Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M440i and X4

04-22-2023, 07:22 AM   #1
Mark Venture
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i gone, G26 coming

M440i and X4

They are cars with different purposes, but having said that, for those of you who may have cross shopped the M440i Gran Coupe and the X4 M40i, can you share your thoughts on the two? I'm coming from an M340i, and have driven BMW coupes, GC's and sedans for the past 15 years. I'm at the point where my body is leaning towards not wanting something low slung, so the ride height of an SUV is a good thing. The increased utility of the X4 over a sedan is a nice addition too.
If you've test driven both, how does ride comfort compare? Other plusses and minuses when comparing?
With inventories being tight, I haven't been able to test drive either the X4 M40i or the M440i GC, just a 430i GC. Rear visibility in the 430 GC wasn't great.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:09 AM   #2
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Venture View Post
They are cars with different purposes, but having said that, for those of you who may have cross shopped the M440i Gran Coupe and the X4 M40i, can you share your thoughts on the two? I'm coming from an M340i, and have driven BMW coupes, GC's and sedans for the past 15 years. I'm at the point where my body is leaning towards not wanting something low slung, so the ride height of an SUV is a good thing. The increased utility of the X4 over a sedan is a nice addition too.
If you've test driven both, how does ride comfort compare? Other plusses and minuses when comparing?
With inventories being tight, I haven't been able to test drive either the X4 M40i or the M440i GC, just a 430i GC. Rear visibility in the 430 GC wasn't great.
Not directly relevant, but I test drove the X3 and X3M before choosing the 4 GC. The latter is was just so much more fun to drive. I was seeking to replace a Mazda CX-5 and an M240 convertible with LSD. The 4 GC managed to bridge the two very well.

Getting in and out of the 4 GC is no issue. But, I might feel differently 10 years from now.

The X3 was fine to drive. Perfectly pleasant. But, I would not call it fun. You sacrifice a lot of nimbleness for the ride height and ground clearance.

Possibly the X4 is better in that regard, but it seemed kind of silly to then sacrifice the space and practicality of the X3 and pay more to boot to get it.

I would have chosen a 3 or 5 wagon were they still imported. And have had three BMW wagons previously.
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

For me, the M440i GC is perfect. It’s comfortable, crazy fast, easy to get in/out of, and very versatile with the hatchback. The backseat room is literally the only drawback IMO. Everything else is just amazing.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

4 - like sitting in a lazy couch
X - sitting on a chair

4 - corners like a go kart
X - corners like a bus

4 - less room for everyone & things
X - more room for everyone & things

4 - quieter like room
X - noisier like a lounge

that's that in a nutshell
i found the X3 uncomfortable to sit in. not sure about X4. have you tried a 5 series? they are very comfortable but lower than the X4.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I don’t like SUVs, but, in my opinion, BMW SUVs are the best ones available. Given what you say you’re looking for I’d say go for the X4.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-22-2023, 06:01 PM   #6
Mark Venture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
4 - like sitting in a lazy couch
X - sitting on a chair

4 - corners like a go kart
X - corners like a bus

4 - less room for everyone & things
X - more room for everyone & things

4 - quieter like room
X - noisier like a lounge

that's that in a nutshell
i found the X3 uncomfortable to sit in. not sure about X4. have you tried a 5 series? they are very comfortable but lower than the X4.
I have thought about the 540i, but for some reason I see a car like the 5 being a few years further down the road for me, when comfort and quietness float to the very top of my list when thinking about what I want from a car. If I had to guess that's about 5-6 years out from now.
What you are saying is interesting about both comfort and noise. So you drove an M440 GC and an X3, and found the M440i to be more comfortable and quieter than the X3? That surprises me, I assumed SUVs were geared towards a less sporting intent, so would do better in terms of noise and comfort than a sporty sedan.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
Mark Venture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I donÂ’t like SUVs, but, in my opinion, BMW SUVs are the best ones available. Given what you say youÂ’re looking for IÂ’d say go for the X4.
Honestly, I never have either. I actually bought a new X3 about 10 years ago, having talked myself into it at the time. That was the wrong car for me at that point. I dropped the X3 shortly after and bought a new 440i GC and felt right at home again.
What is making me look at an SUV now is a few things. One is my perception (I don't know if studies back this up or not) that with the proliferation on the roads of giant, cruise ship sized pick ups and SUVs, I am more likely to not end up underneath one of those giant vehicles in an accident scenario. I feel like these now common huge vehicles would land on top of a low slung sedan in an accident.
SUVs also have a ride height advantage and better visibility, along with utility/storage you won't get in a sedan.
The M440 GC though (just like my old first gen 440i GC) is a hatchback and I love that. Perfect melding of sedan with large opening access to storage like an SUV.
Then there is the cars' appearance and acceleration. The M440 (to my eyes, I know this is subjective) is leagues more handsome than the X4 M40, and is quicker as well.
I'm struggling with this a bit, I'm sure that's easily seen in what I write here
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:15 PM   #8
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I never have either. I actually bought a new X3 about 10 years ago, having talked myself into it at the time. That was the wrong car for me at that point. I dropped the X3 shortly after and bought a new 440i GC and felt right at home again.
What is making me look at an SUV now is a few things. One is my perception (I don't know if studies back this up or not) that with the proliferation on the roads of giant, cruise ship sized pick ups and SUVs, I am more likely to not end up underneath one of those giant vehicles in an accident scenario. I feel like these now common huge vehicles would land on top of a low slung sedan in an accident.
SUVs also have a ride height advantage and better visibility, along with utility/storage you won't get in a sedan.
The M440 GC though (just like my old first gen 440i GC) is a hatchback and I love that. Perfect melding of sedan with large opening access to storage like an SUV.
Then there is the cars' appearance and acceleration. The M440 (to my eyes, I know this is subjective) is leagues more handsome than the X4 M40, and is quicker as well.
I'm struggling with this a bit, I'm sure that's easily seen in what I write here
Oh, yes. I get all that. And, if highway safety were my overriding priority, I would get another X5 (I’ve had two). I would imagine, however, that the current GC is decently safe. It’s almost as big as a 5 series these days. Lower, yes. But that’s why it’s more fun to drive.
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:21 PM   #9
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What you are saying is interesting about both comfort and noise. So you drove an M440 GC and an X3, and found the M440i to be more comfortable and quieter than the X3? That surprises me, I assumed SUVs were geared towards a less sporting intent, so would do better in terms of noise and comfort than a sporty sedan.
you wouldn't believe me but it was noisy! i think the boxy chamber became a speaker box for noise.

