing out the connection properly. Have you tried another iphone?

The series of steps I posted previously sorted it for me and I'd gone through several unsuccessful rounds of trying to re-pair it.

Nuclear option could be the Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

Problem with this is if you have a lot of wifi networks configured, you have to reconnect / enter the password again.

Did you try the 5 steps i posted before?
Am doing it this afternoon, wish me luck! Can't reset iPhone network settings as have many logons for many places around the world. I wish Apple would let you back them up and check them separately.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #19
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I followed the 5 steps and wiped my phone from the car and re-added it and touch wood it has worked so far so thank you all very much. I did shrink the phone name also so not sure if that helps also?

I will report back after a longer drive but fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #20
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I followed the 5 steps and wiped my phone from the car and re-added it and touch wood it has worked so far so thank you all very much. I did shrink the phone name also so not sure if that helps also?

I will report back after a longer drive but fingers crossed.
Good news! Glad it worked. Mine has been fine since I did this.

Agree, losing all the stored Wi-fi settings is a nightmare.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #21
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It is back!!

Worked perfectly on the way to work. Coming home my phone decided to log back on the the cars hotspot randomly and use that again. Internet in car still turned off so now driving me completely bonkers. Turn wifi off in car then back on again and this fixes it for a random few minutes.

I feel a dealer visit coming on sadly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #22
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is back!!

Worked perfectly on the way to work. Coming home my phone decided to log back on the the cars hotspot randomly and use that again. Internet in car still turned off so now driving me completely bonkers. Turn wifi off in car then back on again and this fixes it for a random few minutes.

I feel a dealer visit coming on sadly.
What iOS version are you on? Are you on 14.4?
Appreciate 0