Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions On the horns of a dilemma - M340i vs C43

06-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #133
rad21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Luckily I am older now and understand mortality better so the 440i has more grip than I have balls.
Agree 100%
      06-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #134
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB_ View Post
You realise your posts do not come off as credible right? It's so often the same with the most zealous of fans, irrespective of the products in question, be they Apple vs Android, BMW vs Mercedes, Samsung vs LG, PS5 vs Series X etc; "My buddy has a" "My brother traded his" "I have another friend" "Everyone I know". It's quite hilarious.
You're entitled to your own opinion bro! No need for the personal attacks. Glad I got such a rise out of you that you wasted 20 minutes typing some shit I didn't even read.

Enjoy both of your boats.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #135
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Another thing I find is that when doing extreme high speeds on straights, even on the stiffest suspension set up the M340i almost has a very mild porpoising effect, where larger bumps/lumps in the road, will put it into a temporary very mild vertical up down waft, whereas the C43's stiffer suspension makes the exact same bump disperse through the car/suspension much quicker, so you don't end up feeling as much vertical wobbling/waft. You only notice this at high speeds though.
Well that's ironic.... perhaps Mercedes' F1 department should take notes from their road cars

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:46 AM   #136
NIB_
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43, BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I can get where you are coming from. Back in the late 90s I had a Porsche 924s and it handled on rails but if you pushed too far it would swing on you like a prize fighter, serious snap oversteer but you had to be doing really dumb stuff.

A looser car is more fun on the day to day because you can make it step out without doing ludicrous stuff, but if I am on a mountain pass I would want the tighter car every time.

Luckily I am older now and understand mortality better so the 440i has more grip than I have balls.
Yeap, here's a few GIFs of me on a mountain pass in the C43 lol. Though this particular point was less precarious as there were no cliff drops at the sides unlike at other points further up.

With this type of driving I'm generally a bit more cautious/mindful at the limit with the M340i as it will have traction slip at some point, whereas the C43 sort of go-karts around like it's on rails. Obviously you can immediately correct oversteer in the M340i, however when you're this close to walls etc, the margins for error are extremely thin. Ultimately, it's much harder to break traction in the C43 in decent weather, but again, the differences will be subjective as to which people prefer.

interestingly there's this track comparison video of the two (touring not sedans like mine) which sort of highlights what I'm talking about to a much more extreme degree. You can see that the M340i is more unruly, the C43 more composed/progressive.

The M340i still comes out a fraction faster on the lap time (though it does have better tyres which may have made a difference), despite all the traction slip, and I think that deficit is made up by its speed advantage. Whilst 0-60/70 or so feels faster in the C43 due to the louder engine/exhaust sound and more aggressive shifts (gunfire shots on upshift), the M340i is actually a slight margin quicker (from my times around 0.2s quicker 0-60), and a similar if not greater difference beyond 60mph (1/4mile dig) in the higher rpm/speed bands. However, on an actual track, similar to in this video, I think they'll be extremely evenly matched due to the traction/handling differences.

https://youtu.be/9jS92VDe1Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well that's ironic.... perhaps Mercedes' F1 department should take notes from their road cars
I found it amusing for that exact reason too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You're entitled to your own opinion bro! No need for the personal attacks. Glad I got such a rise out of you that you wasted 20 minutes typing some shit I didn't even read.

Enjoy both of your boats.
Thats fine since my post wasn't really for you anyway, but to better inform the folk who are interested in more genuine discourse and real impressions (not fanboy sensationalism). And don't worry, I absolutely adore both my boats. In my opinion they're among the best daily drivers you can buy today.

Last edited by NIB_; 06-16-2022 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #137
Davidbmwdd
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Yeap, here's a few GIFs of me on a mountain pass in the C43 lol. Though this particular point was less precarious as there were no cliff drops at the sides unlike at other points further up.

With this type of driving I'm generally a bit more cautious/mindful at the limit with the M340i as it will have traction slip at some point, whereas the C43 sort of go-karts around like it's on rails. Obviously you can immediately correct oversteer in the M340i, however when you're this close to walls etc, the margins for error are extremely thin. Ultimately, it's much harder to break traction in the C43 in decent weather, but again, the differences will be subjective as to which people prefer.

interestingly there's this track comparison video of the two (touring not sedans like mine) which sort of highlights what I'm talking about to a much more extreme degree. You can see that the M340i is more unruly, the C43 more composed/progressive.

