Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Maintenance Intervals?

10-30-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
latexyankee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330i Msport

Maintenance Intervals?

first BMW

I heard that people ignore the recommended 10kmi and tend to do their own service at 5k regardless. IS this true or just hearsay from enthusiasts?

I see the oil change interval is changing...for instance it said due in 7500mi a few weeks ago and now says 8000mi. Is this due to the way the car is driven?

I'm not much into doing my own car maintenance but I do have tools, I HAVE changed oil in a car before etc...Is this procedure any different or more involved than any other vehicle? Is it that much more difficult than any honda/mazda?

The dealer told me there are specific BMW branded liquids...like transmission/brake fluid even washer fluid lol? Any truth to this?

I'm debating on doing my own oil and taking the car in at the recommended service points ( my next would be 60k). Not sure if its worth it. the entire vehicle history up to this point has been done at the dealer so keeping those records immaculate would be great for resale/trade-in. Plus the dealer will scan for other potential problems which is a positive and a negative as they want my cash.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

depends.

10k mi too long for some, ok for some.

the most correct answer is to send oil sample to find out if 10k is too long.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

without oil analysis you don't know.

if you don't plan to keep car forever, 10k is ok as it is within long life oil spec

if you want to be super super safe without doing oil analysis 5k
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
without oil analysis you don't know.

if you don't plan to keep car forever, 10k is ok as it is within long life oil spec

if you want to be super super safe without doing oil analysis 5k
What they said..... I will also note, you can check your oil level lets say every 1k or 2k miles and you will see for yourself the B58 tends to consume more oil than lets say, a Toyota Corolla LE, lol.
For ex, I had my oil last changed at 15k miles and am now at 18,600 miles and have consumed about 70% of my oil. My local shop just did the oil change for me yesterday.
      11-01-2022, 10:46 PM   #5
latexyankee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330i Msport

I have no issues changing oil at 5k miles as I only drive maybe just over that in a year anyway. Who knows might Increase but not by much.

I'm looking for an indie mechanic in Columbus OH area.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexyankee View Post
first BMW

I heard that people ignore the recommended 10kmi and tend to do their own service at 5k regardless. IS this true or just hearsay from enthusiasts?

I see the oil change interval is changing...for instance it said due in 7500mi a few weeks ago and now says 8000mi. Is this due to the way the car is driven?

I'm not much into doing my own car maintenance but I do have tools, I HAVE changed oil in a car before etc...Is this procedure any different or more involved than any other vehicle? Is it that much more difficult than any honda/mazda?

The dealer told me there are specific BMW branded liquids...like transmission/brake fluid even washer fluid lol? Any truth to this?

I'm debating on doing my own oil and taking the car in at the recommended service points ( my next would be 60k). Not sure if its worth it. the entire vehicle history up to this point has been done at the dealer so keeping those records immaculate would be great for resale/trade-in. Plus the dealer will scan for other potential problems which is a positive and a negative as they want my cash.
My strategy is to do the free maintenance for first 3yrs & augment with oil changes every 5K. I had the first oil change done at 5100 miles (out-of-pocket, $120) at the dealer, without the maintenance minder (MM) being reset. At 10K miles, I will get the first free maintenance done & reset the MM. After the free maintenance has expired, I will either use an independent BMW shop or use the dealer if savings/coupon opportunities match the indie shop's prices.
      11-06-2022, 12:02 AM   #7
RCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

For my current 330i, last 328i, and f90 before that, i just went by the recommended oil change light in the car. Typically it was either 10K miles OR one year. I think that is fine for non M engines.
I always change the oil myself, not because it makes economic sense, but because I like working on cars and not much else I can do with modern ones.

The oil is generally much darker, indicating that it picked up impurities as it should. Also, cabin filters get quite dirty around here, in an urban area. Manual says change every other oil change, but I may do sooner in the future.

Just changed the air filter on my current 2019 330i, at the recommended 4th oil change. Also a bit dirty. Will check every change, may increase replacement frequency.

Last 2015 328i recommended changing spark plugs at 60K miles, which I did. They looked kind of bad and the car seemed to run a bit better with new plugs. Something to consider when you get over 50K miles, but a good mechanic can check at the close oil change.

Long winded answer.... recommended maintain sched warning lights and in Service manual is fine. Filters depend on local, so just check at each oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

For my M340i X drive, I've been trying to find the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual (a download) but cannot.
From what I read on this site, it seems they recommend every 10k.
What about Cabin and Oil filters?
I found something that showed Brake Fluid change at 3 years.
How do you get a free Brake Fluid Change at 3 years when the free maintenance expires?
My Audi and MB both recommend brake fluid change every 2 years.
I can see Germain BMW responding to me saying "sorry, your 3 years free maintenance is up" when I show up on the 3rd year anniversary for a brake fluid change.
I only put about 5k per year anyway.
      12-27-2022, 08:14 PM   #9
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley@07726 View Post
For my M340i X drive, I've been trying to find the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual (a download) but cannot.
https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...aintenance.pdf
      03-02-2023, 03:52 PM   #10
Darren Lewis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latexyankee View Post
I have no issues changing oil at 5k miles as I only drive maybe just over that in a year anyway. Who knows might Increase but not by much.

I'm looking for an indie mechanic in Columbus OH area.
Don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I am a new M340 owner/member here, also from Columbus (east side). Best Motor Werks has great reviews online, that is where I was planning to take mine.
Appreciate 0