Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What's your story behind your decision G20(330) or m340i?

09-04-2023, 12:40 PM   #45
TGPCanada
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i xDrive, 2023 IS500

I think my distaste for SUV's stems from the fact that I cannot see around them, in front of them, beside them, etc. LOL. And the worst part - parking in between 2 gigantic, box like, obese SUV's, and then trying to back out. Downright dangerous. And then when you are immersed in a sea of SUV's on the highway , it is like a video game trying to weave in and out between them.

All joking aside, a true driver's car is one is that is low to ground so that its centre of gravity sits as low as possible, is wide, has nearly 50/50 weight balance front to back, large horizontal clearance between front and rear tires, mostly RWD under heavy load, etc. Basic physics.

As to why I chose the 330i ? I already had an IS500, and didn't want yet another car that that kinda competes against that (although it would be fascinating to own both an M340 and IS500 and truly evaluate, long-term, the similarities and differences between them). Very happy with the 330i . It is a solid car, good performance, great suspension, great handling /minimal body roll, great grunt down low, and lots of space. Sedan's are just more fun to drive. Full Stop. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 09:07 PM   #46
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPCanada View Post
I think my distaste for SUV's stems from the fact that I cannot see around them, in front of them, beside them, etc. LOL. And the worst part - parking in between 2 gigantic, box like, obese SUV's, and then trying to back out. Downright dangerous. And then when you are immersed in a sea of SUV's on the highway , it is like a video game trying to weave in and out between them.

All joking aside, a true driver's car is one is that is low to ground so that its centre of gravity sits as low as possible, is wide, has nearly 50/50 weight balance front to back, large horizontal clearance between front and rear tires, mostly RWD under heavy load, etc. Basic physics.

As to why I chose the 330i ? I already had an IS500, and didn't want yet another car that that kinda competes against that (although it would be fascinating to own both an M340 and IS500 and truly evaluate, long-term, the similarities and differences between them). Very happy with the 330i . It is a solid car, good performance, great suspension, great handling /minimal body roll, great grunt down low, and lots of space. Sedan's are just more fun to drive. Full Stop. LOL
How do you like the IS500/ especially the transmission response compared to the BMW ZF8?
      09-05-2023, 12:01 PM   #47
TGPCanada
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i xDrive, 2023 IS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
How do you like the IS500/ especially the transmission response compared to the BMW ZF8?
The transmission is a bit lazy unless you go Sport + and drive it hard - then it wakes up. For sure, the 10 speed in the LC500 would have been a much better choice, but doesn't fit in the IS platform. The 8 speed in the BMW is much smoother.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00