Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion The end of iDrive as we know it? Next 2 Series Active Tourer features all-touch MMI

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a Touchscreen based iDrive?
Yes, they should follow Tesla's lead. 21 9.01%
No, I hate fingerprints and prefer the old controller. 181 77.68%
Have to wait until I use it. 31 13.30%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

06-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #111
player1986
Rep
Drives: BMW X35

I hate fingerprints and prefer the old controller.they should not follow tesla.
Appreciate 1
jstein554597.50

06-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #112
bpu
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT BMW!!

If BMW abandons the extremely intuitive, extremely safe iDrive controller which can be operated entirely by feel for a touch screen/voice controlled system which abandons utility for "style" I am out.

Forget about titanic grilles, questionable styling choices, ///M saturation and Asian market shifts. This is the only item for me, 100%, that would make me leave new BMWs behind forever.

This interface is unacceptable for the safety of myself, my family, and all the families on the road killed by driver distraction. It will become acceptable only when level 5 autonomy exists and is proven. Until then, it is patently DANGEROUS!

Even iDrive has become more geared to style than feel. My E90's iDrive controls were much more intuitive simply because you could feel the individual buttons unlike the membrane pad on my G20.

If this happens, my G20 will last until it dies or until I trade "down" for an older M car. This is so depressing for me, and I can't even talk about leaving BMW because Audi, Porsche, Mercedes and Tesla are all the same now or very soon!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Their current interiors are so intuitive and functional and still give you all the tech you could want.

They've already sacrificed some utility for style like you said with the new, flat center console buttons, I much prefer the contoured buttons in my G30, lets you easily find them by touch. But with the new interiors they managed to update the design while still retaining all those components.

They even went to the trouble of minimizing the look of the HVAC buttons by putting them in a single row under the vents, so why remove them now? There's zero functional or stylistic benefit to replacing buttons with just blank dash space.

I've always preferred BMW's incredible consistency and iterative improvements vs. MB and Audi who completely change it up every few years with no consideration to if it's actually better (MB's new touch pad and Audi's new screens which are lower in the dash). They're abandoning what distinguishes them with a design like this. I've provided this feedback to them directly, you should do the same.
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #113
mr_lab_rat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Hell no. I just decided to keep the X1 instead of replacing it with Mazda CX5. Mazda basically copied iDrive but the execution and intuitivity is just not there.

It's not about fingerprints, I just think touchscreens have absolutely no place in cars.
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #114
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
They tell us not to touch our phones while driving and then place a really big one in the center console and dare us to use it..
Appreciate 4
jstein554597.50
Burrcold1290.00
Germanauto4522.00
Poochie5064.00

06-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #115
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The wife's little Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
They tell us not to touch our phones while driving and then place a really big one in the center console and dare us to use it..
There will come a day when you will not be able to use it when on the move, with no amount of coding to unlock it. Then you will have to resort to voice control.
2017 Audi Q5 S Line 2.0 TFSI sold
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (on order)
Appreciate 1
Kankles803.50

06-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #116
heavyD^2
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
There will come a day when you will not be able to use it when on the move, with no amount of coding to unlock it. Then you will have to resort to voice control.
Given that distracted driving deaths are outpacing impaired driving deaths I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger push for this. I know in Canada there have been discussions on making distracted driving a criminal offense but it just seems easier to go this route.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #117
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
I compltely agree with this comment. Touch screens, at least for features that one might need to use while driving, are an abomination and should not be allowed.
Appreciate 3