Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dodge Boss: "Hellcats Dead After 2023, EV Muscle Cars Coming in 2024"

11-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #67
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Torque is where it's at!! I want as much torque at the lowest RPM possible. So much fun!!!!!
Bingo! My Cobra's torque curve (line) makes the little 2200lb. car fun in any gear at any RPM.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  47.0 KB
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      11-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #68
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
audi RS6 is 5000lbs.
My non-car enthusiast buddy is obsessed with the E Tron GT and has decided it will be his next car. He drew blanks when I brought up how heavy it is.

People literally don't care, they just a car that will go fast in a straight line even though they never floor it. Handling, steering, etc. don't register in the minds of anyone. I can't recall the last time I saw a Tesla driving fast, they just want the bragging rights.

Even among the car enthusiast community, it is probably a minority of us who even care how much a car weighs. We gravitate toward brands like Porsche, BMW, Alfa Romeo. The people who just want to drive fast boats love Mercs Audis Teslas etc.
Appreciate 3
RM72870.00
Cos270608.50
Murf99314114.00
      12-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #69
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
So basically Dodge just threw their entire customer base - that has kept this horrendous brand alive for years mind you - under the bus 👎

Well I guess we know what Vin Diesel is driving in Fast 10.
Ooooorrrrrr it's just evolution of this industry?

I am a Hellcat owner FYI
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      12-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #70
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My non-car enthusiast buddy is obsessed with the E Tron GT and has decided it will be his next car. He drew blanks when I brought up how heavy it is.

People literally don't care, they just a car that will go fast in a straight line even though they never floor it. Handling, steering, etc. don't register in the minds of anyone. I can't recall the last time I saw a Tesla driving fast, they just want the bragging rights.

Even among the car enthusiast community, it is probably a minority of us who even care how much a car weighs. We gravitate toward brands like Porsche, BMW, Alfa Romeo. The people who just want to drive fast boats love Mercs Audis Teslas etc.
I've had a couple Tesla drivers try to play with my Hellcat on the highway, but there was always traffic so no play for them
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #71
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
I appreciate this dystopian view, but its the wrong dystopia.

IMO this is the plan - I work for the company that is enabling it through massive technological capability in autonomous driving. I see the branded rigs up and down I45 in Texas every month, learning. You may have seen the minivans running around Socal, and Arizona...Nuff said.

Soon (in our lifetime), private citizens will not own cars. Period. They will be too expensive to. The resources to build them will be too scarce, and the operating expense will lock most people out of the market. Its actually not a bad idea, when you consider the utilization rates of a depreciating asset. Car shares are a much more efficient way of solving for transportation needs... Auto manufacturers know this. Automobiles are not following moores law, the tech should be getting cheaper, but it isnt, its getting more expensive.

How will this happen? Easy, by making replacement cost too high, by making gasoline too expensive, the private citizen will attrition out of the market. When Gas is $25/Gallon, a $75 Autonomous taxi ride will be cost effective for commuting to work, especially because the most expensive part (the human driver) has been removed.

EVs are just one leg of the future of transportation stool...Enjoy your car while you can, but eventually, you will be unable to repair it, and off it will go forever....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Please don’t take this the wrong way as I give you my word of honor I do not mean it as an insult. For you to have said the things you said in this post there’s absolutely no way in the world you grew up in America. And if you did then you were extremely isolated. Americans will never give up their cars. Ever. Not this generation anyway. Perhaps 100 years from now I don’t know but certainly not now. Not without a fight anyway. I get that you believe what you believe but you absolutely don’t have any clue about the American psyche. If you did you most certainly wouldn’t hold the opinion you have.

Now let’s address what you wrote. In order for you to have that opinion you must firmly believe in global warming and that we are all going to die if we don’t do the things you stated. I would like to know from you or anyone else how we are going to get charging stations built all throughout the entire United States to the capacity that can handle cars pulling up to them and staying there for an hour at a time. Please lay out your plan and timeline for that. Because without that then my prediction of cars running out of juice stranded on the side of the road will absolutely come true.
I work for one of the big companies (rhymes with M&M). Unfortunately, what beachBmmr says is true. Companies are trying to move forward with this approach. Is it possible/feasible? Doesn't matter. There is more stable revenue there, so that's the direction they're heading. I'm in my late 20's and am an outlier in my generation in regards to my enthusiasm and passion for automobiles (be they EV or ICE). The generation(s) after me could not care less. Many don't even have driver's license or care to get them. These are future "customers" that automakers will have to cater to. It is a bleak future, and I try not to think about it too much. I'm just glad that I was able to pick up one of my attainable dream cars this year and I plan to drive it until it's no longer feasible.
Its happening…https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/14/j-...ight-customer/
      01-15-2022, 08:05 AM   #72
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Ooooorrrrrr it's just evolution of this industry?

