Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Ambient lightning not working? Need help

11-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
mattuhtack
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Ambient lightning not working? Need help

Just noticed it yesterday when I was driving with my family to dinner. My brother was sitting in the back driver's seat and noticed the side door and under the seat ambient lighting were out. I also noticed my door's light was out too. For some reason the whole left side of my car is out while the right side is still working (see pics for details). I tried resetting and trouble shooting the settings with no luck. Any idea what it could be? Should I just schedule an appointment with the dealer to solve the issue or is this an easy fix? Please help and thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
mattuhtack
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

This is unusual and I have not seen this before.

I'd say off to the dealer to check it out.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

If rebooting iDrive doesn't bring it back then take a trip to the dealer.
      06-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #5
thegelka
Rep
Drives: G22 BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattuhtack View Post
Just noticed it yesterday when I was driving with my family to dinner. My brother was sitting in the back driver's seat and noticed the side door and under the seat ambient lighting were out. I also noticed my door's light was out too. For some reason the whole left side of my car is out while the right side is still working (see pics for details). I tried resetting and trouble shooting the settings with no luck. Any idea what it could be? Should I just schedule an appointment with the dealer to solve the issue or is this an easy fix? Please help and thanks!
Did you get it fix
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 07:44 PM   #6
Tmak1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattuhtack View Post
How you end up fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:36 AM   #7
jcantanixon
Rep
Drives: F10

I hate to necro old threads, but this exact scenario happened to me today and this is the only thread I could find with search. If the passenger ambient lights work, but the driver's don't, check the footwell light on the passenger side. I had removed the plastic cover to get to the fuse box and unplugged the light. Forgot to plug it in, then noticed most of the ambient lights were out. After checking all of the fuses, I was putting it back together and this time remembered to plug in the footwell light and the rest of them lit right up. They must be in series so if one bulb is unplugged, everything after it doesn't get power.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 06:40 PM   #8
KYL3J0N3S
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i

Understand this thread is old however I am having the exact same issue with my 330i and this is the only post I can find that matches! Any update on how to fix other than returning to BMW?

Any help would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:18 PM   #9
m440i804
Rep
Drives: m440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYL3J0N3S View Post
Understand this thread is old however I am having the exact same issue with my 330i and this is the only post I can find that matches! Any update on how to fix other than returning to BMW?

Did you try doing what’s listed one post above yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:37 PM   #10
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYL3J0N3S View Post

DISCLAIMER: The info down below is based on my region, which is BMW of North America Region!

Assuming your vehicle is still under warranty, I would just take it to BMW and have them fix it. Its a BMW and you pay a lot of money for it and it should live up to your standards!

You can try resetting the iDrive system (press and hold the volume button for 30 seconds) or perhaps disconnecting your car battery and reconnecting it?
NOTE: I'm not a service tech or a mechanic, but just throwing some ideas out there.

Lastly, if there is a software update for your vehicle (iDrive 7 I'm assuming), I'd recommend updating your system to the latest software - all this can be found in the "General Settings" menu --> "Remote Software Upgrade"

I hope that helps - keep us posted!
Appreciate 0