Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Euro Spec M340i vs M4 vs M550i Drag Race

05-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #177
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Why is that we never see M owners '"gosh, I wish I had bought that M-watered down performance car instead of my real M" ?
They are great cars, but it's clearly envy speaking when they post about their "kills". Every bro with an E90 335i back in the day was bragging about how their car "kills" the E46 M3, but they fail to see the point. The E46 M3 was a more fun car to drive and has more feel and feedback, period.
Enjoy! Bone stock M340i taking a heavily modded 335is for a walk in the park. 😂

Honestly this race was super dangerous, but no one was hurt. 🙏🏾

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #178
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Yes, and your car is the successor to that 10 year old car.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2020, 03:24 AM   #179
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyg20M View Post
Enjoy! Bone stock M340i taking a heavily modded 335is for a walk in the park. ��

Honestly this race was super dangerous, but no one was hurt. ����

Honestly I love the 335is. I think it's probably more fun to drive than even my F80. Maybe not the fastest, but fun.

But you should consider the risk you are taking for bragging rights. You're going to kill someone with that nonsense. You might be the best driver in the world, but you can't predict what someone else is going to do, like pull out in front of you from that left turn lane you passed.

I guarantee you will have more fun with your car if you take a high performance driving school then hit the track. You are barely scratching the surface with traffic light dragging. A buddy of mine tracks his bike too and even learned a few things tracking an M5 Competition. It's a different skillset.

M School:

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/school/classes/bmw/m

$1500 for a one day, $4k for a 2 day. I've done both and it's opened up a whole new world. I'm doing the Advanced School when this pandemic lets up. $5k with hotel. Thermal Club is right here in Palm Springs, a quick drive away.

If you start frequenting the local tracks here and spot me, I'll buy you lunch if you can beat my times! It's not that hard... I suck.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 05-05-2020 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:39 AM   #180
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Enjoy! Bone stock M340i taking a heavily modded 335is for a walk in the park. ��

Honestly this race was super dangerous, but no one was hurt. ����

Honestly I love the 335is. I think it's probably more fun to drive than even my F80. Maybe not the fastest, but fun.

But you should consider the risk you are taking for bragging rights. You're going to kill someone with that nonsense. You might be the best driver in the world, but you can't predict what someone else is going to do, like pull out in front of you from that left turn lane you passed.

I guarantee you will have more fun with your car if you take a high performance driving school then hit the track. You are barely scratching the surface with traffic light dragging. A buddy of mine tracks his bike too and even learned a few things tracking an M5 Competition. It's a different skillset.

M School:

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/school/classes/bmw/m

$1500 for a one day, $4k for a 2 day. I've done both and it's opened up a whole new world. I'm doing the Advanced School when this pandemic lets up. $5k with hotel. Thermal Club is right here in Palm Springs, a quick drive away.

If you start frequenting the local tracks here and spot me, I'll buy you lunch if you can beat my times! It's not that hard... I suck.
You right man! Definitely not worth it. Regardless the 335is still has a place in my heart. 💪🏾
Appreciate 1
jmg18706.50
      05-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #181
Earlando86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 and F90 M5

I'm pretty sure an updated 2020 M550i with 523hp would dusted the M340i. It's better to always race cars from the same year to see true competitiveness throughout the lineup. Either way, I'm not threatened. I own an F90 and will probably end up getting an M340i as my daily b
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
Dirtyg20M118.50
      05-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #182
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why is that we never see M owners '"gosh, I wish I had bought that M-watered down performance car instead of my real M" ?
They are great cars, but it's clearly envy speaking when they post about their "kills". Every bro with an E90 335i back in the day was bragging about how their car "kills" the E46 M3, but they fail to see the point. The E46 M3 was a more fun car to drive and has more feel and feedback, period.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Firstly, we are all M car owners, so nothing against other enthusiasts. I feel M3/4 owners are getting butt-hurt and are claiming this video is staged when it's clearly not.