The M340i still comes out a fraction faster on the lap time (though it does have better tyres which may have made a difference), despite all the traction slip, and I think that deficit is made up by its speed advantage. Whilst 0-60/70 or so feels faster in the C43 due to the louder engine/exhaust sound and more aggressive shifts (gunfire shots on upshift), the M340i is actually a slight margin quicker (from my times around 0.2s quicker 0-60), and a similar if not greater difference beyond 60mph (1/4mile dig) in the higher rpm/speed bands. However, on an actual track, similar to in this video, I think they'll be extremely evenly matched due to the traction/handling differences.

https://youtu.be/9jS92VDe1Pg

I found it amusing for that exact reason too lol.

Thats fine since my post wasn't really for you anyway, but to better inform the folk who are interested in more genuine discourse and real impressions (not fanboy sensationalism). And don't worry, I absolutely adore both my boats. In my opinion they're among the best daily drivers you can buy today.

You have Rwd or awd m340i i am asking becsuse that part of text that m340 slips?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #138
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

and specifically do you have a RWD with staggered wheels and michelin PS4S, cause I haven't had any issues with the rear jumping out on me in the dry, it's super planted even under significant throttle in corner exits
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #139
NIB_
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43, BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbmwdd View Post
You have Rwd or awd m340i i am asking becsuse that part of text that m340 slips?
AWD/XDrive Sedan M340i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
and specifically do you have a RWD with staggered wheels and michelin PS4S, cause I haven't had any issues with the rear jumping out on me in the dry, it's super planted even under significant throttle in corner exits
Factory wheels/staggered (wider at rear). And it is planted like that the majority of driving, just not at the limit or under especially high speed cornering or braking. Do you drive with traction off or in Sport Plus (semi TC), or in Sport/with TC on? Really will depend on a number of factors, eg modes, the amount of speed you're carrying, not to mention surface/tyre temps etc.

Here in the UK, most of the year it's cold/damp,/wet or not particularly hot or dry (though right now it's baking hot so both are super sticky in terms of grip).

I should probably state or preface by mentioning that the majority of people who own these vehicles will likely not push their cars the way I do on occasion, so something to consider lol. I'm specifically refering to really pushing these cars, or potentially the equivalent of track style pace, which they absolutely pull off impressively well.

Last edited by NIB_; 06-16-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #140
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

I almost bought the C43 until I DROVE the M340i-x, then I back-to-back drove the C43 again. Hands down the M340i was better for me. The feel, the balance the grip everything was better in the BMW - but I should have expected that. BMW focus on the driver and the driving experience.

If HOW a car DRIVES is the most important thing, the BMW is the one. The C43, was noisy, harsh and "exciting" but the AWD system is nothing compared to the BMW (M Sport diff makes a massive difference compared to the open-centered AMG diff). The AMG was a bit "annoying" after a while. The BMW was just so drive-able and felt more of a drivers car.

I do prefer the interior and overall look of the AMG, but the way the BMW drove is what sold me. I was immediately impressed and even after jumping right back in the C43 - that sold me harder on the BMW.

I only drove the cars in their Sport+ setting and in everyday driving on my BMW I drive ALWAYS in Sport Individual which is essentially everything Sport+ except the gearbox in Sport. I never, ever use Comfort, Eco, or even plain Sport modes. Just toggle between Sport Individual and Sport Plus modes. So that's me as a driver and it seems that is certainly not the norm, so I may not be the best advice.

In the end, you have to decide what characteristics suit you better. They are both awesome cars and you can't go wrong with either, but they each have their focus and target market, and they are different. Both have their plusses and minuses.

For me (and this is my opinion and conclusion) the big plusses on the M340i-x are:
- M Sport diff - big difference in handling over C43
- Engine - the M340i engine is better engineered IMO, is faster and uses much less fuel than C43.
- The suspension and "noise" overall more liveable and driveable (for aggressive drivers) in the M340i
- The brakes on the M340i - I just liked the overall look better - performance wise that'd be pretty equal.
- The sound system - C43 has no bottom end, no subs and you need to spend money to get it sounding good. The HK in the M340i has two subs and with a bit of tweaking can sound great.
- Funnily enough (as some will say this is a criticism of the M340i) the M340i looks a little plainer, more run-of-the-mill. And for where I live and the way I drive, this does keep the LEO's a bit off my back as I look like I am driving a relatively benign car. I like the "sleeper" aspect of the M340i.

