Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Return or keep: Michelin PS4S v BWM Star

03-31-2024, 08:27 PM   #23
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
They are both rated at 300 tire wear, meaning they wear at the same rate under the same circumstances.
if the compound is different it will wear differently.

a rating is just a number. 2 M rated shows are completely different on whether i'd let me kids watch it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:37 PM   #24
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
if the compound is different it will wear differently.

a rating is just a number. 2 M rated shows are completely different on whether i'd let me kids watch it
Oh, of course, sorry man. Those numbers are completely meaningless. They are of absolutely no value whatsoever and they are there for decorative purposes only.

EVERY single tire no matter what will wear differently in the end because of the unique situations a single tire will undergo in its life.

These ratings are to show how fast a tire will wear when under the EXACT same circumstances. It is a guide to give an INDICATION of wear, and they can be very useful. Over decades of driving I have found them to be a great indicator.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:30 AM   #25
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
These ratings are to show how fast a tire will wear when under the EXACT same circumstances. It is a guide to give an INDICATION of wear, and they can be very useful. Over decades of driving I have found them to be a great indicator.
This is Tirerack's description of how to come up with Treadwear rating:

"UTQG Treadwear grades are based on actual road use where the test tire is run in a convoy on a 400-mile test loop in Texas (West Texas, actually) for a total of 7,200 miles. The test vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked, and tires rotated every 800 miles. At the end of the 7,200 mile test, the wear on the tires is measured and compared to a reference tire that was being run under the same conditions. If the test tire is expected to last as long as the reference tire, it receives a UTQG Treadwear grade of 100. If it is expected to last twice as long, it would receive a grade of 200. 300 means it is expected to last three times as long, and so on."

Tirerack does quote 2 reasons why the treadwear ratings may not be incredibly reliable:

1. the test run is only for 7200 miles
2. manufacturers are allowed to under-report the Treadwear grade

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...utqg-standards
Appreciate 0