Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Euro Spec M340i vs M4 vs M550i Drag Race

05-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #155
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Here we go again...
      05-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #156
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Here we go again...
The guy missed the most important "competitor". The M2
      05-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #157
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Interesting music choice

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #158
alexm3forty
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Ok guys! I swore i would not get in, but this is getting out of hand

So, i am simply stating my personal oppinion here and maybe that will help calm some of the spirits.

As a previous owner of an wonderfully equipped 430 gc bought brand new in 2018, i had no intention of changing my car. But my dealer called me offering a huge discount on the new 3 series. I have bought over the last 5 years, exactly 7 high-end brand new bmw's so i benefit from a certain treatment. Buy back on my 430 was also good.

Now, things i have to take into account when buying a car:

1. I am single and live single, so more than one car is simply waste of money. Also, the car must be as versatile as possible.

2. I live in the center of a big and crowded city.

3. My work involves moving in the coty, in medium to high traffic for about 120 kms daily.

4. The city i live in has shitty roads. And i do mean real crap, full of potholes.

5. I am incredibly careful with all my belongings and every single pothole crushes my heart.

6. The garage where i park my car has a really steep angle of descent.

Taking all this in account, i have honestly thought about getting the outgoing the M3 C, but the M340i touched every single base that i stated above much closer than the M's.

Absolutely no doubt the M's do every single thing better on a track, because that is where they were designed to shine.

Sadly, as much as i would love to live my life there, i do not. Maximum i can get to a track is 2-3 sessions / year and a great road during the holiday. The rest of 340+ days i will be driving between stoplights.

Also the technology. Yes i am a tech whore. I do appreciate every single gizmo i find on the car. And the G is mileas ahead of the F.

Regarding the car's performance. As a M340i owner, i do have the wish of actually owning a true M car but my life would not justify it, so i will hang on to every comparison being close to the M. So the fact that between light it will and is able to smoke an M2/M3/M4 and M550i (pay attention here as it will be better that the first gen of 460hp but NOT better than the 2019 one with 500hp), makes me love it even more.

I see the car exactly how it is: a really balanced saloon and in my honest oppinion, the best on the market right now.

I also love its duality, and that is something you do not have in the M3/4. I can drive the car feeling as chill as ray charles and really comfy, but when i put it in sport plus, it turns in the chernobyl reactor 3. I love that and have not driven yet a car that can be so different.

I have driven some monsters during my life and spent a fair amount of time on the track. Given i am not a fan of larger cars than 3/4 series, my lerfect garage would also involve, aside from the M340i, an M2 Comp and a Jag E Type. That is all. But your existence must justify having the car you drive. I am also not a fan of owning a car and driving it once a week. As an investment, yes. But i prefer changing the car every two years or wven yearly but actually enjoy it daily.
2013 X1 1.8d xDrive "E84"
2008 335xi "E92"
Appreciate 3
      05-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #159
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm3forty View Post

So, i am simply stating my personal oppinion here and maybe that will help calm some of the spirits.

As a previous owner of an wonderfully equipped 430 gc bought brand new in 2018, i had no intention of changing my car. But my dealer called me offering a huge discount on the new 3 series. I have bought over the last 5 years, exactly 7 high-end brand new bmw's so i benefit from a certain treatment. Buy back on my 430 was also good.

1. I am single and live single, so more than one car is simply waste of money. Also, the car must be as versatile as possible.

3. My work involves moving in the coty, in medium to high traffic for about 120 kms daily.

4. The city i live in has shitty roads. And i do mean real crap, full of potholes.

5. I am incredibly careful with all my belongings and every single pothole crushes my heart.

Taking all this in account, i have honestly thought about getting the outgoing the M3 C, but the M340i touched every single base that i stated above much closer than the M's.

Absolutely no doubt the M's do every single thing better on a track, because that is where they were designed to shine.

Sadly, as much as i would love to live my life there, i do not. Maximum i can get to a track is 2-3 sessions / year and a great road during the holiday. The rest of 340+ days i will be driving between stoplights.

Also the technology. Yes i am a tech whore. I do appreciate every single gizmo i find on the car. And the G is mileas ahead of the F.