This video is factual. I've raced M3/4 and even a CS my neighbor has one (overpriced in my opinion), but the results were the same - poor traction and they start to get in their power-band and hookup once it's too late. Definitely if it were an airstrip race the M3/4 would blow the M340i away, but in the real world no one wants to race past 150mph. Lol 😂

Listen, I'm not trying to shit on anyone - I respect my M3/4 bro's, but for those who don't know you gotta respect that M340i it's quick and with a simple tune - for the money it's a better car "my opinion".

It's sole purpose is to bridge the gap for a consumer who is not looking for bucket seats, outdated interiors with limited tech. Have you seen the Audi's as of late?

That's talking about the current outdated F-series, but once the G80 drops this thread and post will be irrelevant as I'm sure it will not have issues accelerating from a dig - look at the M8. 💪🏾

My apologies if I hurt anyone's feelings, but ppl talking about M340i guys like we settled for an inferior car because we can't afford an M3/4 is Ridiculous and untrue as they are practically leasing for the same and the M3/4 will only go down in price as the G80 debuts - plus sprinkle in a little covid-19 discounts. 🤣🤣🤣

Just saying!
Such is the case when new models come out.

What I am questioning is why you got an M340i if drag racing is your only metric. RT Scat Pack us a second faster in the 1/4 mile and $10k cheaper.

The mistake is assuming that the M3/4 was designed to compete in a drag, and should be compared with the M340i in that regard. You said yourself, in the real world no one wants to race past 150mph... but what you really mean is the public roads. In the real world, you can't even hit 150mph without risking jail time, impound, or worse: killing someone. So really, a M340i that never sees a track and only needs to apply to the public roads is fine: a fast 0-60 to zip in and out of traffic. The M3/4, if you have ever owned one, is fine on the street, but not ideal: it wants to go fast and it feels unfairly restrained on the street, out of it's element.

It's such a strange phenomena comparing traffic light racing to any form of real racing. It probably takes 10 seconds to hit 100mph in a M340i. In most cases the drag race will be over by then-so ~10 seconds of "racing" which you can't even do legally. That's supposed to count more than a circuit, where it's completely legal to hit triple digit speeds for as long as you dare? One day on a road circuit amounts to more time at a high performance threshold than all the street "racing" anyone can do in a year. 4*20 minute circuit course sessions=80 minutes=4800seconds=480 drag races. 480 drag races where you don't even turn the wheel and hit the brakes once... compared to a circuit course with multiple turns, multiple brake zones... just overall more demands on the car and driver. But a dozen drag races is somehow the metric?

Yes, actually.... for those who just want a fast street car, hence the M340i. For those who want more though, a "real" M car. "Real" is in quotes because a real M car is a thing of the past in terms of marketing. BMW will take advantage of the average consumer's incapacity to distinguish between the M Performance and an M. BMW thinks that the uninformed consumer will now accept the M Performance car as M cars because marketing has told them so. Case in point: the entire discussion in this thread about 0-60 times and drag racing and the notion that the M340i is a "real" M car. Those that know the history of M cars know better than to compare drag times, it was never the goal of BMW Motorsports. Comparing drag times only shows that the consumer doesn't know the real difference between M Performance and M.

Case in point:

Attend any BMW M School – instruction in high performance driving at the BMW Performance Centers. Lessons include: autocross, circuit, drift. Guess which one is missing? Drag.
Thank you for the history lesson and M course. Honestly, I'm confused on where this conversation has gone.

I agree these cars are two separate animals and serve to completely different purposes. That being said, marketing or not I'm happy with my M340i, but it will be short lived once the G80 drops. 😎
That wasn't a history lesson. M School does not currently nor previously include drag. FYI, M School was designed by BMW and the M division. If anyone, they should know what areas of performance that the M cars are designed to excel at. That's why there is no drag component.

That was a lesson only if you didn't know about it previously. If you were already aware of these things, not only would I not have to bother telling you about it, but you wouldn't have made the mistake of placing such an emphasis on drag racing.
Again what's your point?