I am a Hellcat owner FYI
So the Hellcat appeals to my inner teenager. I was 16 in 1977 when muscle cars and cruising were the thing to do. I had a 69 Firebird with some mods that a 16 year old could do and afford. Friends drove big block Chevelle's, Vettes, Cougars, 57 Chevy's, Road Runners etc.

How do you like the Hellcat and what are your feelings about the evolution?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
There is no way in hell society will last long enough for any idealistic vision of EV's to take hold. At its root, EV is not being driven by some alruistic pursuit of a cleaner planet or environmental responsibility. It's about money and ultimately, power. That's it. Now certainly there are many of those that do champion the transition to EV that are being driven by more actual ideals. But in the end it won't make a difference... at all. We will all be steamrolled. ICE engines are a scapegoat used to leverage more power from a society too fractured to fight back. It is also an absolute absurdity that we are to uproot everything for truly minimal long-term gain when you have one country that will never participate and is also the leading cause of all emissions and pollution... not to mention being utterly morally bankrupt. I guess that's my Asian hate talking, though... because that's supposedly a thing, too. EV's are nothing but a farce, taken up as shield and sword by a generation that loves to proclaim its virtue while having not a single shred of wisdom to know what they are really asking or doing.
I'm late to this thread. But Man, this is an excellent post.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Cos270608.50
      01-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #74
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Sounds great. Everyone can polish their knobs over how environmentally woke they've become. Every car gets sub-2.0 second 0-60 acceleration and feels and sounds the same everywhere. Or you can pay $500 for the "choose your own acceleration sound" option that'll get piped over a system that will warn you when you've turned the volume up too loud or are listening to "misinformation." I love the future.
Did Q send you?
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7833.00
Murf99314114.00
chris7197271.50
      01-15-2022, 08:34 AM   #75
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm late to this thread. But Man, this is an excellent post.
A cave man said what?
Appreciate 1
chris7197271.50
      01-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad I don't have to drive in Texas.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #77
houbmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i Sport with SMG

Quote:
Quote:
Glad I don't have to drive in Texas.
We drive from houston to dallas all the time and never noticed the trucks. Impressive if their reporting is true..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:42 AM   #78
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
A cave man said what?
I'll sum it up. It's all bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #79
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbmw View Post
We drive from houston to dallas all the time and never noticed the trucks. Impressive if their reporting is true..
There is a very large gap between Class 8 trucks being autonomously driven with "a certified truck driver and software engineer on board" vs. a tractor trailer travelling on a populated highway in inclement weather with no human driver on board.

Failed brakes on a truck in Colorado still got a driver a 10-year jail sentence even after public outrage and driver's threats to not deliver goods to the state. Once a lawyer figures out how to get past Waymo to Alphabet Inc., this nonsense will stop.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      01-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #80
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

I believe the same Neanderthals who can't master a DCT and "flappy paddles" are the same Cretans that refuse to buy an electric car over their dead body and were watching 1/6 with Cheetolini with a smile on their face. Womp womp. I have a piston on my keyring still, but no jump drive, however I have a DCT because I have evolved and kept up....

I guess some haven't heard that fossil fuels are running out? How long do you want to keep paying $50-$70 for a tank of fuel? They have a finite ending. Last I checked the sun will last waaaaaaay longer than fossil fuels. Caveman want his coal uugg!

I want hot-swapable super capacitors!!! No more built in batteries!
Appreciate 1
chris7197271.50
      01-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #81
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
That’s exactly it. That’s the future!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
540iSUP703.00
      01-15-2022, 08:31 PM   #82
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe the same Neanderthals who can't master a DCT and "flappy paddles" are the same Cretans that refuse to buy an electric car over their dead body and were watching 1/6 with Cheetolini with a smile on their face. Womp womp. I have a piston on my keyring still, but no jump drive, however I have a DCT because I have evolved and kept up....

