Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW Lease Return Questions

03-13-2024, 01:13 PM   #1
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

I had a few questions on BMW lease return process that I’m sure many have gone through in the past.

-My car came with run flats originally, I changed them to different tires question is do I have to install the original tires the car came with prior to returning?

-I have my car lowered on dinan springs, I really don’t want to have to put the stock ones back on but must I? Will BMW check?

-I had the resonator removed at muffler shop, must I re-install the original?

-edit: forgot to mention I am over miles by about 7,000 miles

I’m hoping I can get away with the springs on the car and the resonator delete and just go find the original run flat tires the car came with on here and call it a day, what do you guys think?

Lastly I was thinking I’ll wait towards lease end and just get another BMW lease but i assume the dealer will do a lease return on the old one and leave me with a hefty bill at the end regardless. Trading in my car doesn’t make sense as I’m roughly $7,500 negative on it if I were to do so to avoid all the over miles, tires, etc

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

You need to put the car back to stock. If your just giving the car back at the end of the lease and are getting a new car they generally waive the disposition fee, that would be the only charge unless the car has damage.

If you are getting another car, and have a good sales guy they won't mind a bit of wear and tear above what BMW are normally comfortable with. My last lease had a big hole in the front bumper where someone drove into it in a car park but they covered it for me. I would of been in a couple of thousand dollars on return if they hadn't. The dealer either take the car in (aka buy it from BMW FS) and sell it, or BMW FS retains ownership and they send it to auction.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:00 PM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
I had a few questions on BMW lease return process that I’m sure many have gone through in the past.

-My car came with run flats originally, I changed them to different tires question is do I have to install the original tires the car came with prior to returning?

-I have my car lowered on dinan springs, I really don’t want to have to put the stock ones back on but must I? Will BMW check?

-I had the resonator removed at muffler shop, must I re-install the original?

I’m hoping I can get away with the springs on the car and the resonator delete and just go find the original run flat tires the car came with on here and call it a day, what do you guys think?

Lastly I was thinking I’ll wait towards lease end and just get another BMW lease but i assume the dealer will do a lease return on the old one and leave me with a hefty bill at the end regardless. Trading in my car doesn’t make sense as I’m roughly $7,500 negative on it if I were to do so.

Thank you
they will definitely check tires, needs to be run flats. doesnt have to be the same brand/model that it came with.

i believe the inspection is done usually 3rd party and their goal is to find fees...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:23 PM   #4
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
You need to put the car back to stock. If your just giving the car back at the end of the lease and are getting a new car they generally waive the disposition fee, that would be the only charge unless the car has damage.

If you are getting another car, and have a good sales guy they won't mind a bit of wear and tear above what BMW are normally comfortable with. My last lease had a big hole in the front bumper where someone drove into it in a car park but they covered it for me. I would of been in a couple of thousand dollars on return if they hadn't. The dealer either take the car in (aka buy it from BMW FS) and sell it, or BMW FS retains ownership and they send it to auction.
Not sure if I’m going to get another BMW with how leases are, not to mention I’m over miles by about 7k so overall I’m in a bad situation. I was told the tires have to be same as equipped with a little star shown on the tire wall, is that also true?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:25 PM   #5
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
they will definitely check tires, needs to be run flats. doesnt have to be the same brand/model that it came with.

i believe the inspection is done usually 3rd party and their goal is to find fees...
Maybe I’ll find a used set of run flats or some off here
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:28 PM   #6
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Any in sight on over miles? Another reason why I don’t want to do a lease return is I’m over miles by about 7k I know if I get another BMW lease they waive the disposition fee but I’m still worried about it being lowered…tires I’ll find a used set or see if I can find same size run flats with the star on the tire wall since I was told it has to be BMW approved tires from someone…
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:35 AM   #7
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Any in sight on over miles? Another reason why I don’t want to do a lease return is I’m over miles by about 7k I know if I get another BMW lease they waive the disposition fee but I’m still worried about it being lowered…tires I’ll find a used set or see if I can find same size run flats with the star on the tire wall since I was told it has to be BMW approved tires from someone…
they are probably .20-.35 per mile, which isn't the end of the world but you would be dinged for those as well. if you ended up getting another BMW perhaps the dealer can work with you.

I believe it might be possible to purchase additional miles during your lease, which potentially might be cheaper than the overage miles.

Try giving BMWFS a call.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:32 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Another option is to. Buy the car. Assuming the price to do that is reasonable
That would presumably avoid the check on lease return
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:57 AM   #9
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Your best option could be just to buy it out. If you login to your BMW FS account you can see the buyout amount.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:56 AM   #10
LostInSpace
Private
Rep
Drives: G20, G01, Past: E60, F10, G30

Buy it and then sell it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:48 AM   #11
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
they are probably .20-.35 per mile, which isn't the end of the world but you would be dinged for those as well. if you ended up getting another BMW perhaps the dealer can work with you.

I believe it might be possible to purchase additional miles during your lease, which potentially might be cheaper than the overage miles.

Try giving BMWFS a call.
I looked into that were talking about $3,000 for over miles…
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:52 AM   #12
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Another option is to. Buy the car. Assuming the price to do that is reasonable
That would presumably avoid the check on lease return
Quote:
Your best option could be just to buy it out. If you login to your BMW FS account you can see the buyout amount.

