Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions A question about the rear wiper on the Touring

12-05-2023, 08:45 AM   #1
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring LCI

A question about the rear wiper on the Touring

I took delivery of an M340 Touring a couple of weeks ago and have a question about the rear window wiper. Or rather, the arm holding the wiper blade.

According to the manual, in order to replace the wiper blade, the first step is to lift the arm up from the rear window 90 degrees. It's not that the wiper blade needs to be replaced already, more how I would like being able to lift the arm to get rid of snow and ice from the wiper blade.

However, when I try to lift the arm, I feel quite an amount of resistance. To a degree where I don't feel comfortable applying any more force. Being scared I will brake something.

I've been trying to see if there's any latch or lock of some kind I need to press before raising the wiper arm but haven't found any.

For other Touring owners in here, what is your experience with the rear wiper arm?

I could of course go back to the dealership where I bought the car from and ask them for help but feels a bit stupid having to go there for this kind of thing.

Last edited by WebMaximus; 12-05-2023 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Some corrections
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #2
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

This has been discussed here: http://https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965299 - the LCI has a pin that blocks the rear wiper arm from being lifted. You need to pull on cap and release that pin in order to lift the arm perpendicular to the window.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #3
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
This has been discussed here: http://https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965299 - the LCI has a pin that blocks the rear wiper arm from being lifted. You need to pull on cap and release that pin in order to lift the arm perpendicular to the window.
Ah, brilliant. Many thanks and good thing I didn't apply more force before learning about this! Now I can only hope I didn't already make the rear wiper less effective after my attempts lifting the arm.

This should be clearly explained in the documentation for the car. Right now, nothing of this is explained where it only tells you to lift the arm. Not a word from what I've seen telling you to remove any pins. Which means if you would follow that instruction, you would end up braking things...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:52 AM   #4
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

WebMaximus - did you manage to replace your wiper blade?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 04:43 AM   #5
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

No need at this point since the car is only a few weeks old. I discovered this issue lifting the arm when I was planning to get rid of some ice and snow.

Will give it another try when it's a bit warmer.
Appreciate 0