Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK So how do you listen to your music?

02-08-2021, 02:13 AM   #1
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition G81 Touring

Question So how do you listen to your music?

With so many options to listen to music I thought I'd stay open minded and try them all before committing / paying for any additional streaming service to fully experience the HK music system.

But it doesn't seem as clear cut as I'd hoped. Whilst I have the MP3 player stacked full of all my 70's Pink Floyd albums I do enjoy the streaming services and as I do a lot of miles (even in lockdown) I quite like to search for bands that pop into my head or I hear on Radio6.

But how do you search on the streaming services whilst driving?
1) BMW Connected Music is the best integration .... but only works 50% of the time?

2) Apple Carplay dumbs down the app so has no search facility - can u call Siri?

3) I see there is a Spotify option in the options list presumably integrated into the dash, but even tho I ticked the option I don't seem to have it other than on the Apple carplay side. I read elsewhere it may have been discontinued as an option by BMW?
I'm not a fan of Carplay and its not that stable either. So like I say. surprisingly I prefer the BMW (Napster) integration but seems like it loses network connection way too often.

What are your experiences / preferences?
regards
Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:27 AM   #2
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

90% through Spotify via iDrive, never use Android Auto and the rest off the hard drive. Very rarely listen to the Radio.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:43 AM   #3
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I thought the Spotify depreciation only affected iDrive 6?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:47 AM   #4
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
... and the rest off the hard drive.
There's a hard drive in the system?
      02-08-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
I also use the native Spotify app, it works very well. I tried using flac files from a connected drive but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. When I use Android Auto, I use either Spotify or YouTube Music, but neither is better in Android Auto than the native iDrive Spotify app.

I don't know in your market, but where I live the service has not been discontinued.

Other than that, I use the radio a lot as well, or listen to podcasts on Spotify or Google Podcasts with Android Auto. That, BTW, is the only reason for using Spotify with Android Auto, since, for some strange reason is not supported with the native app.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:51 AM   #6
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
90% through Spotify via iDrive, never use Android Auto and the rest off the hard drive. Very rarely listen to the Radio.
Quote:
Hmmm I've seen on YouTube where Spotify is supposed to appear in Idrive but mine doesn't give me the option. Even tried updating the apps but no joy.

What's the Spotify integration like? Any good?
N
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:10 AM   #7
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Quote:
... and the rest off the hard drive.
There was one in the 2019/2020 cars, but it was removed for the 2021 version. I had the G20 before and I had the drive option. Now I have a G21 2021 and that option is gone.

Where are you, in the UK? I think there was the option of buying Connected Music as a Service in the UK. Here in Norway it comes included.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:12 AM   #8
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Yes, 20GB if I remember correctly.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:14 AM   #9
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil98 View Post
Hmmm I've seen on YouTube where Spotify is supposed to appear in Idrive but mine doesn't give me the option. Even tried updating the apps but no joy.

N
It's excellent, there are the odd times it's a little slow to connect but that might be due to area/signal, but in the main it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil98 View Post

N
I think if you are signed in to another app like BMW connected music, Spotify doesn't show in the menu. Sign out of the app and Spotify should appear.

I like Spotify as whatever I have saved as a favourite at home appears in my library when I get in the car. I know it sounds obvious but it also so simple.

Whenever I use voice commands to search for a song or album it has always worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:04 AM   #11
TouringDude
Rep
Drives: 330i Sport Touring

BMW connected for me! Really reliable from my end!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #12
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
I think if you are signed in to another app like BMW connected music, Spotify doesn't show in the menu. Sign out of the app and Spotify should appear.
Wow absolutely spot on! I would never have discovered that in a month of Sundays. With that integration it's as usable as the BMW Connected Music with the added bonus of being on my phone also.

Sorted. Many thanks!
regards
Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

I’ve got a 256gb phone, and Apple Music, so CarPlay is best for me. I like the way it just works. To be fair, now that I’m in my 40’s my tastes are quite honed (ie boring) plus I’m listening to more and more podcasts.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #14
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Do you download to your phone from Apple Music or can you stream or both? I have Apple Music but tend to stream rather than download. Does it only work when CarPlay is running? In other words if I used CarPlay to listen to music from Apple Music, can I then switch to BMW NAV for example and still have the music?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #15
nil98
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Do you download to your phone from Apple Music or can you stream or both? I have Apple Music but tend to stream rather than download. Does it only work when CarPlay is running? In other words if I used CarPlay to listen to music from Apple Music, can I then switch to BMW NAV for example and still have the music?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Yes you can switch between the two, but it's clunky switching between the two environments.
N
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
Conrod Bent
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Sport

I was somewhat disappointed when my July build came without a hard drive for storing music, I initially used the Spotify app on iDrive but it would drop connection quite often.
The best solution for me was to download music from Spotify to my phone and play via android auto, I have made a couple of long playlists and play back via the shuffle function in Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:50 PM   #17
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrod Bent View Post
I was somewhat disappointed when my July build came without a hard drive for storing music, I initially used the Spotify app on iDrive but it would drop connection quite often.
The best solution for me was to download music from Spotify to my phone and play via android auto, I have made a couple of long playlists and play back via the shuffle function in Spotify.
Spotify has been very reliable in iDrive but when it does occasionally drop out in poor reception areas, I am pleased I have my HD to fall back on. If I had a newer build without HD, I think I would keep a USB in the arm rest as a back up if needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #18
ADIUK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30e M Sport 2020

Garage List
HD for me 32GB

Spotify and PowerAmp in Android Auto also work well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #19
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
From USB or Music Hard Drive, I always use FLAC files.

For Spotify on Android Auto, I always download Highest Quality playlist files to my phone.

Don't bother with direct streaming as I have more than enough on my phone

And scoured the forums seeking out the best HK Equaliser settings...eventually found some that are good for me
Appreciate 0