Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals First G20 3 Series Walkaround - by Autogefühl

10-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Agree. The LCI M-treatmented F30s do look nice finally. The early F30 looked like sad catfishes especially the weaksauce 320i.

All the G20 has to do is not drive like an F30 and it'll be a hit. But dropping the manual gearbox earns a yellow card from me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #24
Speed-NYC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440ix Gran Coupé

Garage List
Nice ass, but a face only a mother could love.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #25
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Thumbs down WEAK Exterior Design Elements

Regarding the Alpine White 3 Series Sport (G20)

WEAK Exterior Design Elements:
Front & Rear Bumpers
T-Shaped Air Intakes w/Fog Lights
Protruding Door Handles w/oval cut-outs
Butterfly Kidney Grill
Front wheel arch "sharp crease"

*Cant stand the closed Active Kidney Grille concept!!!
Theses engines need air cooling at all times, I don't care what anyone says!

Where is Chris Bangle when you need him?

The Sport Wheels are decent.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #26
g20jprad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

THUMBS UP: M-Sport face, laser headlights, contrast stitching, interior door handles, ambient lighting, touchscreen, wireless charging.

THUMBS DOWN: Car rear, no analog dials option on instruments display, Lexus tail lights, bulky seats, cheap-looking fog lights on Sports version (like they were an afterthought), outside rounded door handles.

Last edited by g20jprad; 10-02-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #27
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Angry New BMW 3 Series to be made in Mexico?!

New BMW 3 Series to be made in Mexico 🇲🇽 for the North American market? Hell NO!!!

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #28
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

1. it's so sad that there's no distinctive character in each class (3, 5 , 7 series), it looks more like a small, medium large size of the same car. But we can't really blame BMW for this, this is how auto industry's been going into, from Audi, MB to even Lexus and Acura, sharing platform + mechanicals to save cost.

2. I always thought that E90's double hump (idrive screen) was actually more useful and comfortable to my eyes when driving daily when compared to F30's ipad installment. Funny how BMW is going back to the "double hump" design.

3. It's incredible how cars just continue to get bigger and bigger despite its weight loss. I honestly think E46 and E90 sedans were the perfect, 4/5 passenger sport sedan size that is good enough to carry family and friends but can totally throw it in track for dynamic driving.

4. BMWs gotta start hiring new designers for wheels...come on guys, seriously..

After all, when comparing the segment rivals, i think this new 3 series looks BEST, amazing design in and out. Oh, and thank GOD it has real exhaust tips...

Some people argue about BMW's boring interior design. Well, welcome to BMW world. If you look carefully, BMW keeps a very similar architecture of interior design for yrs and many generations. Even the little switch/button placement + design, if you compare to E46, E90 and F30, they are very similar, which makes the car more classy over the yrs rather than changing in and out completely every yr like GM does.
      10-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #29
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I like the side profile, everything else is meh.
Let's se the m3/4 design. As with f3x generation, the M implementation really took that design to a new level.
However, overall I see less and less of BMW character in their cars. They are becoming looking more like competitors and then I am not sure how are they better... f3x and f8x both have a lot of weaknesses vs competition like power sound tech etc....
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #30
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep

In fairness to BMW, after seeing the comparison pics between the F30 and G20, I could see the 'reasonable' evolution in design. I guess all the usual suspects (merc, audi, lexus) and even the others, are converging design wise. Maybe its not entirely laziness on BMWs part.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Design-wise, the G20 is mostly a non-offensive design.
I'd fathom to guess that this design won't take long to grow on most dissenters.
The configurator images didn't do it justice. And while the official photographs are better, I'm sure in real life on the road, it'll look even better.

The tail lights and some of the shapes and contours are probably the more radical changes we see, but the design is overall quite evolutionary and is what was expected given the "3-D tail light" design we've already seen on the X4 and the front end of the G30 5er.
The other departures are simply new interpretations of older BMW design language (i.e., new Hofmeister Kink, headlight notch a la E46).
Although I will miss the "closed" and "circular" Corona Ring design the new headlight designs are good looking.
While they lose the "classic" touch of old but, when combined with the twin Kidney grilles, are progressive looking and still demand presence on the road.
Final note on the exterior, the hood line that meets the twin Kidney grilles is a welcomed improvement.