Since the M division does not include drag racing in their lessons - we should totally disregard drag racing, and all the millions of drag races that M's have lost don't matter because you said so?

Is that right? Okay got it.

Thanks for the lesson! 👊🏾
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M340 won sorta

The 335 stayed with the m340

You can see exactly where the 335 let off

That was dangerous?

Sheesh don't ever drive in NYC

I got smoked by a new Honda Accord in traffic on major degan
Appreciate 1
Vervain397.50
      05-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #183
G444
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
The point was that the M cars weren't designed to win drag races. It's not at the school because the M cars aren't drag cars. Drag racing M cars is like doing tractor pulls. Yes, a big truck is going to pull more weight than a M3. Why should we care? M3 wasn't designed to tow. M3 wasn't designed to drag either. Why should we care if the M340i competes with it? First of all, it's in a different class being AWD and it's probably got different gearing ratios.

Another point: you drag for maybe 10 seconds. The other 23hrs, 59 minutes, and 50 seconds in the day your still just in a second banana 3 series.

I'm trying to be nice and tell you have a nice car, but you keep coming back with these ego driven replies because some weird inferiority complex with and older generation M car on its way out. It's baffling.

And what is the point of M3 F80?

Is not good for drag is slower than M340i
Is heavy so not good for truck (for truck better take lotus exige or similar)
Is not comfortable so not good for long trips
Is more expensive then M340i
Is less tech and have more rubbish interior than M340i
Is not xdrive (M340i have lsd and xdrive) so suck on snow

But I know in what is better that have badge M3 on car and that makes great car...

Last edited by G444; 05-05-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #184
dlk001
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

From the M4 owner...

I'm the owner or that M4. This location was the only possible place because we got locked coz or the virus. Yes, that distance and that conditions was in favor of 340m but we simply cannot do a shoot in a trafic at that time. We DO a race later at the night but wasnt able to do a descent shooting because it was dark so you see lights and pretty much this only. I just killed that 340M in 400 meter descent grip ( yep he got the atart but thats all, around 300meter i was infront of him whit a little, at 400 inwas ahead ). Rolling starts was so funny that i bring even my old E63 M6, and still was able to beat him. We will do a new video as soon as that quarantine is lifted and we will be able to do a descent drag day on a better place. The new video will be made in the same tube chanell
2009, E92 335i
2005, E90 325i
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      05-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #185
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk001 View Post
From the M4 owner...

I just killed that 340M in 400 meter descent grip ( yep he got the atart but thats all, around 300meter i was infront of him whit a little, at 400 inwas ahead ).
A tart🥮 now that wouldn't surprise me 🤣

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #186
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by G444 View Post
Quote:
The point was that the M cars weren't designed to win drag races.

But I know in what is better that have badge M3 on car and that makes great car...
My wife uses our M3 as a DD and when we use it for longer journeys - 300 mile round trips - it's plenty comfortable and that's with 4 adults.

It's a lot lighter than my C63 S, so I wouldn't call it heavy, in fact I think it's weight is reasonable for a 5 seater.

Rubbish interior? Full Sakhir leather and carbon fibre trim plus fantastic seats? I couldn't disagree with you more, especially compared to the M340i which just feels like another 3 series.

Less tech? It depends on spec, but yes the iDrive is older. But does it bother me? No.

It's not Xdrive. Correct. But due to global warming we rarely get snow where I live. If we did, I would buy winter tyres.

Plus out of all that, you forgot to mention the F80 looks better and (tongue in cheek) has a carbon fibre strut brace and roof. It's a special car.

Don't believe me, buy one and then report back.
Attached Images

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 3
jmg18706.50
HotRodM4687.00
      05-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #187
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G444 View Post

Is not good for drag is slower than M340i - The M4 in the video readily beat the M340i from a roll, it's in the comments. On a road course, you start from a dig once, it's literally useful once. I don't drag, I actually find it boring.