I guess some haven't heard that fossil fuels are running out? How long do you want to keep paying $50-$70 for a tank of fuel? They have a finite ending. Last I checked the sun will last waaaaaaay longer than fossil fuels. Caveman want his coal uugg!

Lol. I'm near 60 years old now. I've been hearing that shit about "fossil" fuels are finite and running out literally since I've been 10 years old. Adjusted for time value of money, gasoline is barely more expensive now than when I started to drive in 1978. The boogeyman in the sky back then was Global Cooling.

SAVE THE PLANET!!!!
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      01-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #83
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
This year will be critical for me as i plan on ordering my tesla end of this month or next month for an april/may delivery.

I really would like to get my hands on an EV charger. I love the hellcat chargers now (challenger doesn't look as good), it would be nice to see them redesign the charger, and make it an EV. Hybrid would've been good first, as an intro to that technology but if they want to go straight to EV, i think it'll be successful.

It'll be faster than the ICE hellcat in every metric. The only thing people will complain about is the lack of sound. Well that's the future. No sounds. Except a star trek humming noise if you get down and put your ear to the car. It does emit a humming star trek sound.

Immediately full torque the moment you stab the throttle? No waiting for a trans to downshift, not worrying about what RPM you're at? Sign me up!

If you're a speed freak, the EV world is basically heaven. Now if you're a fan of sounds, just keep your favorite ICE car around while you jetson your way in your commute in a fast EV. It's a win win.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #84
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol. I'm near 60 years old now. I've been hearing that shit about "fossil" fuels are finite and running out literally since I've been 10 years old. Adjusted for time value of money, gasoline is barely more expensive now than when I started to drive in 1978. The boogeyman in the sky back then was Global Cooling.

SAVE THE PLANET!!!!
Your time is a spec of sand on the ultimate time line. It only takes a short time to destroy our environment and it can be done in two grains of sand. Give it time. You don't think they can't run out? It's not infinite man. Why do you think all these fossil fuel makers are investing in alternate sources? So "gasoline is barely more expensive now than when I started to drive in 1978". Sure.

Save the planet.

Last edited by FrankMstein; 01-16-2022 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #85
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:

SAVE THE PLANET!!!!
Your time is a spec of sand on the ultimate time line. It only takes a short time to destroy our environment and it can be done in two grains of sand. Give it time. You don't think they can't run out? It's not infinite man. Why do you think all these fossil fuel makers are investing in alternate sources? So "gasoline is barely more expensive now than when I started to drive in 1978". Sure.

Save the planet.
Fukushima and industrial petrochemical farming is going to destroy our planet, starting with the ecosystem and food chain long before fossil fuel burning.. come on, get with the right man made apocalypse
Cos270608.50
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #86
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
If you're a speed freak, the EV world is basically heaven. Now if you're a fan of sounds, just keep your favorite ICE car around while you jetson your way in your commute in a fast EV. It's a win win.
Sound and weight. When an EV can weigh 3000 lbs and make it around Laguna Seca 40-50 times on one charge turning 1:25 laps then recharge in under 20 seconds I will consider them a suitable replacement for gas cars.

My wife can drive an EV. Oh yeah she did drive an Audi etron for a while and then got paranoid about it catching fire while charging and is now back in a gas car, lol.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16943.00
      01-16-2022, 08:34 PM   #87
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Save the planet.
Well, just research some things. There are long-time theories about the Earth's crust converting trapped carbon into oil in short time spans. Just don't believe one side of it.

Oh no, in 2020, gas was actually less per gallon than in 1978... (and that includes three gas tax increases totaling 14.3 cents since 1983)

Right. Save the planet. It sucks when reality doesn't fit the narrative.

LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-16-2022 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #88
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Well, just research some things. There are long-time theories about the Earth's crust converting trapped carbon into oil in short time spans. Just don't believe one side of it.

Oh no, in 2020, gas was actually less per gallon than in 1978... (and that includes three gas tax increases totaling 14.3 cents since 1983)

Right. Save the planet. It sucks when reality doesn't fit the narrative.

LOL
Don't worry, it is US$8 per gallon here and our roads are so poor that on a road I've personally averaged 101kmh on without going above 110kmh on they want to drop it to 80kmh because we can't maintain the road any more.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-ba...RHGBEZULXSTF4/

But don't worry, we can do this stupid shit instead of improving roads.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/...mmed-shambolic

It can always get worse....