Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals E90 to G20, and the end of an era

04-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #45
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Nice post, great history.
I live in Toledo. I'm familiar with this dealer.
Congratulations on your car. I drove one G20 M340 loaner from this same dealer, and absolutely loved the engine noise and response. I took the longest way to the office that day.
Enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #46
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Awesome write up, didn't know they're still delivering vehicle

this was on my top list, but we had first born and I didn't want to wait for G20 340 to came out, got G30 540 (2019) xDrive (a lot more comfort driven to appease wife before I was forced to buy E class) in the end
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #47
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuene93 View Post
Congrats on the new ride and very thorough write up. Stay healthy and enjoy the ride!
Thanks and you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Vas View Post
I know I couldn't go from an enthusiast spec BMW (rwd,manual,m-sport) to a new BMW. Mostly because all the new cars are just not special. They are dime a dozen now.

Enjoy the new ride.
I've been there. This was a completely unthinkable move until a year ago. Kids change everything, and doing everything I could to safeguard my son and family overruled even this.

I went out driving in my "new normal" today, auto-hold on and driving only with the paddles. It's very different in around town driving but the essence of what made manual special (the absolute control) is still there if a bit muted. I'm confident as my skill increases, the gap will shrink. There is no replacement for the clutch pedal though, that's just a casualty of war for me. I miss heel and toe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioM3 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I had 2007 335i manual, great car but, after 4 years and 160k miles, it had to go, after that I bought 2008 e92 M3 manual, after small exhaust modification it transformed from good car to great one, now I have a dilemma, we have two cars in family, our f31 320d estate and my M3, we need to switch to one car from next year, reading your story and many others, I still can't decide to go for F80 M3 CP Manual or M340i xDrive auto, why didn't you go for F80 M3?
Oh boy. I came THIS close to ordering an F80 M3 at the end of production. The numbers didn't align for a new one, but what ultimately killed it for me was the lack of adaptive cruise, another feature I never thought I needed until I took some 14 hour road trips in cars with it. Never ever arrived at my destination feeling more fresh and alert than that before, it made it a must-have.

I even considered it with DCT when I realized my wife needed to be able to drive it. The real one that almost broke me was the M2 Competition. If I didn't need 4 doors, I would have gone for that and NEVER looked back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM3Boy View Post
Thank you for the Amazing post and Congrats on the purchase!

There are so many similarities that at times it felt like I am reading my own story!
I still haven't let go of the E90 and I know I will cry when I do!

Stay safe!
Thanks so much, you as well! Good luck!

Last edited by -EndOfAnEra-; 04-02-2020 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      04-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #48
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
Nice post, great history.
I live in Toledo. I'm familiar with this dealer.
Congratulations on your car. I drove one G20 M340 loaner from this same dealer, and absolutely loved the engine noise and response. I took the longest way to the office that day.
Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks! Was a great surprise to find a true gem of a dealership and a spectacular CA. Let me know if you ever need a referral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Awesome write up, didn't know they're still delivering vehicle

this was on my top list, but we had first born and I didn't want to wait for G20 340 to came out, got G30 540 (2019) xDrive (a lot more comfort driven to appease wife before I was forced to buy E class) in the end
Thanks! When the madness started and I was still waiting at port, I figured it would be a long time before taking delivery, but I seem to have just squeezed it out. I was checking trackers every hour it seemed, lol.

I was at one point all set on 540i but before I pulled the trigger figured I better wait for what the new 3 has to offer, and that sealed it. I'm still too young at heart for a 5

Still think the G30 is the final classic BMW in looks and suspect it will age the best of all the cars released in the last 3 years. I wouldn't be shocked at all though if I took a hard look at a 5 next time around. Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
Pauloxxi339.00
clee1982796.00
      04-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #49
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Congrats on the purchase.

