Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Battery indicator on instrument cluster

01-01-2021, 04:14 AM   #1
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Battery indicator on instrument cluster

Seasonal felicitations to all.

Having learned a lot about the charging system on my 330i during lockdown I have one final question.

On the dash panel there is a small blue image of a battery that sometimes has a line through it.

Can anyone tell me what this indicates in both states please?

Why I thought it would be covered in the owner's manual is beyond me
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 05:24 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Power Rating
Display indicates the performance POWER as a percentage of its total power. In the CHARGE range, the energy recovery is displayed when coasting or decelerating.

During energy recovery, the kinetic energy of the vehicle is converted into electric energy during coasting. The vehicle battery is partially charged and the fuel consumption can be reduced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Seaford1169.50
      01-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Power Rating
Display indicates the performance POWER as a percentage of its total power. In the CHARGE range, the energy recovery is displayed when coasting or decelerating.

During energy recovery, the kinetic energy of the vehicle is converted into electric energy during coasting. The vehicle battery is partially charged and the fuel consumption can be reduced.
Thanks for the response. To be honest I don't understand it all

My basic understanding isn't that the battery only charges when the car is decelerating (unless the battery is really low?) Is it as simple as that when the battery battery sign is crossed through it isn't charging?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Thanks for the response. To be honest I don't understand it all

My basic understanding isn't that the battery only charges when the car is decelerating (unless the battery is really low?) Is it as simple as that when the battery battery sign is crossed through it isn't charging?
I have not seen a line through the battery but a guess is it could mean is that it is full and no charging is needed.

The vehicle uses the Brake Energy Regeneration system so (unless the battery is severely low) the alternator is decoupled from the engine during normal (acceleration, throttle use) operation and the battery is not being charged. When coasting, decelerating or braking the the alternator is coupled and the battery charged. You will see the blue line going towards the battery when this is occurring. There is a BC panel that shows it along with the MPG for the selected trip data bucket.
Attached Images

Seaford1169.50
      12-07-2023, 02:51 AM   #5
tkaboly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xdrive35i

how i can i tell if i need to replace the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Power Rating

QUESTION: Can someone give a me a simple answer to a simple question? How can i tell if i need a new battery for 2014 X5 xdrive35i F15 ? ????
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
tkaboly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xdrive35i

How can i tell from the display panel if i need a new battery 2014 X5 xdrive35i F15

QUESTION: Can someone give a me a simple answer to a simple question? How can i tell by looking at display panel in car cabin, i need a new battery for 2014 X5 xdrive35i F15 ? ???? There should be a battery symbol light up like all normall cars. Mine has a the indicators showing whats charging and whats not, just as this email string was discussed...very confusing.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #7
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaboly View Post
QUESTION: Can someone give a me a simple answer to a simple question? How can i tell by looking at display panel in car cabin, i need a new battery for 2014 X5 xdrive35i F15 ? ???? There should be a battery symbol light up like all normall cars. Mine has a the indicators showing whats charging and whats not, just as this email string was discussed...very confusing.
Here's a simple answer:
  1. Don't hijack a thread,
  2. Ask in the appropriate forum -> Here's a link: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=507
Appreciate 0