I suppose I can see what the residual is to purchase it. If I go about purchasing the car I’m paying tax, title and fees on it. Then what’s the car going to be worth on a trade in? I’m still going to be negative on it making it difficult to get a new car and rolling negative into it, not to mention I’m Buying a car with 44k miles on it and would need to get an extended warranty if I’m planning on keeping it for a few more years.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:58 AM   #13
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I suppose I can see what the residual is to purchase it. If I go about purchasing the car I’m paying tax, title and fees on it. Then what’s the car going to be worth on a trade in? I’m still going to be negative on it making it difficult to get a new car and rolling negative into it, not to mention I’m Buying a car with 44k miles on it and would need to get an extended warranty if I’m planning on keeping it for a few more years.
Your paying tax, title, fees on a new car as well. Your lease already has a title, you are not paying for that again. Tax is state dependent, but here in NY/NJ you would be paying tax on the residual buyout. Do you really need a new car? Serious question because it sounds like your not really in a position to get one, plus if you get another lease and do a lot of miles you will be in the same position anyway. 44k miles is nothing on these cars really, they are very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 12:21 PM   #14
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
These are all the questions you should of asked BEFORE leasing a car.

BMW gave you a brand new car with a certain contract terms and conditions and that is how they expect their car back.

You best option is to buy the car out as stated by others or pay all the fees they are going to charge you.

Your car's residual should be pretty attractive if you leased it 3 years ago.

PS: There is no way you are getting away with resonator delete (This is a big no no on a leased car) or the springs or the tires for that matter.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:16 PM   #15
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Your paying tax, title, fees on a new car as well. Your lease already has a title, you are not paying for that again. Tax is state dependent, but here in NY/NJ you would be paying tax on the residual buyout. Do you really need a new car? Serious question because it sounds like your not really in a position to get one, plus if you get another lease and do a lot of miles you will be in the same position anyway. 44k miles is nothing on these cars really, they are very reliable.
I got 12k miles per year and ended up doing a lot of driving. I don’t need a new car but I do want something EV. I’m just worried if I buy out my lease I’m going to hit 50k miles in no time and be out of warranty.

If I lease again I’m going with 15k miles per year..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:17 PM   #16
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
These are all the questions you should of asked BEFORE leasing a car.

BMW gave you a brand new car with a certain contract terms and conditions and that is how they expect their car back.

You best option is to buy the car out as stated by others or pay all the fees they are going to charge you.

Your car's residual should be pretty attractive if you leased it 3 years ago.

PS: There is no way you are getting away with resonator delete (This is a big no no on a leased car) or the springs or the tires for that matter.
Will the inspector really look under the car and be able to tell if something is modified?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:26 PM   #17
JLH81
Rep
Drives: 2023 Acura TLX Type S

I would recommend buying the vehicle and then trading it in. I was in a similar situation and found that to be the best direction to go in.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:39 PM   #18
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Will the inspector really look under the car and be able to tell if something is modified?
If it is done by the book, they scan for codes, put it on a lift inspect for leaks and damage & etc. It is a pretty detailed inspection.

Having said that, I've been through cases where they just walked around the car and took it in or there were times, I had to schedule an appointment for a lease return inspection where there was a full detailed inspection.

One bet you might want to take is to schedule a return inspection and see what the report says but you will still have to pay for the miles.

Your absolute best bet it to buy the car.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 01:55 PM   #19
Stag77
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M340i XDrive

Quote:
I looked into that were talking about $3,000 for over miles…
They're charging you almost 43 cents a mile? That sounds excessive. You can log in to your My BMW and check the cost of overage miles, as well as the cost of buying more miles. You can even purchase the miles right there.

A buddy of mine recently returned a Lexus and leased another car with the same dealership. They forced him to return the car to stock, including his lowering springs, but waived all other fees including his over mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:12 PM   #20
JLH81
Rep
Drives: 2023 Acura TLX Type S

Does BMW offer mileage waivers? If so, how many miles will they usually waive?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:39 PM   #21
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag77 View Post
They're charging you almost 43 cents a mile? That sounds excessive. You can log in to your My BMW and check the cost of overage miles, as well as the cost of buying more miles. You can even purchase the miles right there.

A buddy of mine recently returned a Lexus and leased another car with the same dealership. They forced him to return the car to stock, including his lowering springs, but waived all other fees including his over mileage.
Charge per mile .25 I guess they give you a break if you pre purchase them but it’s still thousands.

I reached out to a dealer to get a new 330i and they were rolling my remaining payments into the new lease and said I’m responsible for paying the over miles separately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:42 PM   #22
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
If it is done by the book, they scan for codes, put it on a lift inspect for leaks and damage & etc. It is a pretty detailed inspection.

Having said that, I've been through cases where they just walked around the car and took it in or there were times, I had to schedule an appointment for a lease return inspection where there was a full detailed inspection.

One bet you might want to take is to schedule a return inspection and see what the report says but you will still have to pay for the miles.

Your absolute best bet it to buy the car.
I know some manufacturers have the appraisal simple by doing a walk around for tires, dings, dents etc if BMW is that detailed that they require the car to go into service on a lift and get inspected then I need to inquire with the dealership and see what the process is.

In the past the BMW genius did the lease return checklist process not sure if that’s still the case.
Appreciate 0