Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals M340i xDrive - Oxide Grey II Individual on Fiona Red

03-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #45
corbinwilliams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC, 650i GC, i7 xDrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
He said "as a daily driver" he feels it's a better car. Many prior M3 owners who now have an M340i have said the same thing. Do you own one? Have you driven one?
I agree! I just met a guy the other day who had a E39 M3 and most recently a F80 M3, he said the M340i is a much better daily, and felt just as fast as his previous M3. Love this Oxide Grey color wow!!
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      03-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #46
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt7 View Post
Quite a few of you asked about how this compares to my previous F80, so I’ll try my best to answer.

I’ll get straight to it. The M3 is, without a doubt, the sharper and more exciting car. The performance, handling, connectedness are on different levels compared to the G20. It also feels much more special and desirable as an object. I loved driving it.

It was my daily driver. I drove it in standstill traffic, over pothole-filled streets, through rain and snow, and sometimes with friends and family in the car. And it’s these situations where the M340i outshines the M3. The 8-speed ZF is much smoother around town than the DCT. The adaptive suspension is much more comfortable and forgiving over rough surfaces than the (also adaptive) setup in the M3. The interior fit and finish, as well as NVH, is a major step up in the G20.

But the biggest reason why I think the M340i is a better car to live with is the engine & drivetrain combination. The smooth power delivery of the B58 combined with the amazing (driftable!) xDrive system means, around town and on challenging backroads, I can use more of the power more of the time. To me, the M3’s biggest weakness is the lack of rear traction, especially in wet conditions. The spiky power delivery and chassis setup make it quite a handful to drive fast on anything other than dry, flat roads. Here in Vancouver where it rains for half the year, this is huge. And don’t even get me started on driving the M3 in the snow (yes, I had winter tires).

In short, the M3 is an incredible car to drive on well-paved, twisty roads on warm and sunny days. The level of performance, grip, and agility simply cannot be matched by the M340i, not even close. But for what I need out of a daily driver, the M340i is the better choice.

I’m looking forward to reevaluating everything when the G80 comes out.

Here’s an old photo of the M3.

Your new car is beautiful. I too had an M3 competition package but I had the Manual. I now have a RWD M340 on non runlet tires.

The M3 was a connected car, but I found it to be hyper and annoying unless I was driving it at 9/10ths, no 10/10's. Then it was fun, sliding and drifting.

My M340 is definitely faster. The way the ZF tranny bangs off lightning fast gear changes and the power comes on so smoothly. The suspension and ride is so much more comfortable without giving up all that much in handling. Not a fan of the new screen for gauges to the heat and AC controls. They appear cheap.

But overall I would say the M340 is a home run. I would never say that it is "not even close" to the outgoing M3. In fact, my take is that it is better than the outgoing M car in many things that are far more important if it is being driven on the road. You know, to work, to school, to dinner, to the grocery store. You get it.

Unless I'm on the track, give me the M340 and I don't feel like I'm giving up anything. In fact, I would take the new car over the last M 10 times out of 10.

The carbon fiber look "M" digital credit card like key is pretty cool too.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #47
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

holy sh*t this is hot
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Wonderful color but since I'm prior Navy I have a soft spot for Nardo Grey. Haze grey and underway!
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      03-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #49
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Would be interesting to see the window sticker
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #50
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I never thought I would like this more than Dravit, but I do.
      03-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #51
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quite a few of you asked about how this compares to my previous F80, so I'll try my best to answer.

I'll get straight to it. The M3 is, without a doubt, the sharper and more exciting car. The performance, handling, connectedness are on different levels compared to the G20. It also feels much more special and desirable as an object. I loved driving it.

It was my daily driver. I drove it in standstill traffic, over pothole-filled streets, through rain and snow, and sometimes with friends and family in the car. And it's these situations where the M340i outshines the M3. The 8-speed ZF is much smoother around town than the DCT. The adaptive suspension is much more comfortable and forgiving over rough surfaces than the (also adaptive) setup in the M3. The interior fit and finish, as well as NVH, is a major step up in the G20.

