Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 inactivity for a long time. Battery disconnection

06-04-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
xsi123
Rep
Drives: VW

Question G20 inactivity for a long time. Battery disconnection

Hello, 2021 G20 owner here.

I need to leave the car for about 6 months without starting it. Unfortunately, it will stay outside (no indoor garage).

I will buy a good car cover and use it but the main concern is the battery. A battery tender is not an option as there is no power outlet near the area the car will be. So I am thinking of disconnecting the battery.

The car has two batteries. One on the bottom of the trunk and one in the engine compartment (passenger side)

1) do I disconnect both batteries? Or only the one in the trunk?

2) do I disconnect both poles? Or only the negative? Or only the positive?

3) when I get back, is it as simple as just connecting the battery(ies) and everything will work?

4) am I better off just leaving the batteries connected and let them die and replace them (or just charge them) when I get back?

5) The car has remote start. So I could start it occasionally remotely (using the app), maybe every week. But I am reading that remote start can be used only up to 2 times consecutively. Then the can needs to really start from inside in order to use remote start again.

Any concerns or suggestions?

Thank you !
Appreciate 0