Regarding the car's performance. As a M340i owner, i do have the wish of actually owning a true M car but my life would not justify it, so i will hang on to every comparison being close to the M. So the fact that between light it will and is able to smoke an M2/M3/M4 and M550i (pay attention here as it will be better that the first gen of 460hp but NOT better than the 2019 one with 500hp), makes me love it even more.

I see the car exactly how it is: a really balanced saloon and in my honest oppinion, the best on the market right now.

I also love its duality, and that is something you do not have in the M3/4. I can drive the car feeling as chill as ray charles and really comfy, but when i put it in sport plus, it turns in the chernobyl reactor 3. I love that and have not driven yet a car that can be so different.

I have driven some monsters during my life and spent a fair amount of time on the track. Given i am not a fan of larger cars than 3/4 series, my lerfect garage would also involve, aside from the M340i, an M2 Comp and a Jag E Type. That is all. But your existence must justify having the car you drive. I am also not a fan of owning a car and driving it once a week. As an investment, yes. But i prefer changing the car every two years or wven yearly but actually enjoy it daily.
No one is doubting that the M340i is a great car for specific needs. I'm arguing that the ego street racers need to realize that drag times and traffic signal races are ridiculously under-representing the overall performance of ANY car.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      05-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #160
alexm3forty
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

No one is doubting that the M340i is a great car for specific needs. I'm arguing that the ego street racers need to realize that drag times and traffic signal races are ridiculously under-representing the overall performance of ANY car.
[/QUOTE]
No one is doubting that the M340i is a great car for specific needs. I'm arguing that the ego street racers need to realize that drag times and traffic signal races are ridiculously under-representing the overall performance of ANY car.[/QUOTE]

Well of course they are, and anyone saying otherwise must be mad. But it is fun tho. And that what it's all about.

In the same way M owners are not real racing drivers, they just tend to drive something that makes them feel like they are. I really hope i'm making myself understood here, the wine doesn't help
2013 X1 1.8d xDrive "E84"
2008 335xi "E92"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #161
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

This post.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #162
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Well of course they are, and anyone saying otherwise must be mad. But it is fun tho. And that what it's all about.

In the same way M owners are not real racing drivers, they just tend to drive something that makes them feel like they are. I really hope i'm making myself understood here, the wine doesn't help
99.99% of us aren't professional drivers, but there is a good amount that actually do track their cars, and an M340i just doesn't check that box.

In another post I did quick dirty math to explain how it would take over 400 drag races to equal the amount of time 1 track days gives the driver the same high performance driving experience. So while a traffic light race is fun, it's not even that important, it's not even legal, and it honestly doesn't even take that much skill.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      05-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #163
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
99.99% of us aren't professional drivers, but there is a good amount that actually do track their cars, and an M340i just doesn't check that box.
[/QUOTE]
Track a car...who would do such a thing? ☺️
Much more interesting than just planting your foot from a standstill.
Attached Images

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #164
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
The F80 M wasn't even a good car. Didn't get the best reviews due to the engine and the famous driving feel.

So I doubt it will be looked on too fondly.
That's comparing it to other M cars; it's not at all compared to a standard 3 series.

The car should aim to beat a Mercedes C43 in handling and sportiness before you start talking about actual M cars. I understand your identity is tied up in the drag race superiority of your car, but it's OK to be objective about exactly where it lies in the performance spectrum.

Excellent review. The C43 sounds like a beast. The M340i felt more like a Lexus to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #165
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyg20M View Post
I agree there are million different variables which come into play when drag racing, but in a real world situation if an M3/4 tries me at a light I'm smoking em. #Facts

Regardless of Drag times or track times - your average consumer doesn't even see a drag-strip, but if that helps you sleep at night 👌🏾🤣!

I figured this video would be controversial and couldn't wait for someone to prove the m340i is the all around better car when it comes to tech, engine, trans ect.

I hate to say it, but the M4 failed yet again to put that power down resulting in a "L"! Sorry bud.
I don't want to be an average consumer. My M3 CS sees the track twice a month, before covid anyway

I also don't want to be just okay at a lot of things, I want my M car to be focused on performance in more than just one thing. That means compromise. The M340i is excellent from a dig because it has AWD and you can probably get on the throttle a little earlier in a corner without losing it, which is more forgiving.