But the biggest reason why I think the M340i is a better car to live with is the engine & drivetrain combination. The smooth power delivery of the B58 combined with the amazing (driftable!) xDrive system means, around town and on challenging backroads, I can use more of the power more of the time. To me, the M3's biggest weakness is the lack of rear traction, especially in wet conditions. The spiky power delivery and chassis setup make it quite a handful to drive fast on anything other than dry, flat roads. Here in Vancouver where it rains for half the year, this is huge. And don't even get me started on driving the M3 in the snow (yes, I had winter tires).

In short, the M3 is an incredible car to drive on well-paved, twisty roads on warm and sunny days. The level of performance, grip, and agility simply cannot be matched by the M340i, not even close. But for what I need out of a daily driver, the M340i is the better choice.

I'm looking forward to reevaluating everything when the G80 comes out.

Here's an old photo of the M3.

Quote:
Quite a few of you asked about how this compares to my previous F80, so I'll try my best to answer.

I'll get straight to it. The M3 is, without a doubt, the sharper and more exciting car. The performance, handling, connectedness are on different levels compared to the G20. It also feels much more special and desirable as an object. I loved driving it.

It was my daily driver. I drove it in standstill traffic, over pothole-filled streets, through rain and snow, and sometimes with friends and family in the car. And it's these situations where the M340i outshines the M3. The 8-speed ZF is much smoother around town than the DCT. The adaptive suspension is much more comfortable and forgiving over rough surfaces than the (also adaptive) setup in the M3. The interior fit and finish, as well as NVH, is a major step up in the G20.

But the biggest reason why I think the M340i is a better car to live with is the engine & drivetrain combination. The smooth power delivery of the B58 combined with the amazing (driftable!) xDrive system means, around town and on challenging backroads, I can use more of the power more of the time. To me, the M3's biggest weakness is the lack of rear traction, especially in wet conditions. The spiky power delivery and chassis setup make it quite a handful to drive fast on anything other than dry, flat roads. Here in Vancouver where it rains for half the year, this is huge. And don't even get me started on driving the M3 in the snow (yes, I had winter tires).

I'm looking forward to reevaluating everything when the G80 comes out.

Here's an old photo of the M3.

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/40sv29f0a2...1920.jpg?raw=1[/IMG]
I drive an F80 and I agree.

Absolutely love my F80 but no denying you get more value in the M340!

What makes no sense to me is when people lower and tune the M340.

Congratulations OP car is boss!!!
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #52
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
Absolutely gorgeous combination! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #53
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesales305 View Post
Coming from an m3 this id already a better car????
🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️ umm in what way??? To daily drive?? To haul ur kids around?? I hope u dont mean the driving experience...
I appreciate how u love ur car as all of us feel "touched" by our cars..
nice car.. nice color combo...
But to say u like it better than an m3 idc what chassis /year.. is a longggg stretch
Enjoy the car!! Its nice!! Space grey all the way !!!!
Why do you think the M3 is the end all be all? Because it is expensive and not everyone can have one? That is silly. M3's are great cars but they are far from perfect. I won't repeat what I have written in other posts.

What I will tell you is the M340 answers a LOT of requests that M drivers have hinted at in these and other BMW's forums.

It handles like an M3 but is more comfortable. It is definitely faster than the last M3. It is smoother, sleeker, quieter, all around much more refined. It is less "boy racer".

Go drive one for an hour or two. The M3 has a fabled reputation. After driving three of them every day for a combined seven years I will let you in on a little secret. It's a CAR.
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #54
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Quote:
🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️ umm in what way??? To daily drive?? To haul ur kids around?? I hope u dont mean the driving experience...
But to say u like it better than an m3 idc what chassis /year.. is a longggg stretch
Why do you think the M3 is the end all be all? Because it is expensive and not everyone can have one? That is silly. M3's are great cars but they are far from perfect. I won't repeat what I have written in other posts.

