Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Door lock assembly broken

11-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
latexyankee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330i Msport

Popped off the passenger door panel and the plastic pieces that hold and operate the door lock pin snapped right off...what a shitshow. How much trouble am I in? Door still locks of course just no visible indicator.

I dont suppose my warranty will cover this seeing as how I popped the door off, they will see the aftermarket speakers. The dealer I purchased from is in another state and I've yet to make an appt for anything with my local dealer. I guess it's worth a shot as the car is under warranty for another 6 months. Just not sure what I should tell them for the best results.

Looks the parts are $250 ish and I'm sure it's 2hr labor from the dealer. From I could find the entire actuator needs replaced. It's literally a 3mm diameter piece of plastic that broke, there's no guide rod to keep the lock rod in the upright position...so I remove the door panel, the lock rod swings down due to gravity and breaks off. I've never seem anything like it and I've removed many a door panel. The yellow piece on the rod snaps into the white piece in the pic. Both pieces are broken. So it's hopeless to attempt and rig something up.

A. Leave it without a rod.

B. Shoot and try for warranty

C. Pay out of pocket.

Fuck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Since it's plastic you can use like a nylon washer or something similar and chisel is down to where it fits? For such a small thing you shouldn't have to buy the whole assembly. There might be someone who can 3D print it for you.

If it needs to be snapped in place maybe try hot glue? Or even before you do all that maybe see if you can super glue it back together.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:23 PM   #3
latexyankee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea I don't think anything is going to work considering the housing itself is snapped in half AND the yellow coupler (not sure what to call it) that attaches to the rod. Therefore there is only about 25% of surface area they will even touch. I thought about glue and all sorts of solutions but there just isn't enough contact.

MAYBE if I can find the yellow piece that attaches to the rod I can get a 50% connection and try to incorporate glue.

As for the white plastic I believe it's all connected to the same assembly, I could only find one part # and that was the door lock actuator.

Here are some better pics but it's really hard to describe in photos alone. I have taped it in there to the door so at least it sits in the hole in the door panel. Doesn't move up or down but it looks better than not being there.

I guess I'll try for a warranty claim at some point in the next few months unless I can get more information here. Worst they can say is no, I'll go to an independent shop and have the actuator replaced. Dealer will be expensive, glass has to come out, they'll bill at as 2-3 hrs labor.

Edit-It seems when I upload portrait photos the site displays them as landscape. That's why they look wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 05:23 AM   #4
DickieJ
Rep
Drives: 2022 M30i X-Drive

Garage List
  [0.00]
I did the same thing about a month ago. I took the guts out of the door and replaced the actuator. Figured it out. If you are patient, it's not a tough job.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
latexyankee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieJ View Post
I did the same thing about a month ago. I took the guts out of the door and replaced the actuator. Figured it out. If you are patient, it's not a tough job.
I'm not sure if im patient enough. Can you share the part #? I'll also need the yellow piece that connects to the lock rod.

I may just leave it alone as the door locks fine. It's just one of those things that only bothers the owner. I still think I shoukd at least try to have it warrantied. Just furious at how cheap the piece/pieces are that they snapped off with only the weight of the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #6
DickieJ
Rep
Drives: 2022 M30i X-Drive

Garage List
  [0.00]
Mine was passenger side front. 51-21-7-956-142. It comes with the yellow insert. $240 all in from get bmwparts.com w/shipping.
Lube up the yellow piece before putting the lock rod back if you do it. The warranty move is worth a shot. My guess is they will balk.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 09:38 AM   #7
Spendy42
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport G21 2020

I have just done the same! I simply cannot get the door card back on! last week dropped it and broke the yellow clip * 51217404345* so ordered that and then a few lunchtimes later and many failed attempts I dropped the door card and broke the white bit like yourself. Ordered one off Ebay *7445051* for £30 and garage local to me will fit it for £50. I cant understand why the door card wont go on its beyond me? It the top left clip it simply wont hold in the hole. On my old F31 it was a breeze to get them back on. I thought it might be the crossover stopping the card going on but its not.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 03:00 PM   #8
tjevans224
Rep
Drives: 2020 330 G20

Door lock fixed

Thank you very much for the part number of the yellow part.
I ordered it for $4 with $9 shipping received it in a week, just installed it and is working good as new. I have been looking for that part for a year!! tom
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 06:38 AM   #9
Spendy42
United Kingdom
Rep

Well Garage has decided they dont have time to fit the part. Cant find a video on how to replace the whole unit ( I have the part) any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 08:00 AM   #10
Spendy42
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieJ View Post
Did you have to take the glass out? Did you use a guide?
Appreciate 0