Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics CarPlay issues

05-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
Lemuecg20
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M sport

CarPlay issues

Has anybody have issues connecting their iPhones to use CarPlay? My phone finds my 330i but I don’t know what else to do to get my apps to show on the screen. Any help will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Delete device from car. Forget from phone. Re pair. Accept CarPlay on phone and car. Also under Mobile devices make sure WiFi is on
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 02:08 AM   #3
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
I also have 'bluetooth' switched on my phone but not sure if required but worth a try
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 02:15 AM   #4
Wodzu
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i / BMW F30 318d

So, waiting for my 330i to pop out, I have been given with a fully equipped (M sport, executive package, HK, all the driving assistants, etc.) 320D xDrive for a weekend and had a chance to give it a 450 kilometers test drive. I found it superb and a great improvement over F30 (which I will replace with g20 330i within next month). One thing however which seemed not to work that flawlessly was the Bluetooth iPhone integration. The connection (iDrive as well as CarPlay modes) was dropped several times. I had to reboot the phone in order to reconnect, play with Bt, Wifi settings, delete the phone and reconnect it a couple of times. So I guess its not that rare issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

I wonder, what version of iOS do you use? I read somewhere that updating from 12.2 to 12.3 solves some issues. Did it and had no drop outs this morning. 1hr drive.
      05-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Lemuecg20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Delete device from car. Forget from phone. Re pair. Accept CarPlay on phone and car. Also under Mobile devices make sure WiFi is on
I did it but the accept CarPlay option doesn’t show 🤷🏽*♂️. I don’t even know what to do next 🤬
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
Lemuecg20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
I wonder, what version of iOS do you use? I read somewhere that updating from 12.2 to 12.3 solves some issues. Did it and had no drop outs this morning. 1hr drive.
I just updated my phone with the latest and greatest version. CarPlay is nowhere to be found in my settings 🤷🏽*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Uoflfan27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuecg20 View Post
Quote:
I just updated my phone with the latest and greatest version. CarPlay is nowhere to be found in my settings 🤷🏽*♂️
It's not in settings and then general? 5th option down
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoflfan27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuecg20 View Post
Quote:
It's not in settings and then general? 5th option down
CarPlay is great when it works but it's really flaky. For example, I get in my car and start it up, CarPlay connects just fine. But if I say "hey bmw, take me.... (insert destination) CarPlay completely disconnects a few moments later. Is this expected? Am I forced to use my phone's GPS to keep CarPlay connected? Even if I cancel the route through BMW, CarPlay will not reconnect until I restart the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
CarPlay is great when it works but it's really flaky. For example, I get in my car and start it up, CarPlay connects just fine. But if I say "hey bmw, take me.... (insert destination) CarPlay completely disconnects a few moments later. Is this expected? Am I forced to use my phone's GPS to keep CarPlay connected? Even if I cancel the route through BMW, CarPlay will not reconnect until I restart the car.
I really hope BMW will get their act together and fix this issue or update software to allow wired CarPlay. Does BMW expect people to pay $80 a year for broken CarPlay? I haven’t heard any other car makers charging for subscription and have it not working.

I’m getting my car in a few weeks having CarPlay was one of the major decisions to get this car. Maybe I should just bail out on my order.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
I really hope BMW will get their act together and fix this issue or update software to allow wired CarPlay. Does BMW expect people to pay $80 a year for broken CarPlay? I haven’t heard any other car makers charging for subscription and have it not working.

I’m getting my car in a few weeks having CarPlay was one of the major decisions to get this car. Maybe I should just bail out on my order.
I switched to using bluetooth for the time being, since Carplay was so bad. Hopefully with the next firmware update..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #12
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

I've had CarPlay in rental cars (mostly Chevys) for a couple of years now. Has worked flawlessly there.

I have a 330i on order - odd that the only car manufacturer that charges for CarPlay would have so many issues.
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

I have the same issue. Switched it off for now. Has anyone spoken to a SA about it yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
ferbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 2019 Sportline

I recently purchased the new 3 Series g20. Wonderful car.
However I am having a problem with the app waze in apple car play.
As far as I know apple car play uses wifi to connect withe the vehicle.
The problem is the waze app turns the map randomly and losses the route selected starting again from the point/strett where the map turns itself. Other symptom is the map turns upside down and sometimes is like the car is moving backwards in the map.

