Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G2x Windscreen Availability

03-11-2024, 12:29 PM   #1
Saracenus
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Alpina D3S

G2x Windscreen Availability

A stone chipped (and subsequently cracked) my LCI G21 windscreen 3 weeks ago and ever since then I’ve had the joy of chasing Autoglass for updates on replacing it.

The good news is that my insurer will pay for OEM glass - a Driving Assistant Professional/HUD screen (Part No: 51-31-7-477-267). The less encouraging news is that there is no UK stock, a replacement will come from Germany and they don’t even have a delivery forecast after 3 weeks.

Has anyone on here changed a windscreen recently? Did you have a long wait for a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:48 PM   #2
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

I had mine done (G20) by Autoglass in Gateshead last Friday. Waited a week. Same spec, HUD etc. only issue is the calibration hasn’t been done correct as the HUD is like double vision. Been waiting since Saturday for a call back to sort it.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 02:51 PM   #3
Saracenus
United Kingdom
Rep

A week sounds much more reasonable. Did you get OEM glass or non-BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 02:55 PM   #4
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracenus View Post
A week sounds much more reasonable. Did you get OEM glass or non-BMW?
OEM I think. Part number is 2490AGACM UVZ2L
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 03:05 PM   #5
Saracenus
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for letting me know - seems like I need to give Autoglass another ring then!
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 12:20 PM   #6
Nutey
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I had a Pilkington screen fitted a few weeks back on my G21 with HUD, took a few days to come in. Insurance wouldn't stump up for OEM glass but there was no OEM stock then either.
Pretty pleased with the new screen, maybe a fraction less crisp on the HUD graphics but no double vision...
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 09:46 AM   #7
Saracenus
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutey View Post
I had a Pilkington screen fitted a few weeks back on my G21 with HUD, took a few days to come in. Insurance wouldn't stump up for OEM glass but there was no OEM stock then either.
Pretty pleased with the new screen, maybe a fraction less crisp on the HUD graphics but no double vision...
It’s great to hear you had a good outcome with a non-OEM screen. I’d convinced myself that the HUD would deman a BMW item, but posts in this threat suggest it might be more dependent on the skill of the installer?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:10 PM   #8
G203SBM
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Does an OEM windscreen say BMW or at least have the BMW logo on it?

My windscreen does not have any BMW logo on it but all the other windows do have the logo on.

I am going to need to get my windscreen replaced shortly due to it being scratched by a stone or something that was stuck in the wiper.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 03:52 PM   #9
Saracenus
United Kingdom
Rep

An OEM window has the BMW badge in it, but is probably made by Pilkington (or a similar company).

Some people say they are quite different, others say they’re the same window just without the BMW badge. It’s worth noting that BMW say a non-OEM window will invalidate the warranty for window sensor claims.

Autoglass (as mandated by my insurance) normally offer a non-OEM window (i.e. Pilkington without the BMW badge). They make an exception for cars still in warranty.
Appreciate 0