Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Jeep Grand Cherokee vs X5, X3

05-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
So I never thought I would say this, but here it is...The 2017 Grand Cherokee is actually pretty impressive as an all around SUV, even when compared to the X3, X5.
I had a 2017 JGC Limited with a sticker of 43k for a week, and compared to the 2016 X5, and 2014 X3's I have driven, I think it is at least as good in the following area:

1. Ride/Confort(soft touch dash and high quality leather seats)
2.Technology/Info system
3. Looks/aesthetics of the outside of the SUV
Needless to say, the GGC beats the BMW SUV's as far as off road abilities, and on price(priced a 2017 X5- xdrive 35i, and it came to $67,045)

Now that being said, I am a BMW fan all the way, it was just interesting to see how the competition stacks up. The X3, and X5 are obviously more refined, and have more of a luxury touch, but even in this area, the JGC isn't too far behind.

Anyone else here own or been able to have an extended drive of the new Grand Cherokee?

Hold out for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1356078

05-31-2017, 10:00 PM   #24
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Funny when you see BMW owners talk about reliability...look at the stuff that goes wrong with an N54 in <100,000 miles - HPFP, turbos, fuel injectors, water pump & thermostat housing, valve cover gasket (and/or cracked cover), oil filter housing gasket, rear main seal, oil pan, etc.

With that said, I prefer GM over FCA for reliability...the new Cadillac XT5 is nice
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00
      05-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
styler69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

i received a new X3 today as a loaner at BMW and can safely say my 2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited was/is a vastly super vehicle. the X3 has tons of body roll and oversteer. very unimpressed.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #26
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I think besides the BMW logo plastered all over the cars, they have a lot to make up for when it comes for the price difference.

Personally, I can't see why somebody would pay $70k for a X5. I don't see any justification for the extra $25k. Is it b/c the service centers are nicer?
Appreciate 4
GottWhat196.00
swanson733.00
scostu1619.50
Nkc1600.50
      06-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #27
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
I think besides the BMW logo plastered all over the cars, they have a lot to make up for when it comes for the price difference.

Personally, I can't see why somebody would pay $70k for a X5. I don't see any justification for the extra $25k. Is it b/c the service centers are nicer?
Because, badge whores
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
Nkc1600.50
      06-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #28
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

I think its a combo of a more "prestigious" brands, and the nicer service centers and perceived quality.

My dad has a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and several of my friends have Jeeps, and they all say the dealer service centers leave a lot to be desired. Loaner cars and nice waiting areas are not even in the question, its "we will give you a call when its finished up, have a nice day" old school service.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #29
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I grew up in the metro Detroit area very close to Chrysler and the Big 3 overall. I know very well how garbage these companies are.

And where did you get 2012 from? It was released mid-2010.
Correct, started MY 2011...still not 8 years though.

I grew up there to and we've been part of the auto industry for over half a century. All the companies are comprised of people...some good and some bad. All of the companies focus on the bottom line, money. I've had exponentially more problems with every BMW I have owned vs every "Chrysler" product I have owned. Point is, claiming a win for BMW based on quality is so misguided.

Both companies have had their issues stepping up when quality problems happen, but believe it or not, when push comes to shove, Chrysler/FCA has stepped up more than BMW. I guess BMW is to proud too admit their mistakes? For the price premium, BMW should be far better in terms of quality and service and they simply are not.

So, you buy what you like more. But from a value proposition standpoint, the GCs give you a better bang for your MSRP buck.
Appreciate 1
GottWhat196.00
      06-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #30
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
well to be fair, both the bimmers and the JCP have received minor facelifts in the last few years, but yes, the basic platform is older.

In my OPINION, the Jeep GC offers an overall better value for the money spend with regards to an SUV. If we look at the pros and cons, the jeep is better off road, and the BMW has a slightly more refined interior, so those two cancel each other out.

Im curious, aside from the Jeep name not having the "Status" BMW has, what reasons would you not put a JCP in the same league as a x3 or x5?

American cars will always be a better value if you look at cars as appliances serving a function. If value was the only measure, higher-end cars would go unsold.

Regarding your last question: Because it a f%$kin Chrysler, that's why.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #31
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
American cars will always be a better value if you look at cars as appliances serving a function. If value was the only measure, higher-end cars would go unsold.

Regarding your last question: Because it a f%$kin Chrysler, that's why.
We get it, you are a badge whore
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #32
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottWhat View Post
We get it, you are a badge whore

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I've got two cars in the garage. A BMW and a Ford Explorer. I love the Explorer. Great to drive and totally trouble free.

Had a Chrysler and hated it. Always breaking down. Drove like crap. I've had friends with Chrysler products over the years. Always complaining about breaking down. Just last month my brother-in-law was taking his Grand Cherokee Hemi blah blah blah from Minnesota to Arizona and sure enough, it broke down 1/2 way; catastrophic engine failure.