Another thing, maybe you should read the comments:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #166
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I agree there are million different variables which come into play when drag racing, but in a real world situation if an M3/4 tries me at a light I'm smoking em. #Facts

Regardless of Drag times or track times - your average consumer doesn't even see a drag-strip, but if that helps you sleep at night 👌🏾🤣!

I figured this video would be controversial and couldn't wait for someone to prove the m340i is the all around better car when it comes to tech, engine, trans ect.

I hate to say it, but the M4 failed yet again to put that power down resulting in a "L"! Sorry bud.
I don't want to be an average consumer. My M3 CS sees the track twice a month, before covid anyway

I also don't want to be just okay at a lot of things, I want my M car to be focused on performance in more than just one thing. That means compromise. The M340i is excellent from a dig because it has AWD and you can probably get on the throttle a little earlier in a corner without losing it, which is more forgiving.

Another thing, maybe you should read the comments:
Welcome to the party. I track a Ducati, but definitely not twice a month! Honestly going to the track has died a bit after having my first kid. If I were to get a track weapon it would be the alfa romeo giulia quadrifoglio, which puts the M3/4 to shame or I'll wait until the G80 drops!

💪🏾👊🏾
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #167
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Track a car...who would do such a thing? ☺️
Much more interesting than just planting your foot from a standstill.
Yup... Going in a straight line puts me to sleep.

Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Dirtyg20M118.50
      05-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #168
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Welcome to the party. I track a Ducati, but definitely not twice a month! Honestly going to the track has died a bit after having my first kid. If I were to get a track weapon it would be the alfa romeo giulia quadrifoglio, which puts the M3/4 to shame or I'll wait until the G80 drops!

��������
There is a reason I've only seen one Alfa at the track.... I'd rather be racing than worrying. And not that Ring times are all telling, but the Alfa GQ did it in 7:32, the M3 CS did it in 7:38. 6 seconds on that long a circuit is nothing and I'm no pro driver, so I'll probably make the same mistakes in an Alfa I do in my M3 CS.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #169
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

��������
There is a reason I've only seen one Alfa at the track.... I'd rather be racing than worrying.
I hard pass on the Fseries M3/4! 👌🏾
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #170
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I hard pass on the Fseries M3/4! 👌🏾
Thanks but traffic light racing isn't my thing.

The last Alfa on a track day with me was slower by 6 seconds. Wasn't a Quad though.

Incase you missed it last time:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #171
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I'll keep my baby. 🤤

Will be bittersweet when it's time to swap for the G80. ❤️[IMG]https://share.icloud.com/photos/01Hc...Community_Park[/IMG]

[IMG]https://share.icloud.com/photos/07Q8...Community_Park[/IMG]

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Gb9...Community_Park

[IMG]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0lQo...ty_-_Fox_Hills[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #172
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Passing on the G80. Too big. Maybe an M2 CS or I'll just get a proper track toy like a Miata or Cayman GTS or 997 CS. Definitley skipping the M340i. Non-M cars are commuters, and I like my golf cart of a commuter.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #173
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Yup... Going in a straight line puts me to sleep.

LRG is such a great color. Really sad it never made it to the M2.
Appreciate 1
jmg18708.00
      05-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #174
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Repost.

Will be bittersweet when it's time to swap out, but this car has been amazing and who could resist this beauty? 🤤

Tune and downpipe this thing would be a NASTY sleeper. Please don't comment on the wheel gap - there are zero lowering springs for the G20 M340i because it's that New New! 😂😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
jmg18708.00
chris7197334.00
Vervain397.50
      05-04-2020, 10:40 PM   #175
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Repost.

Will be bittersweet when it's time to swap out, but this car has been amazing and who could resist this beauty? 🤤

Tune and downpipe this thing would be a deadly sleeper. Please don't comment on the wheel gap - there are zero lowering springs for the G20 M340i because it's that New New! 😂😂
I think it's a good looking car. Sincerely. I just won't be getting one.

Appreciate 1
Dirtyg20M118.50
      05-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #176
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Repost.

Tune and downpipe this thing would be a NASTY sleeper. Please don't comment on the wheel gap - there are zero lowering springs for the G20 M340i because it's that New New! 😂😂
Might need black grille surrounds. Looks pretty good, though.
Appreciate 1
Dirtyg20M118.50