Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G20 Heated Steering wheel

01-31-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
3george
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2021 F40 128ti

G20 Heated Steering wheel

I know it can be manually turned on and off via the button on the steering wheel but is there any way to have this come on automatically when say temp is low etc.

I'm pretty sure I saw this option in an iDrive menu somewhere but for the life of me can't find it now ?

Any idea anyone.

Thanks

3g
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3george View Post
I know it can be manually turned on and off via the button on the steering wheel but is there any way to have this come on automatically when say temp is low etc.

I'm pretty sure I saw this option in an iDrive menu somewhere but for the life of me can't find it now ?

Any idea anyone.

Thanks

3g
It's not in the iDrive menu but it seems to follow the settings for heating the seats. I have it set for my seat heaters to turn on when the temperature drops below 42 degrees F. Whenever they automatically turn on, so does the steering wheel heater.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:

Any idea anyone.

Thanks

3g
It's not in the iDrive menu but it seems to follow the settings for heating the seats. I have it set for my seat heaters to turn on when the temperature drops below 42 degrees F. Whenever they automatically turn on, so does the steering wheel heater.
I have the seats set to auto on when below 10 degrees but the steering wheel heating doesn't come on.

May be different from U.K. to US but I believe it can be coded.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So just been reading and found the personal assistant in the menu that can apparently automate things and set rules such as when the heated steering wheel comes on.

Problem is I don't have the "automate habits" menu setting. Anyone else have this?
Attached Images

BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
I have the seats set to auto on when below 10 degrees but the steering wheel heating doesn't come on.

Me too for a UK 330i...the steering heating has to be switched on manually.

If there is a way of automating it would be very cool.

Very warm, actually!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Quote:

Me too for a UK 330i...the steering heating has to be switched on manually.

If there is a way of automating it would be very cool.

Very warm, actually!!
Either my post above or coding as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
Dave330d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Quote:
So just been reading and found the personal assistant in the menu that can apparently automate things and set rules such as when the heated steering wheel comes on.

Problem is I don't have the "automate habits" menu setting. Anyone else have this?
Same in mine, automatic habits isn’t listed
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

In the UK, it can only be done via coding as far as I know. Don't understand why BMW decided to hide this feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

It doesn’t turn on automatically in my american G20 either. There is no setting in the iDrive either.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #10
3george
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2021 F40 128ti

by way of follow-up - which ECU controls this through coding and what's the specific item - anyone know ?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Strangely, I never had this option then I think it activated after the latest OTA update. It was working a treat but now I've noticed the last few times in the car under the set temperature the seats have activated but the steering wheel doesn't. Can't for the life of me find the option that I set in the iDrive menu and I definitely found it previously. Checked through the personal Assistant app where I have the rule for Auto Windows now, checked all the Climate settings but can't find it at all, Anyone else noticed this?
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

Quote:
by way of follow-up - which ECU controls this through coding and what's the specific item - anyone know ?
I enabled this with Bimmercode using the below instructions. Needed enabling in both Headunit and also Body Domain Controller.

Enable Auto Steering Wheel heat option in I drive
Expert mode
Headunit - MGU
3000 HMI SPEECH > AKT_Auto_Lenkradheizung > aktiv

then also -

Enable Auto Steering Wheel heat
Body Domain Controller - BDC
3142 PfLinLRE > LHZ_ CCM_IKF > aktiv
3450 Others 1 > IKF_ENABLE: ikf_alle_sitze
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Strangely, I never had this option then I think it activated after the latest OTA update. It was working a treat but now I've noticed the last few times in the car under the set temperature the seats have activated but the steering wheel doesn't. Can't for the life of me find the option that I set in the iDrive menu and I definitely found it previously. Checked through the personal Assistant app where I have the rule for Auto Windows now, checked all the Climate settings but can't find it at all, Anyone else noticed this?
I just checked and its there :
Just below the seat heating option.
Attached Images

Last edited by hamera; 12-11-2020 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
May be it's the new software update. Was it there before?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:37 AM   #15
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
May be it's the new software update. Was it there before?
Okidoki, was only getting the seat heating options on that page and I'm not sure why I didn't try this before, but did an iDrive reset and then a few seconds after the reboot the heated steering wheel option appeared again!!
Attached Images

M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0