Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK SOS Battery Replacement

11-24-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
am549
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Plus

SOS Battery Replacement

Hi

Can anyone point me to a guide/part number on how to replace the sos battery in a 2019 G20 saloon? Started getting the messages on the dash today (did say it was low at my last service) so it's probably time to swap it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 10:21 AM   #2
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I believe the battery is located under the shark fin antenna. You have to remove the headlining to get to it - usually a dealer job, but there are videos on YouTube showing the replacement if you are feeling brave.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 11:46 AM   #3
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by am549 View Post
Hi

Can anyone point me to a guide/part number on how to replace the sos battery in a 2019 G20 saloon? Started getting the messages on the dash today (did say it was low at my last service) so it's probably time to swap it out.
Hi am549 - I had the same message in my F30 during the Covid period due to a combination of low mileage and cold weather. Once my usage went up the message went away.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
Carl99
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport G20 06/19

This might help...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=84_1277
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
am549
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Plus

Thanks for the advice. Looks like the issue has gone away now after a bit of a drive. It was flagged as being low during last service which is why I'd assumed it had gone
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 04:38 PM   #6
Shooter711
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I, 2022 X5

SOS Battery - Became a bigger deal

Have a SOS battery issue with my 2017 340i, at the same time the GPS has stopped working. The car is at the dealer, turns out the TCU and antenna have water damage. It get's better.... 2 years ago the car was in for an oil change at the dealer, the car is black so I ask for it NOT to be washed. The porter washes the car and the machine dents the roof 8" away from the shark fin. The dealer repairs the roof. (the car is not driven much and is garage kept) Back to the SOS and water damage... The dealer can't get the shark fin to reattach without it leaking do to the roof repair. They are willing to pay for the replacement antenna and part of the labor but not the TCU. I will be fighting with the dealer on this repair that was caused by their car wash. Any advice??
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:26 AM   #7
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter711 View Post
Have a SOS battery issue with my 2017 340i, at the same time the GPS has stopped working. The car is at the dealer, turns out the TCU and antenna have water damage. It get's better.... 2 years ago the car was in for an oil change at the dealer, the car is black so I ask for it NOT to be washed. The porter washes the car and the machine dents the roof 8" away from the shark fin. The dealer repairs the roof. (the car is not driven much and is garage kept) Back to the SOS and water damage... The dealer can't get the shark fin to reattach without it leaking do to the roof repair. They are willing to pay for the replacement antenna and part of the labor but not the TCU. I will be fighting with the dealer on this repair that was caused by their car wash. Any advice??
I had a bit of an argument with a BMW dealer over something fairly trivial (the car wasn’t supplied with locking wheel nut and toolkit). The dealer said I signed to say everything was all present and correct, so they couldn’t help.

I contacted BMW UK and within half an hour it was all sorted. I would suggest you give them a call because the dealers can be very slippery when I comes to coughing up for stuff.
Appreciate 0