Is heavy so not good for truck (for truck better take lotus exige or similar) - truck? What do you mean? Track? It's lighter than the M340i so how is it not good for the track? I've raced a lotus exige at ACS. It has the potential at being faster in the corners, but I gained in the straights. Mind you, a skilled driver in an Exige would easily run faster laps, because the driver's skill has much more impact than in drag racing. There is skill in drag racing for sure, but the separation in skill levels isn't as wide. You might be a second or so slower than a professional drag racer in a comparable car, while on a road circuit it could be 10+ seconds on a mile long course.

Is not comfortable so not good for long trips - My M3 CS isn't a commuter, so it doesn't matter. A track I drive it is WSIR which is 2 hrs away and its fine. I have 3 other cars for road trips.

Is more expensive then M340i - M340i has a lower RV when you lease. Cost is closer than you think, and you get a carbon fiber roof and hood and lightweight forged wheels. It handles much better than the M340i mainly because it's equiped to do so and weighs much less.

Is not xdrive (M340i have lsd and xdrive) so suck on snow - I have an AWD SUV for snow that I can actually put chains on if I have to. Why would I need an M3 to drive on snow? You know that M3/4's come with LSD's right?

Is less tech and have more rubbish interior than M340i - rubbish is subjective. I find the M340i interior cheapened in some areas but upgraded in others. In the end they are just 3 series. Subjectively my M3 CS has a nicer interior than the M340i I drove at UDE.

My interior might be a generation old, but that doesn't mean it isn't livable:

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing

Last edited by jmg; 05-05-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #188
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk001 View Post
From the M4 owner...

I'm the owner or that M4. This location was the only possible place because we got locked coz or the virus. Yes, that distance and that conditions was in favor of 340m but we simply cannot do a shoot in a trafic at that time. We DO a race later at the night but wasnt able to do a descent shooting because it was dark so you see lights and pretty much this only. I just killed that 340M in 400 meter descent grip ( yep he got the atart but thats all, around 300meter i was infront of him whit a little, at 400 inwas ahead ). Rolling starts was so funny that i bring even my old E63 M6, and still was able to beat him. We will do a new video as soon as that quarantine is lifted and we will be able to do a descent drag day on a better place. The new video will be made in the same tube chanell

You should also do a drag that isn't downhill, since that gives an AWD even more advantage than it already does.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #189
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Lol this is too funny...
      05-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #190
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Lol this is too funny...
yep, this is why I don't go to many car meets and I don't drag race or compete at tracks. I don't care if its a m3 or m340i, I appreciate the car for what it is or what I can afford. I typically don't have time to set around to see who has the biggest jank. 🤣
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
      05-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #191
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
yep, this is why I don't go to many car meets and I don't drag race or compete at tracks. I don't care if its a m3 or m340i, I appreciate the car for what it is or what I can afford. I typically don't have time to set around to see who has the biggest jank. ��
That's completely valid. Street racing is very different than tracking however.

I don't go to the track specifically to compare times, although it happens naturally, but not usually to brag about "kills", merely to set a goal for myself. A better skilled driver will run faster laps in a "slower" car. People at circuits are overall very friendly and helpful to one another. We give ride alongs, share our techniques, and even help when something breaks. We are all there to ultimately beat our personal bests and the skill levels are so spread apart that I'd rather see what a faster driver's line is and compare it to mine rather than talk shit about a car because it's slower to 60. Ridiculous. Of course there are some bad eggs too, but not as many as road ragers on the street.

I think the only times I compare lap times is when someone in acting like a complete douche bag. They're usually in the beginner heats, overdriving their high horsepower car and bullying the slower drivers (honking, passing aggressively, riding their tails, not letting faster cars -Miatas- pass because of their ego). Otherwise, respect to skilled drivers, fk the d-bags.