Like many here I just find it very hard to give up my E90, save for the M2 I just can't find a modern BMW that provides me the level of enjoyment behind the wheel this car does. It was a product of a different era in BMW's corporate philosophy and a different era in consumer tastes. But unfortunately E90s are getting old and difficult/costly to maintain. Your write-up was a joy to read, enjoy the new ride.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-02-2020 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #50
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Nice. I still love my e90 non-turbo manual with sport and luxury packages. This was all needed in a BMW if the day. I kept it for 8 years and then moved into F80 M3. Sold M3 after only 3 years. Hated the steering, the sound despite installing m performance exhaust was still not perfect to me, did not like the turbo concept either.
When choosing my next car, I did not even consider 3 series as I thought BMW has lost it forever. I mean if they messed up M3, imagine how bad F30 must have been.
I moved into 2020 M550. 5er is the same width as M3 but like 10 inch longer so still fits into my garage.
What I love about 5 is v8, steering, exhaust sound, interior. While this is higher class car vs 3, the sporty feel is there. Considering 3 and 5 now of the same generation, those sporty improvements I found in 5 should be available in 3er.
I believe that F generation was probably the worst BMW delivered in recent decades, and G generation is where they fixed itself. When my 5er lease is up, I will consider 3er again.
      04-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #51
theserbatron
Private
Rep
Drives: S3 8V --> M240i F22

Nice read! Congrats... and glad you found a cozy place for the ZHP knob to lie in wait
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #52
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wow!! What a nice write! Congrats on your new car...

You hit the spot exactly, I am still holding with my E90, I tested the M340i 3 times already, but didn't reach the point that I can make the decision!
      04-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #53
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Great write up mate, many thanks! And totally get it - a lot of people concentrate on steering but you are so right re NA in-line 6 opposed to turbo and transmission. After 9 months with my 8AT 340i mppsk, as much as i love it, I so find self missing that oh so sweet 6 speed box coupled with the E92 330i, 272bhp block. Trade offs as you say.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #54
olz_e91
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330D M Sport

Congratulations on the new car. Very thorough and interesting read. I love reading about people's car history and how they found them to drive and own, very intriguing.

I would love to own the touring version of the M340i, but A) funds don't allow it and B) I would be worried that I would hate how it drives. I currently own an E91 330d 6MT, and it is an absolute blast to drive and chuck around. I'm not really a fan of the intrusive driving aids as it means there is more to go wrong and I would feel that I would become a lazy driver/pay less attention to road. However, the exhaust note of the B58 engine is divine and from what I have read, quite economical as well, although that isn't what you buy a car like that for.

I can't wait for a more in-depth review of the M340i from yourself. I'm sure that will make for an interesting read.

I wish you all the best with it
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #55
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Awesome post!!

Steve was my CA also (live about a mile from the dealership) ...funny guy!!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #56
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theserbatron View Post
Nice read! Congrats... and glad you found a cozy place for the ZHP knob to lie in wait
Shhhh... don't tell anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Congrats on the purchase.

Like many here I just find it very hard to give up my E90, save for the M2 I just can't find a modern BMW that provides me the level of enjoyment behind the wheel this car does. It was a product of a different era in BMW's corporate philosophy and a different era in consumer tastes. But unfortunately E90s are getting old and difficult/costly to maintain. Your write-up was a joy to read, enjoy the new ride.
I was blessed with nothing mechanically going wrong save a water pump for five years, the same five years I financed... Funny how in the sixth year I had to completely redo the front suspension, the chargepipe blew and the oil filter housing gasket started to slow leak... Not gonna lie that was a mild factor as well. From new, if I get 10 years I'll be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
Wow!! What a nice write! Congrats on your new car...

You hit the spot exactly, I am still holding with my E90, I tested the M340i 3 times already, but didn't reach the point that I can make the decision!
DOOOO EEET! The dark side calls to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Great write up mate, many thanks! And totally get it - a lot of people concentrate on steering but you are so right re NA in-line 6 opposed to turbo and transmission. After 9 months with my 8AT 340i mppsk, as much as i love it, I so find self missing that oh so sweet 6 speed box coupled with the E92 330i, 272bhp block. Trade offs as you say.
Thanks! One of the first shocks I received on the E90 is that I no longer had to make the engine SING unless I wanted to go VERY fast. That instantly made it harder to hear that glorious song in the city! My E46 required you to take her to 5000 to do... extra legal speed. So much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olz_e91 View Post
Congratulations on the new car. Very thorough and interesting read. I love reading about people's car history and how they found them to drive and own, very intriguing.