So that's my 2c worth and my decision process.

Last edited by cyam; 06-21-2022 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
baturbo47.50
EXE462100.00
      06-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #141
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
AWD/XDrive Sedan M340i.

Factory wheels/staggered (wider at rear). And it is planted like that the majority of driving, just not at the limit or under especially high speed cornering or braking. Do you drive with traction off or in Sport Plus (semi TC), or in Sport/with TC on? Really will depend on a number of factors, eg modes, the amount of speed you're carrying, not to mention surface/tyre temps etc.

Here in the UK, most of the year it's cold/damp,/wet or not particularly hot or dry (though right now it's baking hot so both are super sticky in terms of grip).

I should probably state or preface by mentioning that the majority of people who own these vehicles will likely not push their cars the way I do on occasion, so something to consider lol. I'm specifically refering to really pushing these cars, or potentially the equivalent of track style pace, which they absolutely pull off impressively well.
I'm finding the front end gives up before the rear on my car at least on the 70mph+ sweepers, tight slower speed corners could have the rear acting up if you aren't being smooth with throttle/steering inputs and of course if the roads are damp off-camber pothole ridden messes then that changes things entirely (looking at you, UK roads)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:09 AM   #142
JITH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i

Hi there. If I am correct, next C43 is going to have four cylinders, 2.0 and that engine might give 408 HP. I do not know if BMW might do something to boost a little more the 387 HP engine that is using in 340i.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #143
bese60
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JITH View Post
Hi there. If I am correct, next C43 is going to have four cylinders, 2.0 and that engine might give 408 HP. I do not know if BMW might do something to boost a little more the 387 HP engine that is using in 340i.
Can't compare HP like this.... otherwise a dodge charger will be king lol. M340i is so far ahead of S4/C43s.... They really did great while leaving more to be desired in an M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #144
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbmwdd View Post
M340i allows unlimited oversteer in sport mode

i tested my car (AWD, staggered, P0 RFT, first wet, then dry)

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1922866
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 01:15 PM   #145
JITH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i

I agree I like my M440i better than the C43... but I believe that we were kind of close toward HP ... and now we have a difference. I agree it is not all about HP. Also they are dropping the 6 cylinders toward 4. I like 6 better all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bese60 View Post
Can't compare HP like this.... otherwise a dodge charger will be king lol. M340i is so far ahead of S4/C43s.... They really did great while leaving more to be desired in an M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #146
chrish.22
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

First off, great write up! Really loved your take on both of these cars and it was very well done!

Wanted to chime in a bit here to offer my perspective as I did get the chance to experience both as daily drivers for a bit of time. The main difference was that I had the rwd models instead of xdrive/4matic! I'll just quickly go over my views on why I would prefer one over the other as we already know how great these machines are.

Suspension
The suspension on the c43 felt stiff...maybe a bit too stiff. Even with the c43's suspension in the "comfort" mode setting, the ride was still a bit harsh. The c43 doesn't have launch control and some say that's because Mercedes isn't trying to market the vehicle as a true performance vehicle. However true and whether or not that is the case, the suspension just felt too stiff and could be bothersome over time. On the m340i, even with a "stiff" suspension, it feels...right. It's not too harsh, and, in my opinion, not too soft either.

Exhaust
I love the sound of the m340i, but stock comparisons with no mods...I would choose the c43 over the m340i primarily because of the note and volume. In a tunnel, the c43 has upshift gunshots on WOT, while the m340i just has some loud farts. Personally, I love the upshift bangs on the c43, but it also lacked the pops/crackles that the m340i has (pre update, luckily this m340i has not gone through the update where the characteristics of the exhaust have been removed!).