The interior is a big step-up in quality and can finally rival that of the C-Class and A4 in terms of quality-feel while still keeping the basic layout of what we are familiar with BMW.
The climate controls and headlight controls are probably the biggest departures here along with the gauge cluster.

I appreciate the little details such as the "self-leveling" wheel center caps a la Rolls Royce.

Alas, the 3 Series has grown in size yet again...this was expected, as it has grown in size with each generation.
The F30 was already comparable in size to the 5 Series of just a few generations ago.
The E90 by today's standards, is probably the last 3 Series that one can define as truly being "compact", and even then, there were complaints about its size upon its debut.

And yes, the lack of a manual transmission for higher-spec'd engines and the US Market.
This is indeed, sad news, but I'm hoping the G80 M3 will still give three-pedal connoisseurs a chance, but the 8AT is quite responsive in its defense.

We can only hope that the G20 will shine in the other redeeming qualities like steering feel, suspension, and overall driving dynamics.

If BMW can get that right, then I'm certain this 3 Series will be quite the winner and I personally think it's a decent looking car (especially in that blue) considering this is just the unveiling.

Excited for the road tests to come and the coming of the G80.
Is it confirmed that there'll be a manual 320i in the US?
That'll be tempting offer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #32
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydert View Post
Is it confirmed that there'll be a manual 320i in the US?
That'll be tempting offer.
No, I'm not aware of any G20 with a manual being offered in the US.

There is however, at least one model (320d) that will be offered with a manual in Europe.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #33
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
No, I'm not aware of any G20 with a manual being offered in the US.

There is however, at least one model (320d) that will be offered with a manual in Europe.
Thanks. No rush to let go of my 320 sports pkg then.
Will wait to see what they offer down the line.

In the clip, I thought the engine sounded quite good for a 330i with particulate filter? Don't know if I'm yet sold on burbles in non-M models though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #34
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Regarding the Alpine White 3 Series Sport (G20)

WEAK Exterior Design Elements:
Front & Rear Bumpers
T-Shaped Air Intakes w/Fog Lights
Protruding Door Handles w/oval cut-outs
Butterfly Kidney Grill
Front wheel arch "sharp crease"

*Cant stand the closed Active Kidney Grille concept!!!
Theses engines need air cooling at all times, I don't care what anyone says!

Where is Chris Bangle when you need him?

The Sport Wheels are decent.
Chris Bangle cars are ugly. Z4 was the only nice one and it is debatable if he designed that one.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #35
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

12:30. So Dual Zone sync is back.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #36
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Video - Autogefühl full look through

Great full overview of details here. Sorry if repost, scrolled around and didn't see it.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #37
H2O
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5D, e46 330xi, 340xi

Garage List
2017 340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Honnestly the F30 LCI drives so much better than the first cars. BMW shouldn't sell the car without adaptive dampers either...really transforms the car. But yeah, cars drive more and more alike now.
I've test driven quite a few LCI 340i with track handling package, regular M Sport, with M Adaptive, etc. The differences are very subtle. I've never driven a 2012-2013 and I currently own a 2014. I was pretty close to buying a 2018 340i M Sport with THP and it just wasn't enough of a difference to justify. The adaptive suspension on the F30 is very very basic. It's nothing like a system like MagneRide.

The steering sucks on all F30s. Luckily I've never driven a 2012 which I've heard were pretty bad, but weight is not an issue. The Sport setting on my 2014 is plenty heavy as were all the LCI cars I've driven. Other aspects of the steering just don't have that classic BMW feel.

Growing up, you could tell instantly that you were driving a German car, and particularly a BMW by how the steering felt. That feeling is completely gone now.
I own both e46 330xi and f30 lci 340xi with all the M goodies and often drive them back to back. Both have similar non run-flat tire setup. F30 steering in sport or sport+ feels absolutely the same as e46. Comfort mode feels terrible at low speed.
Appreciate 0