Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Prevention of tracking of your movements via Intelligent Emergency Call

Closed Thread

02-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Prevention of tracking of your movements via Intelligent Emergency Call

I wonder how many people realise the anti libertarian nature of the EU’s introduction of eCall and, even worse, BMW’s “Intelligent Emergency Call (6AC)”? The EU’S mandatory requirement for the fitting of eCall into all cars built from April 2018 is bad enough (certainly in the U.K., the government’s official documents show the so called safety measure will have little to no effect. Indeed it was only the British government that prevented continuous vehicle tracking rather than the eCall system only being activated by a severe accident). However, the BMW Intelligent Emergency Call goes one privacy-busting step further by continually monitoring and tracking the vehicle, including having a microphone in the car that can record conversations with no ability by the owner to switch it off! If you read the small print in the G20 Owner’s Manual, it does say that you can at least opt to have Intelligent Emergency Call deactivated (unfortunately you can’t get rid of the vile EU’s imposition of eCall though!). I just hope the British government starts repealing some of this outrageous EU legislation that has been the bane of life in Britain for 40 years!
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
I wonder how many people realise the anti libertarian nature of the EU’s introduction of eCall and, even worse, BMW’s “Intelligent Emergency Call (6AC)”? The EU’S mandatory requirement for the fitting of eCall into all cars built from April 2018 is bad enough (certainly in the U.K., the government’s official documents show the so called safety measure will have little to no effect. Indeed it was only the British government that prevented continuous vehicle tracking rather than the eCall system only being activated by a severe accident). However, the BMW Intelligent Emergency Call goes one privacy-busting step further by continually monitoring and tracking the vehicle, including having a microphone in the car that can record conversations with no ability by the owner to switch it off! If you read the small print in the G20 Owner’s Manual, it does say that you can at least opt to have Intelligent Emergency Call deactivated (unfortunately you can’t get rid of the vile EU’s imposition of eCall though!). I just hope the British government starts repealing some of this outrageous EU legislation that has been the bane of life in Britain for 40 years!
I wonder if you remove 6AC via VO coding if it will deactivate this feature.
      02-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I wonder if you remove 6AC via VO coding if it will deactivate this feature.
Thanks - I will investigate...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Thanks - I will investigate...
Good luck.
      02-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
I just hope the British government starts repealing some of this outrageous EU legislation that has been the bane of life in Britain for 40 years!
Nope, it's all going to get far far worse.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
In EU cars you can’t turn these off via Dara Privacy in iDrive? In the US we can disable it via iDrive and we can disable the cars internet connection via ConnectedDrive portal. I haven’t tried it as I am not sure if it would take a dealer trip to reactivate it!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread