Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Ghost Adaptive M suspension

12-21-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
Daril
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E87 116D, BMW X1 U11 18D

Ghost Adaptive M suspension

Hello to everybody. A month ago I received my X1 18 diesel with M Sport Package. Here in Europe (probably the same overseas) you can choose the M Package with or without the Adaptive M suspension (cost is the same whether you go for it or not). So I ordered it with the Adaptive M suspension. The last weekend I was ceramic coating my wheels and I noticed that the front and rear shock absorbers did not have any kind of wires coming out, that would differentiate them from regular ones. Also driving around, in various roads and speeds, did not give any feedback that that the suspension is actually doing something at all. Long story short I went to the dealer I bought the car from and they verified that the car doesn't have the adaptive suspension but the regular one. I checked both the order contract and the invoice and they have the adaptive suspension listed in. It is the 2VF. I even went online on a VIN decoder and still the 2VF option is there. You can tell the difference really easy. I will post a pic soon. Now I am waiting for the BMW dealer to contact BMW and reply back. Anyone else had this same problem with that or a different option? And what was the reaction from the dealer or BMW?I guess it is a factory fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:36 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daril View Post
Hello to everybody. A month ago I received my X1 18 diesel with M Sport Package. Here in Europe (probably the same overseas) you can choose the M Package with or without the Adaptive M suspension (cost is the same whether you go for it or not). So I ordered it with the Adaptive M suspension. The last weekend I was ceramic coating my wheels and I noticed that the front and rear shock absorbers did not have any kind of wires coming out, that would differentiate them from regular ones. Also driving around, in various roads and speeds, did not give any feedback that that the suspension is actually doing something at all. Long story short I went to the dealer I bought the car from and they verified that the car doesn't have the adaptive suspension but the regular one. I checked both the order contract and the invoice and they have the adaptive suspension listed in. It is the 2VF. I even went online on a VIN decoder and still the 2VF option is there. You can tell the difference really easy. I will post a pic soon. Now I am waiting for the BMW dealer to contact BMW and reply back. Anyone else had this same problem with that or a different option? And what was the reaction from the dealer or BMW?I guess it is a factory fault.
If 2VF is listed within the VIN, then it should have been fitted with EDC.

I am guessing your dealer took the wheels off and verified part numbers on the dampers of your car and compared them to the correct ones it via ETK.

Since 2VF sits 15mm lower on the X1, it also contains different springs and I wouldn't be surprised also different anti-roll bars and stuff. But dealer should verify all those parts as well, not just the dampers.

Strange case, though mis-builds do happen. Keep pushing to resolve this, but you'll get taken care of since this is not the dealer's fault, meaning they won't have to pay out of their pocket.
      12-21-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
Daril
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
If 2VF is listed within the VIN, then it should have been fitted with EDC.

I am guessing your dealer took the wheels off and verified part numbers on the dampers of your car and compared them to the correct ones it via ETK.

Since 2VF sits 15mm lower on the X1, it also contains different springs and I wouldn't be surprised also different anti-roll bars and stuff. But dealer should verify all those parts as well, not just the dampers.

Strange case, though mis-builds do happen. Keep pushing to resolve this, but you'll get taken care of since this is not the dealer's fault, meaning they won't have to pay out of their pocket.

Appreciate your input. Haven't thought of other parts to be changed. What is the meaning of ETK?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:19 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Appreciate your input. Haven't thought of other parts to be changed. What is the meaning of ETK?
BMW parts catalogue
      12-22-2023, 01:52 PM   #5
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

conectors are plugged from the top of the damper ( for the rear one it you need to disassemble the damper to see the connector)
Appreciate 1
Daril12.50
      12-22-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
Daril
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
conectors are plugged from the top of the damper ( for the rear one it you need to disassemble the damper to see the connector)
Thanks. It seems that the front ones have the connectors in the middle of them. One can see them if looking above the fron tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #7
Daril
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. It seems that the front ones have the connectors in the middle of them. One can see them if looking above the fron tire.
Here is a pic of my front suspension. You can see where the M adaptive wiring plugs in, which I ordered but unfortunately was not installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
Daril
No_Country
Rep

Can anyone please upload any photo of their suspension, at least the front one, that the difference is obvious?
Appreciate 0