Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Amazon no longer has a one-week price guarantee

01-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Amazon no longer has a one-week price guarantee

when the heck did amazon do away with their 7 day price adjustment policy.
my kid saved up some money and wanted to buy a new ipad. so i ordered one 4 days ago. 379 bucks... cheaper than going thru apple. he got it yesterday.. was so proud... we set it up and he was happier than a pig in sh*t.

online today.. and i see the price dropped 50 bucks on amazon to 329.00
in the past i recall being able to get adjustments within 7 days.... not anymore. they said to return it and buy another one... i told them it was already opened.. it was already set up? they are gonna make me go thru the trouble of returning it? then they are stuck with an open box ipad that they have to sell at a discount.

been a prime member for over a decade and im flabbergasted that i have to jump thru all these hoops... i know.. first world problems... 50 bucks back in my kids pocket would make his day tho...

sorry.. just ventint
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Can blame the idiots that take advantage of Amazons return policy for these kind of cut backs.
      01-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Many credit cards offer a 30 day price guarantee. Might be worth looking into if yours does.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

This goes beyond just the 7 day price match and return policy. This topic is actually very timely. I've been buying some things on Amazon lately. The price fluctuations make me feel as if I'm buying stock. Product should not be changing/bouncing around all over the place. One item I was going to buy was at $37 for a couple of weeks. I finally get around to wanting to buy it. It jumps to $49.95. I watch the item for a few days. Then it drops again to $37. Should have pulled the trigger then but I was heading to bed and was going to order in the morning. A mere few hours later and the price jumps back up to $49.95. Really?

I found a site which tracks pricing history for items on Amazon. www.camelcamelcamel.com You just drop the URL into the search field and it spits out the price history for the item for I think the past year. You'd be surprised by how much pricing swings happen. Another item I was watching jumped from $167 to $219.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410880.50
P111541.50
      01-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You guys know that unless it is exclusive to amazon, then you can most likely find it cheaper elsewhere? Unless you want/need that same/next day delivery.
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      01-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Buy it for $329, return it under the other order at $379 if it's worth the $50 hassle to drop off at Kohls.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      01-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
NQRDDS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I ordered an airfryer for $120-30ish last week. They marked it delivered and my front door camera never showed anyone delivering it. Contacted Amazon and they won't refund or send me another unit and asked me to file a police report. Talk about jumping through hoops.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You guys know that unless it is exclusive to amazon, then you can most likely find it cheaper elsewhere? Unless you want/need that same/next day delivery.
This is true. We have sold on Amazon for a long time and have a love hate relationship with them. You can buy the same exact product on our site for a lot less. We have to pay Amazon a hefty fee for selling on their site, plus we have to deal with the fact that we pretty much have to take anything back or we get dinged by Amazon. So we have to charge a premium when selling on Amazon to cover all that.

The reason you see the price fluctuations is because most sellers use an automated pricing system. Most products, even some of those sold by Amazon, are also sold by other vendors such as myself. Typically whoever has the best overall price is the vendor getting the sale when you click buy now. We call that having the buy box. Now say I have the best price at $100 but I sell out, automatically Amazon switches to the next best priced vendor.

So what most vendors do is use software that basically automatically adjusts the price to compete with other vendors to get the sale. So I would say I'm willing to sell my widget for a range between $70-$100. So if I'm the only vendor selling at $100 and tomorrow some new vendor starts selling the same thing at $90 the software will adjust my pricing down to say $89, then his will go down to $88 etc until one of us reaches our bottom.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQRDDS View Post
I ordered an airfryer for $120-30ish last week. They marked it delivered and my front door camera never showed anyone delivering it. Contacted Amazon and they won't refund or send me another unit and asked me to file a police report. Talk about jumping through hoops.
I'm surprised. We had a guy buy a set of tires, sent signature required, dude signed for them. We even got the signature from UPS showing the guys name. He filed claim saying he never got them and we got it in the ass with no lube.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
This is true. We have sold on Amazon for a long time and have a love hate relationship with them. You can buy the same exact product on our site for a lot less. We have to pay Amazon a hefty fee for selling on their site, plus we have to deal with the fact that we pretty much have to take anything back or we get dinged by Amazon. So we have to charge a premium when selling on Amazon to cover all that.

The reason you see the price fluctuations is because most sellers use an automated pricing system. Most products, even some of those sold by Amazon, are also sold by other vendors such as myself. Typically whoever has the best overall price is the vendor getting the sale when you click buy now. We call that having the buy box. Now say I have the best price at $100 but I sell out, automatically Amazon switches to the next best priced vendor.

So what most vendors do is use software that basically automatically adjusts the price to compete with other vendors to get the sale. So I would say I'm willing to sell my widget for a range between $70-$100. So if I'm the only vendor selling at $100 and tomorrow some new vendor starts selling the same thing at $90 the software will adjust my pricing down to say $89, then his will go down to $88 etc until one of us reaches our bottom.
I get that vendors monitor each other to set their pricing in relation to the market and competition. But pricing shouldn't be adjusting day to day or even over a few hours as I've experienced. It's just plain stupid that we now have to shop as if we're buying stocks.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
But pricing shouldn't be adjusting day to day or even over a few hours as I've experienced.
That's exactly how Amazon, and the sellers selling on Amazon using inventory/re-pricing software, works. That's the way it is, no way around it. Inventory software is constantly tracking stores inventory/pricing, so if a price moves, you can be sure the software is going to adjust for it as quickly as it realizes it(next scan of invent.).