I've met more than a few street racers come in for the first time on a track day, bragging how they're gonna tear it up and they know how to drift around corners because the freeway onramp by their house is enough to hone their skill. I love seeing the look in their eyes after their first session when they realize street racing is like 1/10th the intensity of circuit racing. They shut up real quick and start asking questions... which is a good thing. Gotta admit, I had a little of that in me. I thought I could drive until a 50 year old former professional race car driver proved to me I pretty much sucked!

Circuit racing give you humility.

Street racing inflates your ego.

Last edited by jmg; 05-05-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
GB///M163.00
      05-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #192
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
yep, this is why I don't go to many car meets and I don't drag race or compete at tracks. I don't care if its a m3 or m340i, I appreciate the car for what it is or what I can afford. I typically don't have time to set around to see who has the biggest jank. 🤣
Haha exactly...well put.
      05-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #193
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Track a car...who would do such a thing? ☺️
Much more interesting than just planting your foot from a standstill.
Yup... Going in a straight line puts me to sleep.

Who cares which is faster, the F8X CS is such a good looking car.

I think the F80s have the best front end of any BMW, still. Makes me miss my M4 a little!

I have an F90, I'll crush almost anything on the road in a straight line, and you know what?.. It doesn't matter. Leave egos off the road.

Love LRG btw!
Appreciate 1
jmg18706.50
      05-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #194
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
yep, this is why I don't go to many car meets and I don't drag race or compete at tracks. I don't care if its a m3 or m340i, I appreciate the car for what it is or what I can afford. I typically don't have time to set around to see who has the biggest jank. ��
I left BMW after hanging unto an E46 for 10 plus years and just returned with this G20. These new generation M car owners are a different breed. You'd never see this bs on E46fanatics back in the day. M3 guys, 323i, 325i , 330i and the ZHP owners etc all get along, no show-boating, no condescension, no bull shit about how you're in a lesser car because you can't afford the GT3 beating F80. No ridiculous arguments about how non M car's can't be use for the track.

When we had car meets, everybody got the same love and respect. It's no wonder I have not gone to a car meet since the E90 debuted. Thankfully not all M drivers are this vain. The only place I see car guys shitting on BMW's is on your typical Lexus forums. Maybe it's a generational thing, truly sad.
      05-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #195
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I left BMW after hanging unto an E46 for 10 plus years and just returned with this G20. These new generation M car owners are a different breed. You'd never see this bs on E46fanatics back in the day. M3 guys, 323i, 325i , 330i and the ZHP owners etc all get along, no show-boating, no condescension, no bull shit about how you're in a lesser car because you can't afford the GT3 beating F80. No ridiculous arguments about how non M car's can't be use for the track.

When we had car meets, everybody got the same love and respect. It's no wonder I have not gone to a car meet since the E90 debuted. Thankfully not all M drivers are this vain. The only place I see car guys shitting on BMW's is on your typical Lexus forums. Maybe it's a generational thing, truly sad.
I think it's worse on a forum. Out on the track or on drives, it doesn't matter.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #196
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:

True that, I have been on the F01 and E65 forums for the past 10 years and never encountered this much disdain for one another. The guys on there for the most part supported others whether it was a new or used car. Only the trolls were beat up...lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #197
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

True that, I have been on the F01 and E65 forums for the past 10 years and never encountered this much disdain for one another. The guys on there for the most part supported others whether it was a new or used car. Only the trolls were beat up...lol
I believe the M2 vs M235i/M240i debate was very similar. Where M235i owners claimed their cars are better than M2's because of some drag races.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #198
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe the M2 vs M235i/M240i debate was very similar. Where M235i owners claimed their cars are better than M2's because of some drag races.
While I agree with your underlying sentiment, you say that as if this is a wide spread disease going around all M340 owners. It's not, it's not much more than a handful of folks making such comments, and I have a feeling that at least 50% of them are just poking at M owners to get a reaction. So, let's not blow this out of proportion...it's just a small minority's of owners, and I would have thought the best response would be to ignore the comments.
Appreciate 0