I would love to own the touring version of the M340i, but A) funds don't allow it and B) I would be worried that I would hate how it drives. I currently own an E91 330d 6MT, and it is an absolute blast to drive and chuck around. I'm not really a fan of the intrusive driving aids as it means there is more to go wrong and I would feel that I would become a lazy driver/pay less attention to road. However, the exhaust note of the B58 engine is divine and from what I have read, quite economical as well, although that isn't what you buy a car like that for.

I can't wait for a more in-depth review of the M340i from yourself. I'm sure that will make for an interesting read.

I wish you all the best with it
Thanks! I'm one of those silly Americans that would probably take an M340xi Touring over anything else and keep it until the wheels fall off, then get new wheels and keep it some more! More driving impressions are being generated, give me some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Awesome post!!

Steve was my CA also (live about a mile from the dealership) ...funny guy!!
Thanks, he really is the best!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #57
MackDivaS6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP and 2011 E90 M3

Fantastic story - thanks for sharing! I’m still missing my e90 m3 MT (sold it 2 years ago), and still have my e46 330 zhp MT and still love zipping around in it. Thinking of adding another vehicle and was considering buying another e90 m3 just because I miss it so much, but this write up has me considering the newer models now. Always a luxury to add a third car to the family so no hurry, but this has given me new avenues to explore.

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #58
GOOSE13
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i 2019 BMW X3

Great read. Hope you are enjoying the new ride. I traded my 2013 328i M sport coupe for my M340i back in November. I needed a four door and after months of finding the right 2017-2018 M3, only to have them sold before I could get to them, my wife convinced me to go with the M340i. The first month was miserable with regret for not holding out another month for an M3. Now 5 months in, I love the car. Takes a few months to get used to the new tech inside. Adding M performance exhaust in January helped too! Big improvement from the stock exhaust. Enjoy and i will be waiting to read your updates in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 11:37 PM   #59
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDivaS6 View Post
Fantastic story - thanks for sharing! I’m still missing my e90 m3 MT (sold it 2 years ago), and still have my e46 330 zhp MT and still love zipping around in it. Thinking of adding another vehicle and was considering buying another e90 m3 just because I miss it so much, but this write up has me considering the newer models now. Always a luxury to add a third car to the family so no hurry, but this has given me new avenues to explore.

Thanks! I was too new to BMW to know the significance of the ZHP when I had my E46, but I think about them all the time now if I were to get a fun car and didn't want to break the bank.

I considered E90 M3 last time around but the delta was just too big at the time. Definitely think that if you want one again, now is the time before price goes the way of the E39 M5!

Enjoy the car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOSE13 View Post
Great read. Hope you are enjoying the new ride. I traded my 2013 328i M sport coupe for my M340i back in November. I needed a four door and after months of finding the right 2017-2018 M3, only to have them sold before I could get to them, my wife convinced me to go with the M340i. The first month was miserable with regret for not holding out another month for an M3. Now 5 months in, I love the car. Takes a few months to get used to the new tech inside. Adding M performance exhaust in January helped too! Big improvement from the stock exhaust. Enjoy and i will be waiting to read your updates in the future.
Thanks! The tech is great, but I must say some of it feels like a solution to a problem that didn't exist before, such as, why is the default Comfort and not Sport like all 3-series BMWs before modes?

That said, I set my Sport Individual to have Comfort steering because I noticed that while Sport has a more traditional weight, Comfort has a closer feel and linearity to a pre-electric setup in my opinion. Still need more seat time to come to a conclusion!

I really wanted MPE but didn't want to delay my build. There's no real volume until you go Sport+ so I'm balancing between hearing that exhaust and not being obnoxious on the road! May very well look at it in the future though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #60
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDivaS6 View Post

Thanks! I was too new to BMW to know the significance of the ZHP when I had my E46, but I think about them all the time now if I were to get a fun car and didn't want to break the bank.

I considered E90 M3 last time around but the delta was just too big at the time. Definitely think that if you want one again, now is the time before price goes the way of the E39 M5!

Enjoy the car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOSE13 View Post
Thanks! The tech is great, but I must say some of it feels like a solution to a problem that didn't exist before, such as, why is the default Comfort and not Sport like all 3-series BMWs before modes?