I know other cars break down too. I've been very lucky. I've about a 1/2 million miles on various BMWs and a couple of hundred on Explorers. Zero problems. We all say things and buy things based on our experiences. Those are mine. Yes, I'm probably also a badge whore.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #33
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I've got two cars in the garage. A BMW and a Ford Explorer. I love the Explorer. Great to drive and totally trouble free.

Had a Chrysler and hated it. Always breaking down. Drove like crap. I've had friends with Chrysler products over the years. Always complaining about breaking down. Just last month my brother-in-law was taking his Grand Cherokee Hemi blah blah blah from Minnesota to Arizona and sure enough, it broke down 1/2 way; catastrophic engine failure.

I know other cars break down too. I've been very lucky. I've about a 1/2 million miles on various BMWs and a couple of hundred on Explorers. Zero problems. We all say things and buy things based on our experiences. Those are mine. Yes, I'm probably also a badge whore.
I have had something like 22 cars and my 335i has had more repairs in the first 100,000 miles than any of the others combined. My wife's current and last vehicles have both been FCA - a 2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD and now a Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4. The 300S was perfect and the only thing to go on the Ram has been a fuel pressure sensor resulting in a check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:53 AM   #34
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have had something like 22 cars and my 335i has had more repairs in the first 100,000 miles than any of the others combined. My wife's current and last vehicles have both been FCA - a 2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD and now a Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4. The 300S was perfect and the only thing to go on the Ram has been a fuel pressure sensor resulting in a check engine light.

Well, there you go. Glad you've had luck with them. I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #35
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
My father has a 2013 GC Trailhawk with the 5.7L Hemi. Has a little over 90k miles on it, and he bought it new. It needed a water pump at about 85k miles, which seems common among the 5.7, but it was very easy/cheap to replace. He beats the snot out of it too. Tows a dump trailer every other weekend that weighs 2500lbs empty. It has the quadra-lift air suspension which makes a huge difference in ride quality over the standard suspension option. He was T-boned in the driver's door by a Tacoma about a year ago at an intersection, and felt very safe. Jeep was repaired and has been fine since.

Jeeps and BMWs are similar maintenance wise. Some go a long way with very little care, others are disasters. My family has owned Grand Cherokees for years. They are similar to BMWs in that the dealers are pretty useless, and DIYing your own maintenance can save a lot of headache.

The rule with Chryslers is to never buy a first year redesign. Wait a few model years after the new design and it is usually fine. My GF's parents have a 2011 GC and it has the same mileage my dad's does and it has had a few strange problems. Jeeps in general though are much cheaper to fix than German cars. My dad owned a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited, then a 2009 Benz GL450. The GL450 had constant electrical issues. His current 2013 Grand Cherokee has been flawless in comparison.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
GottWhat196.00
Nkc1600.50
      06-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #36
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My father has a 2013 GC Trailhawk with the 5.7L Hemi. Has a little over 90k miles on it, and he bought it new. It needed a water pump at about 85k miles, which seems common among the 5.7, but it was very easy/cheap to replace. He beats the snot out of it too. Tows a dump trailer every other weekend that weighs 2500lbs empty. It has the quadra-lift air suspension which makes a huge difference in ride quality over the standard suspension option. He was T-boned in the driver's door by a Tacoma about a year ago at an intersection, and felt very safe. Jeep was repaired and has been fine since.

Jeeps and BMWs are similar maintenance wise. Some go a long way with very little care, others are disasters. My family has owned Grand Cherokees for years. They are similar to BMWs in that the dealers are pretty useless, and DIYing your own maintenance can save a lot of headache.

The rule with Chryslers is to never buy a first year redesign. Wait a few model years after the new design and it is usually fine. My GF's parents have a 2011 GC and it has the same mileage my dad's does and it has had a few strange problems. Jeeps in general though are much cheaper to fix than German cars. My dad owned a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited, then a 2009 Benz GL450. The GL450 had constant electrical issues. His current 2013 Grand Cherokee has been flawless in comparison.
The Hemi's I believe were more reliable than the Pentastars.....but the 2013's were much more reliable that 2011s....and the 2014 refreshes had problems. My water pump went at 30000 miles, replaced under warranty.

The only other "common" issues was the TIPM recall.
      06-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #37
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Funny when you see BMW owners talk about reliability...look at the stuff that goes wrong with an N54 in <100,000 miles - HPFP, turbos, fuel injectors, water pump & thermostat housing, valve cover gasket (and/or cracked cover), oil filter housing gasket, rear main seal, oil pan, etc.

With that said, I prefer GM over FCA for reliability...the new Cadillac XT5 is nice
Exactly. My 135i left me completely stranded with only 6k on the odometer. It saw the dealer more than a dozen times in my 3 years with it. My JGC Overland Hemi has only had two issues in 3.5yrs and 30k miles, both covered under warranty. Absolutely no complaints here.

I'd love to see someone total up the repair costs of a 100k X5 vs a 100k JGC.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
GottWhat196.00