Has anybody experienced this? Solutions? Update for the firmware? Connecting with usb seems not to be possible, only wifi for using apple car play.

By the way, when I disconnect the iphone from the car the app works perfectly with no bugs.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
westox
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330 X Drive

I recently got the new G20. The first day I played with the bluetooth and tried to connect carplay it worked for couple hours and disconnected afterwards. Now I tried to reconnect over the com->mobile device and the idrive system will freeze after I tried to add a device or delete the current device. In another words, the bluetooth is not responsive at all.

Any one knows a possible solution to reset the bluetooth system of idrive? Or how to reboot the idrive system? I believe mine is in version 7.0. I tried to turn off the car, locked, turn on and it still gives me the same bluetooth issue. There seems to be a bug of it.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #16
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

So one of the BMWNA reps called me to check in about the car (which is a nice touch that I didn't think they would do). I told them about the only real issue I've had being the apple CarPlay. They acknowledged the issues, and said that I should try deleting my phone from the car and delete my car from apple CarPlay in my phone. After doing that, try re-pairing. They said that may need to be done whenever iOS updates. I tried it.

It didn't work. Oh well. Will wait til iDrive updates, and then try again. Bluetooth for me until then, which is sort of a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
ferbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 2019 Sportline

Yesterday I traveled with a friend in a Jeep Compass with APC. None of the bugs described here appeared on this car. How can BMW be have so many problems with APC? Are the other makers genius in IT or the IT guys from BMW are simply narrowminded? Cannot believe a luxury?? car has so many issues
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #18
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by westox View Post
Any one knows a possible solution to reset the bluetooth system of idrive? Or how to reboot the idrive system? I believe mine is in version 7.0. I tried to turn off the car, locked, turn on and it still gives me the same bluetooth issue. There seems to be a bug of it.
I've been having problems with ConnectedDrive (which I'm figuring out is wide spread, but BMW doesn't want to admit it.) Here was what they suggested for me to update, restart. The pressing and holding of the volume button for an extended period has been the method for many generations now, for what it's worth.

- Via the iDrive "Apps"
- You will see a grey screen with the choice to either select Installed Apps or the BMW Store. Select neither option.
- Press the OPTION button near your iDrive controller.
- Select "Update Installed Apps and Services."
- After the update is complete, select "Close."
- Activate a sleep cycle in your vehicle by pressing and holding the mute (VOL) button for 30-45 seconds with the car on but parked.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
Antkn33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Mine connects about half the time. It seems it’s beca my phone is still connected to my homes wifi when I start the car. If I manually connect to the cars wifi and disconnect/ re- connect the phone in idrive CarPlay works.
Seems like an obvious problem that bmw should have known about.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #20
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Mine connects all of the time without issue but then the car / phone lose connection. It tries to reconnect but usually fails. On the next start up it's connected again.

I'm using a iPhone X with the everything up to date.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Mine connects all of the time without issue but then the car / phone lose connection. It tries to reconnect but usually fails. On the next start up it's connected again.

I'm using a iPhone X with the everything up to date.
Program one of the physical radio presets to toggle Bluetooth on/off. When it disconnects next, toggle Bluetooth off then back on. That should prompt a reconnect to phone.

Clearly BMW has OS and/or Bluetooth driver issues they need to resolve. That said, Bluetooth is a pretty crap technology to begin with and it's rarely trouble free. Even previous generations of iDrive has their fair share of issues. Probably not as bad as iDrive 7 is dealing with now, but they've had them.
      06-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Program one of the physical radio presets to toggle Bluetooth on/off. When it disconnects next, toggle Bluetooth off then back on. That should prompt a reconnect to phone.

Clearly BMW has OS and/or Bluetooth driver issues they need to resolve. That said, Bluetooth is a pretty crap technology to begin with and it's rarely trouble free. Even previous generations of iDrive has their fair share of issues. Probably not as bad as iDrive 7 is dealing with now, but they've had them.
Just Programmed one and will try next time it disconnects. Thanks.
Appreciate 0