Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Should I get winter or all season tires for a semi-mild winter?

11-02-2023, 06:00 AM   #1
AswB58
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Should I get winter or all season tires for a semi-mild winter?

I live NC and we don’t get much snow but it does get very cold and frosty. Today driving to work the temps were 26 degrees.

So even if we don’t have snow, would winter tires be better than all seasons?

I currently have summers on and the price difference between all seasons and winters aren’t big.

Thinking of doing a 18x8 squared setup with 245/45 tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 06:29 AM   #2
Sporto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M340xi

Garage List
2024 M340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AswB58 View Post
I live NC and we don’t get much snow but it does get very cold and frosty. Today driving to work the temps were 26 degrees.

So even if we don’t have snow, would winter tires be better than all seasons?

I currently have summers on and the price difference between all seasons and winters aren’t big.

Thinking of doing a 18x8 squared setup with 245/45 tires.
I live in NC in the Triangle. I am in RFT status on an X drive and have a squared setup with factory 19x8 all seasons RF. I personally don’t want to change tires and in NC winter tires are not needed. If yours is RWD it may help but in my area we get a coating of ice or snow once every one to two years so don’t think it is needed and all season should be fine. Back in the mid 90s we got a foot of snow and things were shut down for a week. Also I read a review where thinner tires are better on wet roads and also read where other owners would use a square setup of 18x8 for winter which are 225 from factory. So I think I wouldn’t get 245 for winter.

In general you may want to consider the reverse if you want to switch tires - getting great summer tires and using factory all season tires for winter.

Note that 245 on 8“ rims is not recommended by some and depends on brake package, etc. I’m not knowledgeable enough with tires to advise so please research that and others will probably chime in. I do stand by my comment above on wet traction and will post screenshots of a video I watched comparing wet/dry for 215/225/245 on 7/8/9 rims. You will see a caution icon on some combos as they aren’t the recommended fit. Do notice the 225/8 has better performance on wet and dry then the 245/8. In general the 225/8 is the only combo without a caution icon that outperforms the control case (straight line across top of bars) in both wet and dry and seems best overall. And the 225/8 is better in dry and wet than 245/8.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AswB581.50
      11-02-2023, 08:28 AM   #3
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
I’m in NYC and hedged on global warming and went performance tires on mine. If it does snow, my front lip will be plowing the snow for the city anyway, so it’ll be garaged. I do have an X3 for excessive snow with Blizzaks..
Would you go all-season and get spare winters if needed?
Appreciate 1
AswB581.50
      11-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Get All seasons, DWS06 or Michelin AS4.
Appreciate 1
AswB581.50
      11-02-2023, 09:03 PM   #5
AswB58
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoy View Post
I’m in NYC and hedged on global warming and went performance tires on mine. If it does snow, my front lip will be plowing the snow for the city anyway, so it’ll be garaged. I do have an X3 for excessive snow with Blizzaks..
Would you go all-season and get spare winters if needed?
No the plan was to get a cheap set of wheels throw tires on them and get some actual nice (bbs lms?) and wider wheels for summer with a good spec.

So I’m really not sure if my climate needs actual winter tires or just set of all seasons.
Appreciate 1
chutoy149.50
      11-02-2023, 09:14 PM   #6
AswB58
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporto View Post
I live in NC in the Triangle. I am in RFT status on an X drive and have a squared setup with factory 19x8 all seasons RF. I personally don’t want to change tires and in NC winter tires are not needed. If yours is RWD it may help but in my area we get a coating of ice or snow once every one to two years so don’t think it is needed and all season should be fine. Back in the mid 90s we got a foot of snow and things were shut down for a week. Also I read a review where thinner tires are better on wet roads and also read where other owners would use a square setup of 18x8 for winter which are 225 from factory. So I think I wouldn’t get 245 for winter.

In general you may want to consider the reverse if you want to switch tires - getting great summer tires and using factory all season tires for winter.

Note that 245 on 8“ rims is not recommended by some and depends on brake package, etc. I’m not knowledgeable enough with tires to advise so please research that and others will probably chime in. I do stand by my comment above on wet traction and will post screenshots of a video I watched comparing wet/dry for 215/225/245 on 7/8/9 rims. You will see a caution icon on some combos as they aren’t the recommended fit. Do notice the 225/8 has better performance on wet and dry then the 245/8. In general the 225/8 is the only combo without a caution icon that outperforms the control case (straight line across top of bars) in both wet and dry and seems best overall. And the 225/8 is better in dry and wet than 245/8.
Unfortunately mine came factory with performance tires, but if they didn’t I’d just run the all seasons.

Fortunately I have confirmed fitment and as long as I have the right offset it’ll fit perfect.

The end goal is too have another set of wheels that are nicer and a style I actually like and will give me a flush look. I would then run a wider performance tire.

I really appreciate the insight, I don’t live in the triangle but commute to Winston-Salem. I think I’ll probably end up going with an all season so in the future I can throw an aggressive tire on my “nice” wheels and not worry much about street performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
AswB58
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Get All seasons, DWS06 or Michelin AS4.
I’ve been seeing really good reviews on the Continentals but I’m leaning more towards CrossClimate 2s because of the snow rating. Plus I don’t need the performance as I already have set of summers.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 06:53 AM   #8
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AswB58 View Post
I’ve been seeing really good reviews on the Continentals but I’m leaning more towards CrossClimate 2s because of the snow rating. Plus I don’t need the performance as I already have set of summers.
I have cross climate on another car in the family (Lexus ES). Good tires but they are touring tires and feel quite soft and mushy. You would be giving up very little with a DWS06+ and gaining a ton in terms of grip, response, and overall driving enjoyment. I have run all seasons in NYC for years without issue, and generally we see much more snow here than NC.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #9
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
i use Michelin AS4 on stock wheels for winter tires because summer tires are less safe in cold temps. we also get more rain in winter and wide tires hydroplane more easily. The AS4s do fine with the light and short lived snow we get in my area each year (just take it easy).
Appreciate 0