Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Wiper Blades Issue

12-10-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi

Wiper Blades Issue

I leased a brand new 2023 430xi less than a year ago. I noticed minor windshield streaking at first in the rain. The streaks gradually increased as it rained with time, especially on the passenger side. Every time I took it for service, they said they will clean the wipers. After about 5 months, I finally paid for a replacement because I was getting severe streaks and could barely see in the rain, which the service advisor agreed (many ~1mm streaks).
Again, about a month later I replaced them again because of the same issue with streaks on the windshield in the rain (this time BMW reimbursed me). Now, 2 months later I am getting a lot of streaks in the rain again on this new third new pair of wiper blades from the same dealer, especially on the passenger side. The only thing I notice on the windshield are a couple very minor tiny chips, but it is always clean and has never snowed. The streaks are similar every time - many ~1mm streaks, more so on the passenger side and increases gradually with time.
Why could this be? How would you proceed? Feedback/Advice? This is becoming to be a hassle and annoyance... I find this weird because I never replaced the wiper blades on my last BMW lease. TYIA.

UPDATE:
I had to replace the wipers again for a 5th time. I now think it is due to several (sharp edged) minor chips on my windshield. My windshield is filled with many 1mm chips that are superficial. What are my options here other than replacing the windshield?
What would you do?
Thanks

Last edited by Gamyr; 12-29-2023 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:22 AM   #2
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Most people, including myself, have found the OEM wiper blades to be very good so maybe the dealer got a delivery of blades from a batch that are defective. Might be a good idea to buy some online or from another dealer. I guess it's also possible theres something wrong with passenger side wiper arm.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:07 AM   #3
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

I suspect the issue may be with the windshield itself, not the wipers. It is possible that some substance got on it either during manufacturing or shipment that will not come off with normal techniques.

I would get a glass polish or glass-specific clay bar and give it a good going over and wipe off the residue. Follow this with an Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down with a microfiber, changing cloth or sides of the cloth frequently. Then use a good glass cleaner like Invisible Glass (not common household glass cleaners, as these often contain soap which will leave a film).

Good luck resolving the problem!
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2023, 08:26 AM   #4
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I find the OEM blades to be good. I don't know if you are, but if you are using a rainex or something similar that may cause the streaking/sticking. I tend to steer clear of any glass water repellant unless its a ceramic coating on glass.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

A simple fix to try is to clean the blade edge with rubbing alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Take it you never park under or very near any trees? Many trees secrete tiny amounts of gum/resin that are almost invisible to the eye which lands on cars beneath / just downwind of the tree. These minute droplets of resin can be swept away by the wiper blades but build up on the blades over time and cause streaking. Same type of issue can arise from some types of industrial works depending on what they discharge into the air. As advised above, always beet to clean the blades with rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner at every wash anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #7
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
A simple fix to try is to clean the blade edge with rubbing alcohol.
This has been attempted several times and no improvement
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:47 PM   #8
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Take it you never park under or very near any trees? Many trees secrete tiny amounts of gum/resin that are almost invisible to the eye which lands on cars beneath / just downwind of the tree. These minute droplets of resin can be swept away by the wiper blades but build up on the blades over time and cause streaking. Same type of issue can arise from some types of industrial works depending on what they discharge into the air. As advised above, always beet to clean the blades with rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner at every wash anyway.
Rarely, and the streaks are the similar/same every time new blades are changed. I never had this issue with my last BMW, and always parked in the same places for the last 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:48 PM   #9
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrared93 View Post
I suspect the issue may be with the windshield itself, not the wipers. It is possible that some substance got on it either during manufacturing or shipment that will not come off with normal techniques.

I would get a glass polish or glass-specific clay bar and give it a good going over and wipe off the residue. Follow this with an Isopropyl Alcohol wipe down with a microfiber, changing cloth or sides of the cloth frequently. Then use a good glass cleaner like Invisible Glass (not common household glass cleaners, as these often contain soap which will leave a film).

So needs a new windshield?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 10:38 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamyr View Post
This has been attempted several times and no improvement
Since that does not work, the next step likely is to ask the foreman to check the wiper arm mechanisms, are they aligned/torqued correctly?

A misaligned windshield can be a culprit too, is there any paper trail of the windshield being replaced before u took delivery? Does the windshield have the BMW logo on it?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 10:51 AM   #11
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So needs a new windshield?
I hope your comment is facetious.

Nowhere did I say you needed a new windshield. What I recommended is part of a thorough detail on a car. Something I do annually on our cars and is not too much work - especially considering the problems you are having.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #12
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hope your comment is facetious.

Nowhere did I say you needed a new windshield. What I recommended is part of a thorough detail on a car. Something I do annually on our cars and is not too much work - especially considering the problems you are having.
I think OP's comment is valid, e.g. an improperly installed replacement windshield can be a factor too.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #13
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

I had to replace the wipers again for a 5th time. I now think it is due to several (sharp edged) minor chips on my windshield. My windshield is filled with many 1mm chips that are superficial. What are my options here other than replacing the windshield?
What would you do?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:58 AM   #14
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

What would you do?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 09:39 AM   #15
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What would you do?
Thanks
As I noted in my earlier post, I would try both a glass-specific clay bar and polish yourself (both available from Griots and elsewhere). If that doesn't do the trick, see if an auto glass shop can improve the situation. They may have better abrasives and equipment for working on glass - including crack and chip fillers. If that fails, then replacement may be the only option.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2023, 12:06 PM   #16
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As I noted in my earlier post, I would try both a glass-specific clay bar and polish yourself (both available from Griots and elsewhere). If that doesn't do the trick, see if an auto glass shop can improve the situation. They may have better abrasives and equipment for working on glass - including crack and chip fillers. If that fails, then replacement may be the only option.
Thanks. Which specific ones would you recommend using? Griots Speed Shine?
What about rainx?

Last edited by Gamyr; 12-31-2023 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 01:00 PM   #17
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

I would indeed recommend to polish the windshield and coat it afterwards with I.e. RainX. Another good point which was mentioned earlier is to avoid parking under trees. Are the streaks always coming back on the same place? This can determine if it’s a problem with the windshield itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 04:24 PM   #18
Gamyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
I would indeed recommend to polish the windshield and coat it afterwards with I.e. RainX. Another good point which was mentioned earlier is to avoid parking under trees. Are the streaks always coming back on the same place? This can determine if it’s a problem with the windshield itself.
Yes, usually the same place, which is why I think it is from the windshield chips? What should I do?
Which polish would you recommend? What steps?
I do not park under trees... Thanks!
Appreciate 0