Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Which mods for a leased G20?

05-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Which mods for a leased G20?

Hi All!

So many great mods in here, from ceramic protection, custom wheels, m performance parts, tints, tunes etc. My question is which would you do on a lease vs if you own the car? I’m likely jumping into a 36 month lease and there’s only so much additional $ I want to put into a car I’m giving back eventually.

So what have you done to your leased G20 and what would you never do to a leased car?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I've always leased but I also get the itch to do some mods.

My theory is to do any mods that can easily be reversed, provided you have the storage space to keep the OEM parts.

For example, I still get all my leased cars tinted and BMW doesn't care as long as it's not some crappy $99 tint that's peeling/bubbling or turning purple. My old 340i I cut out the resonator to have a louder exhaust and I just had the same shop put it back in before I turned the car in. Other mods I did were a reflector delete, esys coding, rear diffuser, spoiler, BMS intake, JB+, new wheels. All of which I undid and sold off before my lease ended. Only hassle is the selling part and having to keep your OEM parts ready to put back.

This time around, I was able to custom order my M340i so I just got it with most of the stuff I'd usually mod (got the M diffuser, spoiler, front lip, MPE, etc..) I'd prefer it this way as I don't need to worry about selling the parts afterwards to recoup the costs and the price is residualized into the lease. Sure it added a huge bump in MSRP and it took away from the fun of DIYing it but the peace of mind and the experience of picking the car up from the dealer with everything already installed was great.

So all I've done is a window tint, carbon fiber mirror caps, black mesh grill, ceramic coating, esys coding. All that costed me less than $500 (Other than the tint I did the install myself along with ceramic coating and coding myself). Might do a tune as well but debating it.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi

Last edited by NYC_340i; 05-04-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

A ceramic coating isn't something that will give you problems at lease turn in. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, neither will something like tint because they'll just take the tint off when/if they decide to keep your car to sell on the lot when it goes in for its detail before it hits the lot.

As long as you return the car as it was when you got it, you'll be fine. If you decide to change wheels, you have to put back the stock wheels back on for lease turn in. From my understanding, BMW is starting to get a bit more strict with tunes but coding the car shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #4
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@ View Post
A ceramic coating isn't something that will give you problems at lease turn in. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, neither will something like tint because they'll just take the tint off when/if they decide to keep your car to sell on the lot when it goes in for its detail before it hits the lot.

As long as you return the car as it was when you got it, you'll be fine. If you decide to change wheels, you have to put back the stock wheels back on for lease turn in. From my understanding, BMW is starting to get a bit more strict with tunes but coding the car shouldn't be an issue.
One bonus of changing wheels and tires is that if you do it with good tread on the original RFTs you can stash those away and put them back on at lease return and have good tread on them. In the meantime you can have different wheels and non-RFTs if you so prefer.

I'd be afraid to tune it unless it's truly reversible with no way the dealer can come back at me for it. I know most tunes claim to be 100% revertible to stock but I am wary of that given how sophisticated the scan tools are.

Coding stuff via BimmerCode and the like probably won't be an issue. I bet no dealer ever even knows it was done and many don't even know it can be done by the end user. I've told both Audi and BMW sales people that I coded my car and they were like "you can do that???"

I leased and I've done tint, painted reflectors, a dash camera, and coding so far. All of it is reversible but where I live, they'll appreciate the quality tint job and I doubt they'll even notice the painted reflectors if I don't take them off.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 04:13 AM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Nitrous
Appreciate 4
      05-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
One bonus of changing wheels and tires is that if you do it with good tread on the original RFTs you can stash those away and put them back on at lease return and have good tread on them. In the meantime you can have different wheels and non-RFTs if you so prefer.

I'd be afraid to tune it unless it's truly reversible with no way the dealer can come back at me for it. I know most tunes claim to be 100% revertible to stock but I am wary of that given how sophisticated the scan tools are.

Coding stuff via BimmerCode and the like probably won't be an issue. I bet no dealer ever even knows it was done and many don't even know it can be done by the end user. I've told both Audi and BMW sales people that I coded my car and they were like "you can do that???"

I leased and I've done tint, painted reflectors, a dash camera, and coding so far. All of it is reversible but where I live, they'll appreciate the quality tint job and I doubt they'll even notice the painted reflectors if I don't take them off.
The scanning tools have become very advanced. Audi has a process where the car is scanned and the results sent back to HQ each time the car goes in for service BEFORE it goes into the back to get any type of repair or maintenance done. Manufacturers are cracking down because they don't want to be responsible for mistakes made by the consumer. Obviously, it's become a big enough problem that they're taking measures to stop it.

The latest Bosche ECU's have been very difficult to crack. It took a couple years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Tuner
Downpipe (if legal)
Intake
Catback exhaust

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
My theory is to do any mods that can easily be reversed, provided you have the storage space to keep the OEM parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@ View Post
The scanning tools have become very advanced.... Manufacturers are cracking down because they don't want to be responsible for mistakes made by the consumer.
The above 2 points are a tidy summary regarding mods on leased cars.

Ultimately, you have a little leeway depending on the dealership that is taking the car back... I've heard of cars being returned with different wheels and bolt-ons (lips, spoilers, etc) with no push back from the dealer; some people have even gotten away with suspension mods exhaust/intake stuff as well. Really depends, but the safest strategy remains getting reversible mods (especially for our cars).
      05-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
My dealers words were "as long as it's a common enough mod that most wouldn't classify as a nuisance".

His examples given were drastically lowering the vehicle and/or attaching a huge wing to the back of the vehicle.

I had the KW coilovers on my F30 and loved those and wish I could upgrade on my leased M340. I don't think I'm going to risk it though. Good news is my BMW dealer is also a certified Dinan dealer so if I opt for their exhaust, I highly doubt it will affect my lease turn in. And even then I'll probably swap it out and put the stock one back on before I turn her in.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Glashutte
Rep
Drives: 330i Msport

As said above reversible mods are highly recommended. JB+ is a nice way to bring the 330i around 300hp for only $200. It also wont throw error codes on default settings since it adds 2.75-3psi by default. So you shouldn't worry too much about warranty.

I would also pick up a bluetooth OBSII reader and bimmercode to code in sport+ since North American 330is dont get sport+ activated.

Double check with your dealer first. Ask the salesperson in charge of the lease what their policy on cosmetic mods are. The general rule of thumb is nothing too extreme or out of conventional taste. I would assume a tasteful m performance style trunk spoiler or side skirts wouldnt be a problem.
Appreciate 0