However, the c43's exhaust made me feel more excited and made me smile every time I wanted to push it

Power
From a rwd perspective, I definitely enjoy the m340i significantly more. The power in the m340i feels a lot better; it pulls harder at a faster rate. This makes me smile when I do a pull in the m340i vs the c43 as the c43 pulls...just not as excitingly. The c43 seemed to lag a bit more and when you stepped on the gas to do a quick pass (auto downshift), it felt like the c43 only downshifted a gear, when it should've downshifted 2. With the m340i, it feels like it shifts to the perfect gear and does so pretty smoothly. I'm not well-versed in this area, but maybe it had something to do with the 8 vs 9 speed!

Interior
The instrument cluster in the MB was surprisingly nice! The customizability and theme of the whole interface is something I could definitely love looking at everyday. However, the m340i's center screen wins me over for various reasons. In addition, the interior looked cheap to me. Maybe it was the wood trim, but it also felt cheap to the touch.

Overall I would choose the m340i over the c43 because to me I get a more exciting driving experience. Both have pros and cons and both are great machines, but with everything considered, I love the m340i more! Excited to see which one you end up choosing!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #147
chrish.22
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

First off, great write up! Really loved your take on both of these cars and it was very well done!

Wanted to chime in a bit here to offer my perspective as I did get the chance to experience both as daily drivers for a bit of time. The main difference was that I had the rwd models instead of xdrive/4matic! I'll just quickly go over my views on why I would prefer one over the other as we already know how great these machines are.

Suspension
The suspension on the c43 felt stiff...maybe a bit too stiff. Even with the c43's suspension in the "comfort" mode setting, the ride was still a bit harsh. The c43 doesn't have launch control and some say that's because Mercedes isn't trying to market the vehicle as a true performance vehicle. However true and whether or not that is the case, the suspension just felt too stiff and could be bothersome over time. On the m340i, even with a "stiff" suspension, it feels...right. It's not too harsh, and, in my opinion, not too soft either.

Exhaust
I love the sound of the m340i, but stock comparisons with no mods...I would choose the c43 over the m340i primarily because of the note and volume. In a tunnel, the c43 has upshift gunshots on WOT, while the m340i just has some loud farts. Personally, I love the upshift bangs on the c43, but it also lacked the pops/crackles that the m340i has (pre update, luckily this m340i has not gone through the update where the characteristics of the exhaust have been removed!).

However, the c43's exhaust made me feel more excited and made me smile every time I wanted to push it

Power
From a rwd perspective, I definitely enjoy the m340i significantly more. The power in the m340i feels a lot better; it pulls harder at a faster rate. This makes me smile when I do a pull in the m340i vs the c43 as the c43 pulls...just not as excitingly. The c43 seemed to lag a bit more and when you stepped on the gas to do a quick pass (auto downshift), it felt like the c43 only downshifted a gear, when it should've downshifted 2. With the m340i, it feels like it shifts to the perfect gear and does so pretty smoothly. I'm not well-versed in this area, but maybe it had something to do with the 8 vs 9 speed!

Interior
The instrument cluster in the MB was surprisingly nice! The customizability and theme of the whole interface is something I could definitely love looking at everyday. However, the m340i's center screen wins me over for various reasons. In addition, the interior looked cheap to me. Maybe it was the wood trim, but it also felt cheap to the touch.

Overall I would choose the m340i over the c43 because to me I get a more exciting driving experience and I feel a genuine "wow" in this car vs a "nice.." in the c43. Both have pros and cons and both are great machines, but with everything considered, I love the m340i more! Excited to see which one you end up choosing!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #148
thinartichoke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Here's another question. What if the C43 you can get is in wagon form?

I'm currently cross shopping used M340is and C43 wagons in Canada, and am very torn. If we could get the M340i Touring here it would be a no brainer. I love the M340i sedan, but they're so common and coming from an E91 I definitely am a wagon person.

What does everyone think? Does the wagon negate the power train and refinement advantages of the BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #149
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinartichoke View Post
Here's another question. What if the C43 you can get is in wagon form?

I'm currently cross shopping used M340is and C43 wagons in Canada, and am very torn. If we could get the M340i Touring here it would be a no brainer. I love the M340i sedan, but they're so common and coming from an E91 I definitely am a wagon person.

What does everyone think? Does the wagon negate the power train and refinement advantages of the BMW?
Minimal to none, (imo) you get the same centre gravity as the sedan with practicality of an SUV, wagon is a no brainer.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #150
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not going to sound like a six cylinder, just louder in the USA compared to the EU:

Appreciate 0