PS; I also sell on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post
Buy it for $329, return it under the other order at $379 if it's worth the $50 hassle to drop off at Kohls.
After I confirmed I wouldn’t be charged a restocking fee I went ahead and set up the return. They said even tho it was opened and used I can do it. Fine by me. I save my son 50 bucks and amazon has to sell this as a refurb. All good.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
NQRDDS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm surprised. We had a guy buy a set of tires, sent signature required, dude signed for them. We even got the signature from UPS showing the guys name. He filed claim saying he never got them and we got it in the ass with no lube.
Now that's interesting, even with his signature. In my case there was no signature required, if I had to sign for everything then I would never get any packages since I usually get home late after delivery times. I just don't understand why it was marked delivered when it clearly never showed up. It has happened before with a different package where it was marked delivered early and showed up the next day. But in this case, I never got it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Amazon Prime is going downhill. I ordered some small parts for my bike on Sunday and they've apparently gone missing right after they left the Amazon facility in Missouri. Amazon says if they don't show up tomorrow, I can request a refund or replacement the next day. I also ordered a laser printer through them and they shipped it USPS instead of the normal UPS shipping. Normally I would have had the shipment held at the local UPS hub, which is a couple miles away. But there was no way to hold the USPS delivery, so I had to leave work today and drive home when I got the delivery notice so the box wouldn't be sitting on my porch all day.

A colleague of mine ordered a Lenovo tablet through Amazon and got it the other day. The box had the Lenovo tablet and a Motorola charging cable that didn't fit. He was asking how the hell could that be? I told him someone returned the tablet and they repackaged it and weren't careful which cable they threw in. I've recently had a Wahoo bike computer (supposedly new) delivered that had everything normally included in the box except the computer itself. I've started using B&H more and more for tech stuff just because their stuff is always new and always shipped reliably.

I've been a Prime Member since they started Prime and an Amazon Rewards card holder for a decade. But I'm beginning to rethink all that.

Just as an aside, I get a kick out of the irony that a guy who put a listening device in 100 million US households got his iPhone hacked. Karma is a bitch.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly how Amazon, and the sellers selling on Amazon using inventory/re-pricing software, works. That's the way it is, no way around it. Inventory software is constantly tracking stores inventory/pricing, so if a price moves, you can be sure the software is going to adjust for it as quickly as it realizes it(next scan of invent.).

PS; I also sell on Amazon.
Regardless, it's a stupid system as it never was this bad a couple of years ago. There was a mention about being able to find the same item cheaper outside of Amazon. Yes, I do shop outside of Amazon and have found it cheaper there. But lately, the same item outside of Amazon is tracking at the same price as the Amazon price. I guess this is the Amazon effect. And the retailer that sells on Amazon that has their own online store is tracking with the same price. So it may be that those of you that sell on Amazon are marking up your price due to the Amazon overhead and selling cheaper on your own store, you all seem to be the exception.

I've actually bought stuff at Target that came out cheaper than Amazon which makes me feel better that I still have some options. How long this will be an option who knows.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #16
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

We buy from amazon 90% of the time. I'm a long time prime member. They've always been good to me with returns and issues, however lately I've been getting the wrong items. Close in description but not the item.

I also drive by an Amazon shipping hub daily and it's common to see random amazon packages on the side or middle of the road. I'm guessing they've fallen out of someone SL delivery truck somehow?
      01-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #17
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
After I confirmed I wouldn’t be charged a restocking fee I went ahead and set up the return. They said even tho it was opened and used I can do it. Fine by me. I save my son 50 bucks and amazon has to sell this as a refurb. All good.
Couldn't you just return the new one that comes in? Seems like it would save you the hassle and then make Amazon whole again as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #18
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Could be the vendor your purchased for via amazon is different than the vendor selling at a lower price now.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #19
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Pretty much why I stopped with Amazon. It used to be a 'deal' and now it's actually the pricier option.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #20
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Couldn't you just return the new one that comes in? Seems like it would save you the hassle and then make Amazon whole again as well.
that would be the easiest route.. however, the serial number from the one i initially bought and opened is clearly marked on the invoice. usually higher end electronics IIRC, when sold have the serial number marked somewhere on the bill of sale. and the item has to match the bill of sale in the event of a return

the even easier route is if they just gave me a damn price adjustment.. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've started using B&H more and more for tech stuff just because their stuff is always new and always shipped reliably.
My last like 3 or 4 tech purchases have been from B&H. They've had a better or equal price to Amazon, they ship fast and I don't have to pay sales tax. Never had to do a return so not sure how they are about that, but everything else has been great.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #22
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NQRDDS View Post
This seems doubtful unless you have had serious issues with Amazon in the past.

I've had 2 or 3 items that said 'delivered' and were not over the last several years and literally every single time, they shipped me another one immediately, no questions asked.
Hawkeye2069.50