What I will tell you is the M340 answers a LOT of requests that M drivers have hinted at in these and other BMW's forums.

It handles like an M3 but is more comfortable. It is definitely faster than the last M3. It is smoother, sleeker, quieter, all around much more refined. It is less "boy racer".

Go drive one for an hour or two. The M3 has a fabled reputation. After driving three of them every day for a combined seven years I will let you in on a little secret. It's a CAR.
Quote:
Quote:

Every car serves a purpose and some people drive BMW's as a status. Insert my buddy from college. He loves telling me he's had 3 BMWs. My F80 is my first and only.

My buddy now drives a Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0 Sport and says it's as good as his prior BMW's.

You can be a fan of a car but still not really get what their all about.

I've had an M340 as a loaner.

It does not handle better, nor as good or as precise as an e46, e92 or F80 M3.

Can you push an M340; sure along with many other cars but it's not gonna do it effortlessly like an M3.

OP's original post has this buttoned down.

For 3/4's of what the M3 does the M340 can do the same and with more comfort.

For the last 25% thats where the M3 shines.

M340 has way more value. The M3 is for the few over the top enthusiasts. That be me!
Appreciate 2
projekt7249.00
mtpope3.00
      03-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #55
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

Quote:
Quote:

If its a car.... why everyone riding the gravy train ??
I have a 330 bnib very close to me.. wich i drive and hate everytime i sit in the thing.. if your 340 is a 330 with a bigger engine..thennnnn i hate it as well
Cant shit on ur parade totally as i havnt driven the 340 ..
but come on.. can i speculate bmw did this year what they do every year .. same car one small block one big block... every series so on and so forth..
soooo yea 330... loaner car.. 340.. fast loaner car... tis what it tis.
      04-01-2020, 12:53 AM   #56
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Looks good!!

Anyone know if we're able to get that interior color in the US?
      04-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #57
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewted View Post
I'm really trying to be patient waiting on the next Gen M4, but damn, pics like these are making it hard to wait!
I love the new M340 but wait Rewted. It will be worth it. You know what you really want and the G82 is going to be an amazing German hot rod. I'm 61 and Currently drive an M3CS. Do I need it? Not really but it's not my daily and damn what a rare , unique, and good looking performance sports sedan. My next dream car (at 65) most likely will be an M8. At 70 I will start thinking about cars like the M340 x drive. But with a tune.
Appreciate 3
seccsc239.00
2011ninja3319.50
      04-01-2020, 11:57 PM   #58
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
��*♂️��*♂️��*♂️��*♂️ umm in what way??? To daily drive?? To haul ur kids around?? I hope u dont mean the driving experience...
He said "as a daily driver" he feels it's a better car. Many prior M3 owners who now have an M340i have said the same thing. Do you own one? Have you driven one?
Definitely a better DD. M4 was too twitchy, even in comfort... only way to truly work enjoy is on a track or daily autobahn runs

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #59
projekt7
hoonigan
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP

Fitted AC Schnitzer springs yesterday.

20mm lowering front and rear, which is exactly what I was looking for to reduce the unsightly wheel gap but retain as much suspension travel as possible.

Ride and handling balance is superb for road use. A touch firmer (the girlfriend says the change is unnoticeable), but with much less body roll. This car should have came this way from the factory.

Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
seccsc239.00
ruczko97.00
      04-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #60
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Looks so good! I'm in Canada as well...where did you get them?
      05-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #61
LC_992
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 LCI

Perfect..
      07-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #62
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Great color combo!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #63
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Such a great and unusual colour. I was thinking about the colour but in the end played safe with Tanzanite. How do the Cerium grey parts go with it? I think the slightly bronze colour of Cerium would work well (whereas the bronze of Cerium would not go very well with Mineral Grey).
Appreciate 0