That said, I set my Sport Individual to have Comfort steering because I noticed that while Sport has a more traditional weight, Comfort has a closer feel and linearity to a pre-electric setup in my opinion. Still need more seat time to come to a conclusion!

I really wanted MPE but didn't want to delay my build. There's no real volume until you go Sport+ so I'm balancing between hearing that exhaust and not being obnoxious on the road! May very well look at it in the future though.
Get MPE. obnoxious sound is not how I'd describe a factory exhaust option.
      04-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #61
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
DOOOO EEET! The dark side calls to you!
hehehehe...I will consider it again, promise!

Congrats again for your new ride!

Let me know if ever miss your E90
      04-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #62
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT "Beast"

Just curious, did you consider getting rid of the wife, instead of a stick shift vehicle?

J/k, looks great and good luck with your new whip, and thanks for the history of the previous cars, the look awesome as well, especially that E46!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #63
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Enjoyed this! I learned stick in my first BMW back in 2004. Also a black E46. I still miss that car. Also like you, I kept my most recent shifter knob from my F30 6MT though I keep it on my desk as opposed to my glove compartment.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #64
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I changed my mind I'm finding it harder and harder NOT to keep engine in Sports Plus! It just sounds RIGHT.

Quote:

Thanks! What I'm missing from the E90 is the mechanical feel. And as fast as the paddles are, it definitely feels weird that my left leg has nothing to do, and every shift feels exactly the same, like clockwork. No more games rev-matching or seeing how fast and smooth you can shift.

This is a good reason to keep transmission in Sports Plus, because the harshness of the shifts reminds you that YOU are shifting! Will have to see if I still feel this way in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriver85 View Post
Just curious, did you consider getting rid of the wife, instead of a stick shift vehicle?

J/k, looks great and good luck with your new whip, and thanks for the history of the previous cars, the look awesome as well, especially that E46!
Thanks, she's too well equipped to give up so easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Enjoyed this! I learned stick in my first BMW back in 2004. Also a black E46. I still miss that car. Also like you, I kept my most recent shifter knob from my F30 6MT though I keep it on my desk as opposed to my glove compartment.
That's awesome! Pics?
Appreciate 1
Pentium184.50
      04-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #65
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I changed my mind I'm finding it harder and harder NOT to keep engine in Sports Plus! It just sounds RIGHT.

Quote:

Thanks! What I'm missing from the E90 is the mechanical feel. And as fast as the paddles are, it definitely feels weird that my left leg has nothing to do, and every shift feels exactly the same, like clockwork. No more games rev-matching or seeing how fast and smooth you can shift.

This is a good reason to keep transmission in Sports Plus, because the harshness of the shifts reminds you that YOU are shifting! Will have to see if I still feel this way in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriver85 View Post

Thanks, she's too well equipped to give up so easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
That's awesome! Pics?
Regarding shifting with paddles, enjoy it. I don't know how they feel in the new 3 series, but in my m550 I find them too gentle and not as quick as I would expect (after driving DCT M3 for 4 years). So in the 5er I put it into sport plus everything and the car comes alive. I feel the way they programmed everything, the car is always in right gear and even sounds better as opposed to when I start intervening.
      04-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #66
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Regarding shifting with paddles, enjoy it. I don't know how they feel in the new 3 series, but in my m550 I find them too gentle and not as quick as I would expect (after driving DCT M3 for 4 years). So in the 5er I put it into sport plus everything and the car comes alive. I feel the way they programmed everything, the car is always in right gear and even sounds better as opposed to when I start intervening.
I've played a bit in S mode, it's hard to give up control coming from a manual! How did you break free having driven DCT beforehand?

I noticed today that S mode in the M340i isn't as close to my own shift points as it was in a much weaker F30 328i. I think its mostly because the car wants more from me than I am prepared to give on city streets! #1stWorldProblems

Oh, and as part of keeping that control, I was certain I was going to use Auto-Hold a lot. I tried it a few times but it just breaks up the overall flow with that light pedal pressure to get it going. That slow creep is awfully convenient sometimes!
Appreciate 0