wind noise, road noise, every noise was more obvious.

the other car also had noise but it was directional - wind noise from there, road noise from there, the X3 - all noise became surround sound they came from everywhere.

and i didn't like the upright seats, if they were comfortable like the X5 that would be ok, but the seats were hard and slippery.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 08:23 PM   #10
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
over here we have the X5 M50D diesel with 4 turbos that gets infinite MPG. i don't think you guys have that one. amazing thing to drive and i'm sure it's safe from crashes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #11
madpistol
Major
Rep

To everyone that hasn't driven an M440i GC, it is a very quiet car. It is very well insulated and isolated from the road. Obviously it isn't 5/7 series levels of isolation, but it is a step above the 3 series, and I would assume it's also better than the X3/X4 as well.
      04-23-2023, 02:34 PM   #12
Mark Venture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Oh, yes. I get all that. And, if highway safety were my overriding priority, I would get another X5 (I’ve had two). I would imagine, however, that the current GC is decently safe. It’s almost as big as a 5 series these days. Lower, yes. But that’s why it’s more fun to drive.
What was the driver going from X5's to the M440?

Last edited by Mark Venture; 04-23-2023 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #13
Mark Venture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
To everyone that hasn't driven an M440i GC, it is a very quiet car. It is very well insulated and isolated from the road. Obviously it isn't 5/7 series levels of isolation, but it is a step above the 3 series, and I would assume it's also better than the X3/X4 as well.
Some drivers (and car reviewers for sure) lament quiet and isolation, but as the years go by the "sliders" for characteristics of a car in our heads (well mine, anyway) start to shift. 10 Years ago, those sliders for me might have been 70% performance/handling, 20% the look of the car, 10% comfort. These days those sliders may be more like 50% performance, 30% comfort and 20% the look of the car. (Making those up as an example, and of course there are way more sliders/characteristics than those, but just for an idea.) Anyway, comfort/quiet are markedly more important for me than they were a few years ago.
All that puts me into the Gran Coupe camp, the thing that keeps me second guessing is how the car would fare against a 5000 lb pick up truck or Yukon size SUV (which are more and more common) in an accident when compared to a heavier larger car like an X4. Granted, we shouldn't live our lives being 100% risk averse, if we did, we'd all be shuts ins. And accidents for any given driver are statistically unlikely day to day, but it still makes me think.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #14
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:

Some drivers (and car reviewers for sure) lament quiet and isolation, but as the years go by the "sliders" for characteristics of a car in our heads (well mine, anyway) start to shift. 10 Years ago, those sliders for me might have been 70% performance/handling, 20% the look of the car, 10% comfort. These days those sliders may be more like 50% performance, 30% comfort and 20% the look of the car. (Making those up as an example, and of course there are way more sliders/characteristics than those, but just for an idea.) Anyway, comfort/quiet are markedly more important for me than they were a few years ago.
All that puts me into the Gran Coupe camp, the thing that keeps me second guessing is how the car would fare against a 5000 lb pick up truck or Yukon size SUV (which are more and more common) in an accident when compared to a heavier larger car like an X4. Granted, we shouldn't live our lives being 100% risk averse, if we did, we'd all be shuts ins. And accidents for any given driver are statistically unlikely day to day, but it still makes me think.
Now, even though I say the M440i GC is isolated and comfortable, it's still a BMW. It remains flat and hugs corners very well. It is a joy to drive, and it is guaranteed it will give you many more smiles per mile than a comparable X3/X4.
      04-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #15
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What was the driver going from X5's to the M440?
Divorce. The ex got the X5, prompting me to need to rearrange my car priorities as I was left with a two-door convertible but the need to haul and shop for a kid and animals and stuff for a house.

That said, while I appreciated the X5 (most of all on the highway), I really didn’t want it as my only car—because of the aforementioned high center of gravity and more cumbersome handling (remember, my primary car was a 2 series convertible with a limited slip). And the X5 had the v8 engine, which I would not want to try to keep long term.

I was all set to buy an X3, until the new GC came out with the B58 engine. I was torn between the two, but knew in my heart of hearts that the GC was the best happiness fit—with reasonable practicality and safety.
Appreciate 0